Proposal: Montréal - NYI

Saxon

Mar 9, 2015
maybe something to do with 2 coaches in a row now have demoted him to the 4th line.

Offensive skill is one thing, but when 2 coaches have decided that he's too stupid to learn how to play defensive hockey, then that's a pretty big red flag. Both of these coaches see his flaws as such a negative that they outweigh his offensive skill.

Actually Therrien had him as his #1 centre until he had a knee injury. He had 23 points in 25 games and the Habs had the best start in franchise history. Only someone who completely lacks critical thinking would not see Galchenyuk as a top line player....like Clode for example...

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I can't speak for others. Kessel is worth more than AG27+1st. I'll agree with you on that. Also true that AG value is at its lowest and while he might have fetched slightly more right after his 30 goal performance, his value didnt dip to not being worth UFA De Haan 1v1 lol-that is laughable.

The answer, lies somewhere in between.

Yeah I can agree with this. Galchenyuk probably has the value of another struggling high potential young player straight up, whether it be a defenseman or a forward. Maybe someone like Bjugstad for Galchenyuk? He has had a nice start to this year so far though. I don't know who would fall in that category right now, because the season is still pretty short and it doesn't usually become obvious for who is struggling on the year until later in the season.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The reality is that there may be several offensive players available, or at least in the near future.

Duchene, Turris, JVR, bozak, RNH,just off the top of my head that are either UFAs and/or have been rumoured to be available.

I'd guess a guy like JVR, would be a good target and come cheaper as a possible rental.

- Duchene: Yes. Asking price is very high

- Turris: Yes. He is a pending UFA. Teams want to negotiate a contract extension but Turris will not sign unless he gets what he feels he can get as a UFA. Turris is very much at play by the Sens though.

- JVR and Bozak: Not sure if they are available. The leafs top 9 is very deep and if you remove these two, the Leafs will have a hard time filling in these holes with equal talent. Especially when the teams that are interested in JVR and Bozak will offer prospects and picks.

- Galchenyuk: 3 years at $4.9M and then UFA.

- Who else from the top of your head? Lets focus on players with similar offensive talent and not Pending UFA's

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
What's the offer? Remember, we are looking for a center and LD package. I just don't see this happening between the Pens/Habs.

- The only guy I can see the Habs interested in is Kessel. Kessel for Galchenyuk +. And we are not trading any 1st round picks.

- We will not be trading for the smaller player in Guentzel.

- I don't see the Pens trading any LD

- I don't see any potential young centers we are interested in

We keep Galchenyuk if you are trying to buy low.
I want Montreal to win any trade if they do decide to trade Galchenyuk but what some are expecting in return isn't going to happen .. Galchenyuk has major question marks about his game

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I can't speak for others. Kessel is worth more than AG27+1st. I'll agree with you on that. Also true that AG value is at its lowest and while he might have fetched slightly more right after his 30 goal performance, his value didnt dip to not being worth UFA De Haan 1v1 lol-that is laughable.

The answer, lies somewhere in between.

- I agree Kessel is worth a lot. I just don't see a deal between the Pens and Habs. Habs are not going all in for a RW player. It don't make sense and what else do the Pens have to offer that they are willing to trade?

- The issue with Galchenyuk is the same as Duchene last year. We know he is not putting up points and we know he is a winger and fringe center but we are not trading him at low value. Give us fair value or we keep him. It's pretty simple and the Habs are inot going to make a desperate trade.

- Remember the Galchenyuk + 1st for Drouin rumors? 95% of the fans on these boards thought that was a good trade. Our GM is not afraid to make trades but he's not going to trade Galchenyuk for a bag of pucks.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
- Duchene: Yes. Asking price is very high

- Turris: Yes. He is a pending UFA. Teams want to negotiate a contract extension but Turris will not sign unless he gets what he feels he can get as a UFA. Turris is very much at play by the Sens though.

- JVR and Bozak: Not sure if they are available. The leafs top 9 is very deep and if you remove these two, the Leafs will have a hard time filling in these holes with equal talent. Especially when the teams that are interested in JVR and Bozak will offer prospects and picks.

- Galchenyuk: 3 years at $4.9M and then UFA.

- Who else from the top of your head? Lets focus on players with similar offensive talent and not Pending UFA's

Well I'd assume JVR or bozak, not both.

Either way, why do I have to compare only to non-UFAs. Not all teams are looking big shake-ups. Some teams are looking simply to add.

Trading for Galchenyuk, because he has over 3 years remaining, likely costs more, and therefore could take more from the roster.

The habs aren't selling, they're looking for NHL level players. So there's a better chance that Toronto would be willing to move JVR for futures rather than lose him for nothing.

Either way, there could be several offensive players available on the market. No one knows for sure.
We don't even know if Galchenyuk is truly available. But if he was, the habs are doing a pitiful job and maintaining his trade value.

Then there's all the players who could shake loose in a couple of months when playoff pictures start to unfold. Boston, NYR and SJ are off to tough starts.

So there could be tons of options with just a bit more time.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
It's not THAT bad a return. De Haan is either going to be gone or resigned at 5M per with length after the season. Nelson will be an RFA that averages 20g a season. He's probably going to cost in the 4-5M area as well.

That being said, I don't know anything about McCarron as a prospect.

He's pretty slow and offensive skills haven't come along as expected, but he's big and physical and should carve out a decent 4th line career at worst

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I want Montreal to win any trade if they do decide to trade Galchenyuk but what some are expecting in return isn't going to happen .. Galchenyuk has major question marks about his game

What are the return examples that are not going to happen? I agree Galchenyuk has question marks and I don't believe any Habs fan thinks we can get a 3rd overall pick in return value at this stage. However, Please tell us. What trade proposals are you referring to?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
:eek:

okay yeah good luck with that then

Thanks. We will take this good luck you wish for us and keep Galchenyuk. His value is not getting any lower so why would we just give him to other teams because they want to buy low? Like I said before, if you believe in his potential, give us a fair offer. If you don't believe in him, move on and stop trolling our player values. Not saying you have but this is the main message if you are negotiating for Galchenyuk.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
What's the offer? Remember, we are looking for a center and LD package. I just don't see this happening between the Pens/Habs.

- The only guy I can see the Habs interested in is Kessel. Kessel for Galchenyuk +. And we are not trading any 1st round picks.

- We will not be trading for the smaller player in Guentzel.

- I don't see the Pens trading any LD

- I don't see any potential young centers we are interested in

We keep Galchenyuk if you are trying to buy low.
We as Hab fans don't have to worry about receiving Guentzel Crosby would have that trade blocked and stopped himself as would Malkin . If the rumors are true about Sullivan not being the biggest fan of Kessel . Then it would be an offer of Kessel 10 % retained on his salary and maybe a late 1st rd pick ?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
We as Hab fans don't have to worry about receiving Guentzel Crosby would have that trade blocked and stopped himself as would Malkin . If the rumors are true about Sullivan not being the biggest fan of Kessel . Then it would be an offer of Kessel 10 % retained on his salary and maybe a late 1st rd pick ?

Galchenyuk + for Kessel would make the Habs think. I'm unsure about it but it would make us think. The biggest issue is we trade our best trade asset for a RW when we need help at center and LD. I just don't see a trade between the Habs and Pens IMO.

cafelatte

Jan 11, 2014
People on this board are so funny ...

So Galchenyuk is put on the fourth line for one game and now he's worth nothing ... when he did a few shifts on the first line (on that same game) did his value suddenly go up?

When Babcock put Marner on the fourth line did his value go down as well?

Get real ... a player's value is based on age, contract, past performance, perceived potential, etc. ... this 4th line argument is ridiculous.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Bergevin has been scouting NYI recently.

We know the situation with Galchenyuk in MTL.

What about:

To MTL: Brock Nelson and Calvin De Haan

To NYI: Alex Galchenyuk, Michael McCarron and 3rd round draft pick

Thoughts?

Doesn't seem too far off IMO

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
What are the return examples that are not going to happen? I agree Galchenyuk has question marks and I don't believe any Habs fan thinks we can get a 3rd overall pick in return value at this stage. However, Please tell us. What trade proposals are you referring to?
Honestly I don't see any team trading a defenceman any better than Alzner or Petry for Galchenyuk I also don't see any team trading #1 or even a # 2 center for him

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Honestly I don't see any team trading a defenceman any better than Alzner or Petry for Galchenyuk I also don't see any team trading #1 or even a # 2 center for him

All depends on circumstance. Sakic is waiting for the right deal for Duchene and we should do the same for Galchenyuk. We should not be in a hurry to trade Galchenyuk at low value. It don't make any sense for our team this year and future years.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
People on this board are so funny ...

So Galchenyuk is put on the fourth line for one game and now he's worth nothing ... when he did a few shifts on the first line (on that same game) did his value suddenly go up?

When Babcock put Marner on the fourth line did his value go down as well?

Get real ... a player's value is based on age, contract, past performance, perceived potential, etc. ... this 4th line argument is ridiculous.

100% agree! The bolted part is reality

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Bergevin has been scouting NYI recently.

We know the situation with Galchenyuk in MTL.

What about:

To MTL: Brock Nelson and Calvin De Haan

To NYI: Alex Galchenyuk, Michael McCarron and 3rd round draft pick

Thoughts?

Lot better than the Galchenyuk for Leddy proposal, I'll tell you that. A deal centered around Nelson or potentially CDH (I say potentially because Garth has been really hesitant to move defense in-season) would be my best guess of a Galchenyuk offer from an Isles POV. But people are making this offer out to be a lot worse than it is.

What about Nelson + CDH for Galchenyuk + Juulsen?

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I'm ok with the trade straight up for one of Nelson OR DeHaan, but not both. What about Bailey. He does play wing mostly, but he still plays centre every so often when we need it and he's ok..much better and more seasoned defensiveky than Galch. He may not be a huge point getter, but he is very responsible defensively and is a playmaker. Bailey + 3rd for Galch

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
I'm ok with the trade straight up for one of Nelson OR DeHaan, but not both. What about Bailey. He does play wing mostly, but he still plays centre every so often when we need it and he's ok..much better and more seasoned defensiveky than Galch. He may not be a huge point getter, but he is very responsible defensively and is a playmaker. Bailey + 3rd for Galch
What now? That's a worse offer than the OP IMO.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
All depends on circumstance. Sakic is waiting for the right deal for Duchene and we should do the same for Galchenyuk. We should not be in a hurry to trade Galchenyuk at low value. It don't make any sense for our team this year and future years.

I agree but how long can management wait ? How long are they willing to wait ? Does ownership force management into making a trade that they'd rather not make but make it anyway because their losing ? If it means keeping their jobs what does management do ? The whole situation all scenarios are just bad.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Lot better than the Galchenyuk for Leddy proposal, I'll tell you that. A deal centered around Nelson or potentially CDH (I say potentially because Garth has been really hesitant to move defense in-season) would be my best guess of a Galchenyuk offer from an Isles POV. But people are making this offer out to be a lot worse than it is.

What about Nelson + CDH for Galchenyuk + Juulsen?

- Please consider that Nelson is a pending RFA and will be asking for a contract we might not like.

- Please consider that CDH is a pending UFA and he can walk if we don't give him UFA value.

- Please consider that Galchenyuk is already on a very team friendly contract.

- Add Juulsen on top of Galchenyuk when in 12 month time we are only left with Nelson who could give us major headaches in contract negotiations is not a good deal for the Habs!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I agree but how long can management wait ? How long are they willing to wait ? Does ownership force management into making a trade that they'd rather not make but make it anyway because their losing ? If it means keeping their jobs what does management do ? The whole situation all scenarios are just bad.

What moves to do you think will get us to where we are today vs being a deep playoff cup contender? When you consider this, you realize that we need to have patience and if we make trades, we need to ensure it works fur us today and for the future. Making lateral moves at this stage only keeps us in the middle of the pack which is a terrible place to be

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad