OT: Montréal Impact Thread : Un changement de Garde

Status
Not open for further replies.

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012

It was obvious he would be let go from the moment they signed Pantemis and even more after Diop
Trade? I mean I don't see a team he'll be a starter.
He should just go to Europe or a step back to USL if he wants to play on a regular basis.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Diop had better stats in the USL so hopefully he gets back to that form

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
No doubt about it, Raheem will love our city more than his freaking hometown. Alongside with Tabla there'll be at last a TGV in Mtl

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
We've been hearing a lot about potential players coming from Ligue 1. It's not a popular league at all and since we hired Garde, I tried to re-watch (painful I know) and came up with a few interesting players after some quick research. Those are realistic targets, I'm not gonna throw out random names or else this list will never end. It took me 2 days to complete it and im going for reddit post style, so no hate please :):thumbu:

Goalkeepers :

Remi Vercoutre, 37 : Former Lyon player from 2002-2014, which means he played under Garde. Now playing with Caen who are in a good position as of today (9th). Probably have 1 or 2 more year(s) left, would be an interesting emergency cover-up at GK for the 2018 season, not great but a decent gk. Would be a top 5 GK in MLS on paper after the obvious ones. Contract ending this summer.

Yohann Pelé, 35 : Backup Goalie for Marseille, also has a contract running out this summer. A bit less talented than Vercoutre but could definitely be our reliable goalkeeper for a year. Stayed in France his whole career. I wouldn't sign him.

Mathieu Gorgelin, 27 : Lyon 2nd goalie since Lloris left for Tottenham and Lopes took over, it would be a very risky move to bring him in hoping he would bring this team to glory. There's a Garde connection indeed but even Diop has more professional games than him. I guess Bats is the perfect fella to make a conclusion about this unknown individual but we gotta pass .

Center-Backs :

Jeremy Toulalan, 34 : CB but also a DM, Bordeaux where he is the Captain, former France international, old yes but will be an instant team leader (something that is currently severely lacking) and could serve as a cover to Fisher/Cabrera and even Piette/Donadel. No more legs to be a regular starter especially not in this very physical league. Despite his age is an upgrade over Ciman. Played for Malaga, Monaco and of course Lyon under Garde. I believe he is one of the 2 players interested in coming here.

Nicolas Nkoulou, 27 : current Cameroon International, played 5 seasons with Marseille, former high prospect, had a very slow start with Lyon last year. Not in Lyon coach's plan. Is now on loan with Torino FC, He could come to Montreal for almost nothing but would definitely earn in 700-900k range. Oh and definitely a Ciman upgrade. He would be one of the best CBs in this league to not say the best.

Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa, 28 : Joining Roma killed his career, currently rots on the Lyon bench. Would be a good fit to this league, but he is reckless at times. I guess we would be aiming for a Camara replacement. Would come for cheap too, very realistic target.

Center Midfields/Attacking Midfields
:

Jordan Ferri, 25 : Center Midfield, Lyon. Box-to-box midfielder, an engine. Another one of Remi's boys. On his way out, reached his peak. Would be a great GAM signature and could serve the team for many more years to come. According to Transfermarkt, his contract runs until 2020. I haven't seen many games of his.

Clement Grenier, 26
: (DP) Center Midfield and Attacking Midfielder, feels like he is 33. I've been hearing his name for almost 10 years. Contract expiring with Lyon but also looks like he wants to try another European destination. Talented but way too slow. Scrawny, VERY Injury prone but also pretty versatile. Can score from free-kicks. Excellent vision, but like I said he would be a good fit in a more technical league (or NYCFC since they play in a smaller field). I didn't call him the bootleg version of Gourcuff for no reason. Stay away from MLS, Clement.

Hatem Ben Arfa, 30 : (DP) Attacking Midfielder, Right/Left Winger, Forward you name it. PSG. I think everybody knows who he is. I've spoken alot about him recently. His European career is probably near its end. Touted as the 'next Zidane', he obviously didn't live up his hype. Altercations, Immaturity, who knows why and more importantly who cares. He wouldn't be more of a locker room cancer than Ciman tho... Has been linked with a Premier League return. Started at Lyon, played for Marseille, Newcastle and Nice. There's a Garde connection. Would be an epic and a top 5 in this league. I'd say even a top 3. Would give us good shows every week with Piatti and intensify our rivarly with TFC. Loves the camera. Definitely leaving PSG.

Yoann Gourcuff, 31 : (DP) Attacking Midfielder, Secondary Striker. Just like Ben Arfa, another 'next Zidane' that didn't live up his hype mainly due to injuries (mostly mentals) but some attitude problems too. Incredibly skillful he plays for Rennes and couldn't look anymore disinterested from the game I've seen last week, to play for his hometown club (probably because he plays with **** players too). Contract expiring this summer, he would be a top 5 overall in this league. If he is left on his own like he was at Milan, it'd be a disaster. Needs mental strenght, principally because Garde is here, it'd be a new challenge and far from being the target of jokes, he could definitely end his career here just like his dad did. I don't see him playing past 34. I believe he is other played interested in joining.

Forwards :

Jimmy Briand, 32: RW, Forward. Not the player he was once (even if he was never nothing special). Would bag a 7-10 goals a year, he could sign here but as non-DP or else it's useless. Played under Garde, an Obvious Oduro upgrade. Guimgamp could ask for a transfer fee, not sure Saputo favors that.

Yassine Benzia, 23 : Attacking Midfielder, Forward. Lille. Just not good enough to be playing for a top 5 club in France. Good dribbler, inconsistent, GAM/TAM $ not more. Garde gave his first professional chance.

Ola Toivonen, 31
: (DP) Toulouse, Swedish International. He is a tall forgert forward that could favor us our usual 4231 system. Could score 8-12 goals a season. DP money for sure.

Paul Dipietro

Dec 16, 2009
I really hope that we didn't just replace Bologna with Lyon as the club that sends us their garbage...

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Piatti - Ben Arfa - Ballou

94f.png

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
We've been hearing a lot about potential players coming from Ligue 1. It's not a popular league at all and since we hired Garde, I tried to re-watch (painful I know) and came up with a few interesting players after some quick research. Those are realistic targets, I'm not gonna throw out random names or else this list will never end. It took me 2 days to complete it and im going for reddit post style, so no hate please :):thumbu:
As well as Abou Diaby :D

I'll have a Toulalan, Briand and Gourcuff pls. We would still miss a n.9
We're spoiled for choice whether of Guillaume Hoarau or Nolan Roux :D

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Roux was transferred last summer and Hoarau signed an extension in February 2017 (until 2020)

:/

Van Persie's contract is ending next summer though, if they want to bring a big Name in MLS, he would be one though he would more likely end in LA
.. or Fernando Torres?

Last edited:

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
OL – Mercato : Lyon prêt à faciliter un transfert ?

Lyon are to the point where even them are pushing Grenier to come to Montreal.
Well looks like you'll get the player you wanted from day 1, Congrats. I'm all for the transfer as he's very young but wondering could he even play 30 games a season? Because I highly doubt he could, I'd take him with a non-DP tag, GAM please with bonuses. With Mancosu and Ciman gone, you got room. He makes near 4 million with Lyon and this season he played a total of 4 minutes so I guess a million/per minuted played... Plus I think we should always have an open DP spot in case someone big is interested.

Roux was transferred last summer and Hoarau signed an extension in February 2017 (until 2020)

:/

Van Persie's contract is ending next summer though, if they want to bring a big Name in MLS, he would be one though he would more likely end in LA
.. or Fernando Torres?
Galaxy needs him more than we do, trust me. Van Persie to LA as non-DP. We gotta stop giving old players way past their prime, the DP tag, if he comes in Montreal he's a DP, so pass. He slowed down a lot and we can find younger players.

I really hope that we didn't just replace Bologna with Lyon as the club that sends us their garbage...
That's a good point but I'd take a Ferri/Grenier anyday over a Mancosu/Boldor.

Juventus star strongly linked with move to MLS Marchisio linked with MLS. Why do I feel we're one of the teams? I feel we're in the mix with Toronto and NYCFC.

1ok36h.png

even if meant as a joke we gotta stop becoming the laughing stock of the league.

Last edited:

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
is this fool really comparing the Ciman trade to PK's? S-M-H
Like PK was in decline and the direct responsible for Habs failure, plus I don't remember that many people saying it was a good trade. He was about to enter his prime, Ciman's best years were Far behind him. Looking at Twitter it seems that more people cooled down a little and some are finally seeing that it was for the best. And people should stop saying he didn't consent in being traded: well in this MLS league , you're MLS' property not a team's, his agent didn't do his job, a few players had no-trade clause.Not to stir things up, but aside from Ballou, I didn't see a current Mtl player post a farewell for Ciman? coincidence? Dont think so. According to Leduc, He was a locker room problem and one of the reason of Biello's departure.

Speaking of his agent, he seems like the most unprofessional agent I've seen in sports history Ciman 'shocked' by LAFC trade - agent
Is he Ballou agent as well? because it wouldn't surprise me if he was.

Reactions: ShaMu

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Claudio Marchisio can't be linked to TFC or NYCFC (did they replace Pirlo yet?) simply because there's not a chance in hell he will come here without the DP tag. Of course he would be an extraordinary Dzemaili replacement, but how in the world are we going to be able to afford the transfer fee nevermind his salary?

I'd be as shocked as I would be excited if that were to happen.

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
Claudio Marchisio can't be linked to TFC or NYCFC (did they replace Pirlo yet?) simply because there's not a chance in hell he will come here without the DP tag. Of course he would be an extraordinary Dzemaili replacement, but how in the world are we going to be able to afford the transfer fee nevermind his salary?

I'd be as shocked as I would be excited if that were to happen.
TAM $. It's increasing for the next season. https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/12/08/mls-announces-increase-targeted-allocation-money-2018-and-2019

Oh and he's best (childhood) friends with their #10. Quite doable if you ask me

Last edited:

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
I understand, but what about the transfer fee that should still be 10+ mil? I don't know if I'm over-rating the guy, but to me with the career he's had he should be in the Bastian Schweinsteiger salary range.

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
I understand, but what about the transfer fee that should still be 10+ mil? I don't know if I'm over-rating the guy, but to me with the career he's had he should be in the Bastian Schweinsteiger salary range.
You're right about the transfer fee. I thought his contract was up soon. Not like TFC couldn't pay 10M, but I think if they do he'll automatically count as DP. I see him coming on loan, then. Or to NYCFC permanently. One thing for sure he isn't in the coach's current plans. Matuidi robbed his spot. Italy is not going to the WC, probably even retired. He should come here.

Now that you've mentioned transfer fee, we are out of it for sure.

adudeonaforum

Oct 14, 2015
Mtl
**** all those old farts on your list JP.
Spit the money Joey! This is 2018 MLS!
I want Lautaro Martínez damnit!

Reactions: TRG

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
Lol, we can dream

looks like Klejstan to LAFC isn't a done deal and other teams are interested as well. I'm 90% sure we're one of them. We badly need an attacking midfielder since 2012.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad