Proposal: Montréal - NYI

Felkov

May 17, 2010
St-Hilaire
Bergevin has been scouting NYI recently.

We know the situation with Galchenyuk in MTL.

What about:

To MTL: Brock Nelson and Calvin De Haan

To NYI: Alex Galchenyuk, Michael McCarron and 3rd round draft pick

Thoughts?

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
How come a 23 years old with already a 30 goals season isn't even worth Nelson OR De Haan? I know Galchenyuk has defensive flaws but we can't deny his offensive skills.
maybe something to do with 2 coaches in a row now have demoted him to the 4th line.

Offensive skill is one thing, but when 2 coaches have decided that he's too stupid to learn how to play defensive hockey, then that's a pretty big red flag. Both of these coaches see his flaws as such a negative that they outweigh his offensive skill.

Reactions: periferal

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
maybe something to do with 2 coaches in a row now have demoted him to the 4th line.

Offensive skill is one thing, but when 2 coaches have decided that he's too stupid to learn how to play defensive hockey, then that's a pretty big red flag. Both of these coaches see his flaws as such a negative that they outweigh his offensive skill.

It's quite obvious Bergevin is the reason he's getting dumped into the 4th line. Julien said Chucky's gonna get every opportunity to show his skills as a centre but hasn't played him as a centre one single time this year.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
There is a team hiding in the back round just waiting for the right time to make an offer for Galchenyuk .. That team is Pittsburgh

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
terrible for islanders. that package doesn't even get de haan or nelson
That... um... what? I mean, yeah, the OP by itself is bad, and if you only target one of them it's an awkward matchup needs-wise, but Nelson has had a similar "is he or isn't he" relationship with the center position.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't get why Habs fans think that they have valuable trade assets on their team that they're willing to trade. It's like every trade thread started by Habs fans is just comically lopsided for the Habs.

Galchenyuk's value is at a near all time low right now. McCarron is a nothing piece. A 3rd does nothing to bridge the gap between Nelson plus De Haan against Galchenyuk. If Galchenyuk was actually a "30 goal scorer" like Habs fans try to say, they wouldn't be including him in every proposal.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
How come a 23 years old with already a 30 goals season isn't even worth Nelson OR De Haan? I know Galchenyuk has defensive flaws but we can't deny his offensive skills.

Don't bother. People have devalued Galchenyuk so much he is worth a bag of pucks. The trade proposal is actually very solid when you consider De Hann is a pending UFA. There are some Habs fans that don't touch this trade though.

I believe Snow has provided an offer for Galchenyuk as it makes sense to acquire him and add offensive talent for Tavares to play with and hopefully give him reason to re-sign. This is why Bergevin is watching so many Islander games. We can only speculate at what players are on the table from both sides though.

Other than Duchene where the asking price is insane, Galchenyuk is the next best offensive talent that could be acquired. GM's are interested for sure when offensive players like Galchenyuk are available.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Souffle

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
It's not THAT bad a return. De Haan is either going to be gone or resigned at 5M per with length after the season. Nelson will be an RFA that averages 20g a season. He's probably going to cost in the 4-5M area as well.

That being said, I don't know anything about McCarron as a prospect.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't get why Habs fans think that they have valuable trade assets on their team that they're willing to trade. It's like every trade thread started by Habs fans is just comically lopsided for the Habs.

Galchenyuk's value is at a near all time low right now. McCarron is a nothing piece. A 3rd does nothing to bridge the gap between Nelson plus De Haan against Galchenyuk. If Galchenyuk was actually a "30 goal scorer" like Habs fans try to say, they wouldn't be including him in every proposal.

Galchenyuk is a serious offensive talent and these type of players are rarely available. Give your head a shake.

Reactions: La Fierte du Quebec

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Galchenyuk is a serious offensive talent and these type of players are rarely available. Give your head a shake.

If he was actually this good, he wouldn't be available, especially from a team starved for offensively talented players. He gets offered up in every thread by Habs fans, if he was actually as good as what Habs fans tried to argue, that wouldn't be the case.

In reality, Galchenyuk has been trash so far this year and has been demoted to the 4th line because of that. If you're expecting him to have anything close to the value that he had in say 2015-2016, you're going to be disappointed. He's probably viewed more as a reclamation project than a serious asset at this point.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
No team believes Galchenyuk is a true 30 goal scorer. The only season he reached 30 was the year Montreal missed the playoffs 2 seasons ago when they were just playing out the season and Galchenyuk got on a streak scoring a few goals in meaningless games

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
There is a team hiding in the back round just waiting for the right time to make an offer for Galchenyuk .. That team is Pittsburgh

What's the offer? Remember, we are looking for a center and LD package. I just don't see this happening between the Pens/Habs.

- The only guy I can see the Habs interested in is Kessel. Kessel for Galchenyuk +. And we are not trading any 1st round picks.

- We will not be trading for the smaller player in Guentzel.

- I don't see the Pens trading any LD

- I don't see any potential young centers we are interested in

We keep Galchenyuk if you are trying to buy low.

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007
I can understand other teams fans reluctance to agree with such a high value for AG27 but let's be real here, a 5th year,23 yr old with that kind of skill isn't available every day.

It's not always so black and white, to say, well if he isnt good enough for Montreal, than it will be the same with any other team. Its situational.

He wouldnt be the first player to flourish after being traded elsewhere.

One thing is for sure. As a Habs fan, i personally do not trade AG 1 for 1 vs B.Nelson. At the very best, it's a lateral move. And adding De Haan, who is basically a rental, seeing that he has no contract next season-does nothing for us.

Pass.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
So the Penguins are giving up the better player in Kessel for Galchenyuk because......reasons? And it's nice to see you'd say no to Guentzel for Galchenyuk, because that pretends that he'd even be available for Galchenyuk in the first place.

I can understand other teams fans reluctance to agree with such a high value for AG27 but let's be real here, a 5th year,23 yr old with that kind of skill isn't available every day.

He definitely has value, but his value is at an all time low right now and it's not close to what a lot of Habs fans think his value is. Like right above you, someone posted that Galchenyuk+ for Kessel was a workable deal, where the + wasn't going to include a 1st. That's just flat out ridiculous.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If he was actually this good, he wouldn't be available, especially from a team starved for offensively talented players. He gets offered up in every thread by Habs fans, if he was actually as good as what Habs fans tried to argue, that wouldn't be the case.

In reality, Galchenyuk has been trash so far this year and has been demoted to the 4th line because of that. If you're expecting him to have anything close to the value that he had in say 2015-2016, you're going to be disappointed. He's probably viewed more as a reclamation project than a serious asset at this point.

Just because the Habs have mismanaged Galchenyuk, it doesn't mean we should trade him at low value. Julien has placed Galchenyuk on the 4th line and it's a questionable move IMO. Many teams have players that fall out of favor and they do get traded. Seguin was one and Duchene might be another.

We keep Galchenyuk because we are in no hurry to make desperate moves. If you believe in him, make a fair offer. If you don't believe in him, move on. Stop trolling our player values. It's getting old.

Reactions: La Fierte du Quebec

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Just because the Habs have mismanaged Galchenyuk, it doesn't mean we should trade him at low value. Julien has placed Galchenyuk on the 4th line and it's a questionable move IMO. Many teams have players that fall out of favor and they do get traded. Seguin was one and Duchene might be another.

We keep Galchenyuk because we are in no hurry to make desperate moves. If you believe in him, make a fair offer. If you don't believe in him, move on. Stop trolling our player values. It's getting old.

So then you're going to keep him then, because no one is going to pay fair value for Galchenyuk right now. Last time I checked, it's mostly Habs fans making offers with Galchenyuk, it's not other teams fans asking what Galchenyuk would cost.

Reactions: Viqsi

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Don't bother. People have devalued Galchenyuk so much he is worth a bag of pucks. The trade proposal is actually very solid when you consider De Hann is a pending UFA. There are some Habs fans that don't touch this trade so don't listen to the troll comments.

I believe Snow has provided an offer for Galchenyuk as it makes sense to acquire him and add offensive talent for Tavares to play with and hopefully give him reason to re-sign. This is why Bergevin is watching so many Islander games. We can only speculate at what players are on the table from both sides though.

Other than Duchene where the asking price is insane, Galchenyuk is the next best offensive talent that could be acquired. GM's are interested for sure when offensive players like Galchenyuk are available.
The reality is that there may be several offensive players available, or at least in the near future.

Duchene, Turris, JVR, bozak, RNH,just off the top of my head that are either UFAs and/or have been rumoured to be available.

I'd guess a guy like JVR, would be a good target and come cheaper as a possible rental.

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007
So the Penguins are giving up the better player in Kessel for Galchenyuk because......reasons? And it's nice to see you'd say no to Guentzel for Galchenyuk, because that pretends that he'd even be available for Galchenyuk in the first place.

He definitely has value, but his value is at an all time low right now and it's not close to what a lot of Habs fans think his value is. Like right above you, someone posted that Galchenyuk+ for Kessel was a workable deal, where the + wasn't going to include a 1st. That's just flat out ridiculous.

I can't speak for others. Kessel is worth more than AG27+1st. I'll agree with you on that. Also true that AG value is at its lowest and while he might have fetched slightly more right after his 30 goal performance, his value didnt dip to not being worth UFA De Haan 1v1 lol-that is laughable.

The answer, lies somewhere in between.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
So then you're going to keep him then, because no one is going to pay fair value for Galchenyuk right now. Last time I checked, it's mostly Habs fans making offers with Galchenyuk, it's not other teams fans asking what Galchenyuk would cost.

There are a lot of Habs fans on these boards and we didn't have a good start to the season. So yeah, there will be plenty of Habs proposals. He is most definitely available but for a fair market value.

Aside from Duchene, there is no player with the offensive potential that Galchenyuk has that is rumored to be available. We prefer not to trade Galchenyuk but we need a center and LD. Galchenyuk doesn't appear to be either according to our management.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad