Monthly News Thread (March 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I mean if the only thing you have done in your life is wrestling, and your boss keeps handing you a bunch of money to work one night a year in a featured match on the biggest show of the year, would you say no?

The issue is and always has been Vince’s total lack of desire to make stars out of his regulars.
He wants to push his part-timers (which now includes Cena), and Roman.

Oct 18, 2011
I don't know how anyone wrestles one match a year, at his age, and expects to be good. I am sure a lot of wrestlers need timing and practice in front of crowds. He goes out there with almost no mobility anymore and tries to be the Undertaker in front of millions. It's not good.

But hey...cash in. You get one life. If Vince wants to pay you loads of money to show up 1 night. Do it.

The matches he has had lately have been nostalgia chants early and then silence when the match sucks.
If this were Hogan he wouldn't be getting such a free pass. Imagine the heat on him showing up for one match doing the same old shit and then disappearing for almost a year.

Anyways I still SEE WM as a one match show. The rest is a cluster f*** so far

Reactions: Fro

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don't know how anyone wrestles one match a year, at his age, and expects to be good. I am sure a lot of wrestlers need timing and practice in front of crowds. He goes out there with almost no mobility anymore and tries to be the Undertaker in front of millions. It's not good.

But hey...cash in. You get one life. If Vince wants to pay you loads of money to show up 1 night. Do it.

The matches he has had lately have been nostalgia chants early and then silence when the match sucks.

People get up for Elias too and react to his shtick and then go silent because every match he has blows, and we have people who want him to tag with Braun and win the titles. The same principles is what’s keeping Undertaker relevant, but keep bringing up the quality of the matches as if that’s the most important part of the equation when in reality, if you’re Vince, it’s the least.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
People get up for Elias too and react to his shtick and then go silent because every match he has blows, and we have people who want him to tag with Braun and win the titles. The same principles is what’s keeping Undertaker relevant, but keep bringing up the quality of the matches as if that’s the most important part of the equation when in reality, if you’re Vince, it’s the least.

What's keeping the Undertaker relevant is that WWE is totally incapable of producing new stars so they lean on legends and guys who made their name elsewhere.

If an old guy showed up on raw back in the day King would make fun of them for being an immobile dinosaur. Now, the commentators put these old guys over as world beaters.

And that's how you get a situation where a guy who was like the 5th most over wrestler in the company 20 years ago is now the most over despite the fact that he is in his 50's.

And it would be one thing if it was one match. It is not one match. It is the entire upper card on the biggest show of the year every year. A WM can't go by without matches with HHH, Shane and Taker. That is not because those guys are such amazing stars. It's because WWE is lazy.

Reactions: KEEROLE Vatanen

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
If this were Hogan he wouldn't be getting such a free pass. Imagine the heat on him showing up for one match doing the same old **** and then disappearing for almost a year.

Anyways I still SEE WM as a one match show. The rest is a cluster **** so far

Totally different situation because of how Hogan’s career went and simply who he is.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
What's keeping the Undertaker relevant is that WWE is totally incapable of producing new stars so they lean on legends and guys who made their name elsewhere.

If an old guy showed up on raw back in the day King would make fun of them for being an immobile dinosaur. Now, the commentators put these old guys over as world beaters.

And that's how you get a situation where a guy who was like the 5th most over wrestler in the company 20 years ago is now the most over despite the fact that he is in his 50's.

And it would be one thing if it was one match. It is not one match. It is the entire upper card on the biggest show of the year every year. A WM can't go by without matches with HHH, Shane and Taker. That is not because those guys are such amazing stars. It's because WWE is lazy.

That is a separate issue that has been going on for years. If you want to complain that they’re going to have serious problems with booking Wrestlemania 39 or 40, I’m all for that, and even at that the past 10 years they started booking stadiums instead of arenas. But Wrestlemania 34 is the event that’s happening next month and the goal is to make it as big as possible.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
That is a separate issue that has been going on for years. If you want to complain that they’re going to have serious problems with booking Wrestlemania 39 or 40, I’m all for that, and even at that the past 10 years they started booking stadiums instead of arenas. But Wrestlemania 34 is the event that’s happening next month and the goal is to make it as big as possible.

1. How is it a seperate issue? They are related. You can't move up the card when 3 mania matches every year are reserved for old guys. Just look at Nakamura and Styles. These 2 guys are actually stars and fans want to see this match. It is maybe the 4th most important match on the card. Then WWE tries to build the rest of the year's storylines on the guys they buried when the most eyes are on the product.

2. They are going to have serious problems booking whatever ppv follows mania. Just like every year, some people subscribe to see the old guys at mania. Then those fans promptly go away for 11 months. Not a great way to bulid your fanbase.

3. Yes, you want to make Mania as big as possible. The problem is that they do that by making 11 months of programing and their entire full time roster as small as possible.

I don't even understand your thinking. How can you be against the booking of the current roster while being ok with Taker's current role because the fans still react? These are conflicting ideas.

Who cares if the fans react? Honestly, I could list 20 legends who would get a monster pop if they returned. That doesn't mean that all of those people should have a high profile match at mania.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
- Wade Keller remarked on Sam Roberts' podcast that he received a DM from a woman in WWE and told him she didn't know about Moolah's history until yesterday.

Alundra Blayze and Liv Morgan have also seemed to indicate that they didn't know of Moolah's history until recently, fans telling Blayze about it on Twitter when she was surprised about the mixed response. Liv Morgan ended up deleting her tweet and replacing it with "Ignorance is bliss."

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
1. How is it a seperate issue? They are related. You can't move up the card when 3 mania matches every year are reserved for old guys. Just look at Nakamura and Styles. These 2 guys are actually stars and fans want to see this match. It is maybe the 4th most important match on the card. Then WWE tries to build the rest of the year's storylines on the guys they buried when the most eyes are on the product.

2. They are going to have serious problems booking whatever ppv follows mania. Just like every year, some people subscribe to see the old guys at mania. Then those fans promptly go away for 11 months. Not a great way to bulid your fanbase.

3. Yes, you want to make Mania as big as possible. The problem is that they do that by making 11 months of programing and their entire full time roster as small as possible.

I don't even understand your thinking. How can you be against the booking of the current roster while being ok with Taker's current role because the fans still react? These are conflicting ideas.

Who cares if the fans react? Honestly, I could list 20 legends who would get a monster pop if they returned. That doesn't mean that all of those people should have a high profile match at mania.

If you’re already sold on AJ and Nakamura as your own personal main event, what does it matter whether or not they are the actual main event? On a smaller show, yes, but Wrestlemania has been and will always be a different animal. I’d like it if they were and hopefully here they do get the time it should. But all of the major PPV’s are all designed on gimmicks and dumping as many people as possible into a slot, except for Summerslam.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
If you’re already sold on AJ and Nakamura as your own personal main event, what does it matter whether or not they are the actual main event? On a smaller show, yes, but Wrestlemania has been and will always be a different animal. I’d like it if they were and hopefully here they do get the time it should. But all of the major PPV’s are all designed on gimmicks and dumping as many people as possible into a slot, except for Summerslam.

What does it matter what I see as the main event? I am talking about how the wrestlers are perceived by casual fans.

I am telling you that the current wrestlers are not given the opportunity to be as big of stars as the legends because the legends always occupy the top spots on the biggest show of the year. You respond by telling me that the legends need to be in the top spots because "Mania has always been a different animal".

Has it really? Was Hulk Hogan in the midcard of the first Wrestlemania because the main event had to be Lou Thesz vs. Bruno Sammartino to draw in the fans? Every wrestlemania before 2002 was built entirely on the active roster. Now we supposedly can't have a big show without a bunch of old farts? Nonsense.

You are saying that a ppv headlined by Styles and Nakamura would be considered a "smaller show". This proves my point. Even you, a hardcore fan, have been conditioned to believe that the old guys are the big stars who headline the big shows.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF

EDIT: statement from Mars Wrigley (who make Snickers)

We were recently made aware of the World Wrestling Entertainment Inc's (WWE) decision to honor a former wrestler during the upcoming WrestleMania 34 event. As a principle-based business that has long championed creating inclusive environments that encourage and empower everyone to reach their full potential, this is unacceptable. We are engaging with the WWE to express our disappointment.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
What does it matter what I see as the main event? I am talking about how the wrestlers are perceived by casual fans.

I am telling you that the current wrestlers are not given the opportunity to be as big of stars as the legends because the legends always occupy the top spots on the biggest show of the year. You respond by telling me that the legends need to be in the top spots because "Mania has always been a different animal".

Has it really? Was Hulk Hogan in the midcard of the first Wrestlemania because the main event had to be Lou Thesz vs. Bruno Sammartino to draw in the fans? Every wrestlemania before 2002 was built entirely on the active roster. Now we supposedly can't have a big show without a bunch of old farts? Nonsense.

You are saying that a ppv headlined by Styles and Nakamura would be considered a "smaller show". This proves my point. Even you, a hardcore fan, have been conditioned to believe that the old guys are the big stars who headline the big shows.

I understand what your point is about bringing back part-timers all the time, but it’s not Wrestlemania on its own that’s gotten people over as stars. You’re putting everything into Wrestlemania as the be-all end-all in terms of creating a star, and that’s not really what it is.

Braun Strowman is the most over person in the company, and he has gotten there due to events that have absolutely nothing to do with Wrestlemania. Just about all of it has been entirely as a result of how he was booked on TV. Against all odds of smarks like you and I who scoffed at the idea of pushing a guy who can’t work and didn’t run the independents being able to get over. Braun has never been on the Wrestlemania main card, and got geeked out in the battle royale on the kick off show. He hasn’t even held a title yet. I don’t even remember if he was involved in that stuff with the Rock. But this is the guy who a lot of people want to main event this show. Screw Cena, everyone was worried about what Braun Strowman’s road to Wrestlemania was. If fact he should probably be the guy to retire the Undertaker, he’s doing it with everyone else.

Maybe that’s next year’s main event.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

EDIT: statement from Mars Wrigley (who make Snickers)

We were recently made aware of the World Wrestling Entertainment Inc's (WWE) decision to honor a former wrestler during the upcoming WrestleMania 34 event. As a principle-based business that has long championed creating inclusive environments that encourage and empower everyone to reach their full potential, this is unacceptable. We are engaging with the WWE to express our disappointment.

Make no bones, Vince figured out it was going to cost him a sponsor, and that is no bueno. It’s why they don’t bring Hogan back.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Now that that is done, you can go about complaining about Warrior or whoever. There's no shortage of options in WWE, or wrestling in general.

Oct 18, 2011
With the sequence of events, it sounds to me more like their main sponsor told them to cut the **** and get rid of the name more than WWE doing the right thing.
Well Snickers probably has employees who are fans, and someone probably mentioned that someone should look into Moolah is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad