Speculation: Molson's Move

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Lose both games on the weekend and I expect big moves
Hopefully no one shows up to the Vegas game as well, even people that have received tickets via a gift

Big moves? What big moves can you possibly expect? It's not like firing the GM will change anything right now.

FlatIron

Sep 27, 2017
Montreal
Hopefully no one shows up to the Vegas game as well, even people that have received tickets via a gift

There were seats available in almost every section for the Vegas game when I was looking yesterday, even in the Family Zone although as of a minute ago Family zone is listed as SOLD OUT.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
The first move would be to either bring in a real President or at least hire someone that isn't a Bergevin loyalist. Someone that looks at the game differently than him, uses different or more varied tools.
This is bang on!! We need someone to really evaluate Berrgevin...he should be made to sweat...he was given 6 yrs of free reign, and look what he has done...we as an organization, have regressed, and it's all on MB...hire a real hockey guy, and let the CULTURE change begin.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Big moves? What big moves can you possibly expect? It's not like firing the GM will change anything right now.

Right now firing the GM might not salvage the season but it would put in place a new management team with a direction
This management team is not the answer, they have no identity and no direction in which they wanna go. 2 years too late they trade to get bigger like the Bruins and Kings, then they decided to go back to skill and speed, then last year they got bigger again at the deadline, and let's be honest they completely screwed up the off season.
It's not about this season, it doesn't look good right now and to be honest unless we can get on a 10 game winning streak, playoffs will probably be out of reach.
It's about bringing some new guys with a different mind set and most importantly a plan in place and a direction in which they plan to go forward for many years, not 1 season at a time like our management right now.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
There were seats available in almost every section for the Vegas game when I was looking yesterday, even in the Family Zone although as of a minute ago Family zone is listed as SOLD OUT.

There are a lot of tickets available for Tuesday, especially in the reds
lots of tickets in the reds and upper bowl belong to scalpers (which they can't sell cause no one wants to pay)
It should be really empty on Tuesday
If that doesn't bother him (Molson), then I'm afraid nothing will for the rest of the season and Bergevin and friends probably survive.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
The first move would be to either bring in a real President or at least hire someone that isn't a Bergevin loyalist. Someone that looks at the game differently than him, uses different or more varied tools.

Totally agree. Not just anyone though, a president that has played and won in Montreal.
Heck even the Bruins did that years ago when they hired Neely and won a Cup and made it to a finals
I'm not saying he is the reason, but bring someone who cares about the team.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
I think the point of bringing in a President now would be to have him act as the interim until the season is over and MB "resigns". He'd supervise the firesale of guys like Plekanec, Shaw, Alzner for picks at the deadline. New GM then comes in during the off-season and decides the fate of Pacioretty, Weber and Price.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Totally agree. Not just anyone though, a president that has played and won in Montreal.
Heck even the Bruins did that years ago when they hired Neely and won a Cup and made it to a finals

I'm not saying he is the reason, but bring someone who cares about the team.

They one more in spite of Neely than because of him. I'm not even sure if having President is pressing, they just need a front office that doesn't continuously hobble themselves by not using all the tools a their disposal.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Molson has no choice but to can MB, if I don't manage my dept well, I am put on the hot seat, so why should MB not as well.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I think the point of bringing in a President now would be to have him act as the interim until the season is over and MB "resigns". He'd supervise the firesale of guys like Plekanec, Shaw, Alzner for picks at the deadline. New GM then comes in during the off-season and decides the fate of Pacioretty, Weber and Price.

A competent AGM or two can do that too. Dubas effectively ran the Leafs pro-side for a year with a lame duck Nonis while Hunter prepped for the draft.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Leafs fan starts a thread bashing the Habs.

One has to laugh at the people jumping ship, like the Habs just hit an iceberg in the Atlantic Division, after only 1
Leafs fan starts a thread bashing the Habs.

Leafs fan poking the Habs fans after 50yrs. of futility, truly should have waited until the Leafs won the SC and the Habs missed the SC playoffs. Jumping ships in the Atlantic Division is for the frontrunners not lifelong Habs fans like Us, can't blame them for trying though, LOL!!!...:laugh::laugh::laugh: Carey Price will be leading the Habs to a long winning streak soon enough, that's a certainty probably why the Leaf fan got his shots in now.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008

The same way that the Leafs brought in Shanahan as President before bringing in Lamoriello and Babcock.

Uncle Gary

Apr 12, 2014
If Molson fires MB during the season I think Timmins will be intern GM. Hopefully then they will clean house.

zx81

Aug 2, 2005

The next 3 games are sure losses. Even at home against Vegas. Vegas is way too fast for our D's.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
So, with the team struggling, naturally you would think Molson would make a move. What do you think it'll be? Big trade? Firing Julien? Firing Bergevin? Or standing pat? I don't think he'll be quiet if they're in grave danger of him missing out on that sweet playoff revenue.

I think we're passed the tipping point, but I think Geoff's got hundred dollar bills in his ears.

I don't know that I'd trust Molson to hire the next guy. MLSE did a good thing and brought in Leiweke to do the hiring. I don't know that 'guy' could be for Montreal. If it were me, this would be my process:

1. Bergevin, Dudley, Carierre are all gone. See ya.
2. Interview process begins. Julien Brisebois is on my list regardless of the language issue. he knows the organization, has a keen business mind, and has worked very well in a deep organization in Tampa. GM of AHL team, oversees contracts for both clubs, manages the cap, assists Yzerman, etc. He may not be a traditional hockey guy, but we see where that's gotten us. If he wants a traditional guy, and maybe mentor, as an assistant that would be his prerogative.
3. New GM sits down with current NHL coaching staff. If they're not on the same page, they're gone. I don't care if Molson has to eat the 4 years or whatever remaining on Julien's deal. Determine the NHL coaching group before moving on to Laval. If the NHL remains, dump Sly to the curb and hire an up and comer who comes from a winner and works well with young players. Well beyond time for a change in the AHL.
4. Sell off Pacioretty and/or Gallagher. The former isn't a good captain, but his production and contract should be worth good futures. Gallagher is a warrior, but I worry about his long term health. I think his value is as high as it will be. Both guys can/should get firsts this year. Deal players to teams likely to miss, or on the bubble and might. Hope for additional lottery picks.
5. Tank for Dahlin. Along with the picks acquired for players in #4, you drastically alter your make in a deep draft and likely end up with at least 2 guys who'll be ready for the NHL next year. If you lucked out and managed to get a Svechnikov or Zadina to go with Dahlin, you're in great shape.
6. Make Weber captain. Let him mentor Dahlin for a year.
7. Make a push for Tavares and/or Turris to address center issues.

zx81

Aug 2, 2005
I would love Timmins as a GM.
He was mad on many trades made by our GM in the recent years. So he would have the control and we will see his real value

Are you guys freaking serious ? Timmins ? If it happens I jump ship and cheer for the Sens.
Oh wait...I panic for nothing. Timmins does not speak French.
Nevermind.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
At this point it's too late to do anything.

I mean realistically, what more damage can Bergevin do? He's already ruined this team for many years to come.

We are loaded with bad contracts for the next 5-10 years. Loaded.

We have no prospects worth anything at all.

We have draft picks, I suppose he could f*** that up, but in the end we draft AND develop so poorly it really doesn't matter.

I mean the worst thing he can do at this point is trade Galchenyuk, but you know what? They already basically ruined this kid by dicking around his development, so even that ultimately isn't going to change much long term.

Firing Bergevin won't change anything because he's already done about as bad as he could possibly have done with this roster. He's f***ed our cup window up and he's f***ed up the next 10 years of the club. It's done, he can't do any more damage. He's basically condemned an entire generation of people to die without seeing the Habs win another cup... That's a sad reality.

They won't fire him now because if they do, they are basically admitting that the season is over. And don't get me wrong, the season IS over. They won't make the playoffs, that's essentially impossible due to the start they had.

Molson still wants to sell tickets. He's still convinced he can, despite the on-ice product. And he's probably right, because there are always going to be 20,000 rubes willing to shell out money and watch this joke of a roster.

He knows if he fires the GM now he's going to have to pull an even more difficult carnie sell-job to get people in the area for the next ~30ish home games.

zx81

Aug 2, 2005
At this point it's too late to do anything.

I mean realistically, what more damage can Bergevin do? He's already ruined this team for many years to come.

He could add some more bad contracts. Don't underestimate the guy. He can do even worse.
Time to stop the bleeding.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad