Prospect Info: Round 1, 7th overall: Matvei Michkov, RW, SKA St. Petersburg (KHL)

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
"He's gotta be better"
"In the KHL, there's lots of looping and swinging, and speed. I already know a couple of things that we're going to have to work on with Michkov to get him ready to play the North American style of game" - Armstrong

"[Lyksell] wants to play a possession game and turn back with the puck at times. It was a habit that he had to break" - Flahr

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
I feel like even the Flyers wouldn't be stupid enough to let Torts do his thing to Michkov.
I do not know they have done some pretty stupid things over the years....

• Nick D. 4 yrs NMC
  • Jody Shelley 2 year deal because he once scored two goals in a game against us (I believe his only 2 that year)
  • The ghost/TDA debacles - how many assets were wasted in those deals
  • RR trade and re-up
  • Andy Mac trade ad re-up
  • Patrick Sharp
  • Giving Bryz an infinity contract with bob in the wings
  • Dave Brown in charge of player development/evaluation
  • KJ as POHO
  • wasting a multitude of drafts picks on goons

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
  • The ghost/TDA debacles - how many assets were wasted in those deals
  • RR trade and re-up

Of all the recent-ish moves, this is the one that annoys me the most.

The Flyers would have been better off keeping Ghost in every possible way. Assets, talent level, contribution and play on ice, contracts and money wasted.

OUT
Ghost,
1st,
2nd
2nd
3rd
4th
7th
Hagg

IN
Ristolainen
DeAngelo

Such a ridiculous set of moves.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Quite honestly, that is a horrible idea. Not only do they have zero cap space, FA prices will further saddle this team for the next several years with replacement level players.

Of course the cap is always the other side of UFA. I am almost always against that too. But if we are assuming Michkov is 100+ pt player and starts this season then he is in for 10+ million in 3 years. And that + is likely real and a few more million.

Who would you consider a true 1C that could be had?

No idea of a real target tbh. But if TK gets you one either through the draft this year or next or a player or prospect you need to do it. It’s a no brainer for a young 1C but even a couple of 1sts is a must.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
Of course the cap is always the other side of UFA. I am almost always against that too. But if we are assuming Michkov is 100+ pt player and starts this season then he is in for 10+ million in 3 years. And that + is likely real and a few more million.

No idea of a real target tbh. But if TK gets you one either through the draft this year or next or a player or prospect you need to do it. It’s a no brainer for a young 1C but even a couple of 1sts is a must.

I have seen projections of him reaching that, but I think most reasonable takes (incl Appleyard) have him at around ~55-60 points to start his career. Not sure why you’d be clamouring to pay out the ass for 3rd liners to surround Michkov in that situation. Just draft well and a LOT, let him marinate and play freely without expectations of competing for the playoffs and let these terrible contracts go away. See what you have in your picks 3 years from now and then decide accordingly whether a few futures can be traded to fill gaps.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017

The Flyers would have been better off keeping Ghost in every possible way. Assets, talent level, contribution and play on ice, contracts and money wasted.

OUT
Ghost,
1st,
2nd
2nd
3rd
4th
7th
Hagg

IN
Ristolainen
DeAngelo

Honestly dude… where’s the disclaimer?
1714597539964.gif

• Haha
Reactions: scumpup and BiggE

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I have seen projections of him reaching that, but I think most reasonable takes (incl Appleyard) have him at around ~55-60 points to start his career. Not sure why you’d be clamouring to pay out the ass for 3rd liners to surround Michkov in that situation. Just draft well and a LOT, let him marinate and play freely without expectations of competing for the playoffs and let these terrible contracts go away. See what you have in your picks 3 years from now and then decide accordingly whether a few futures can be traded to fill gaps.
He’s your window so you have to look at maximizing it

Reactions: Devonator

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA

Zegras seems like a perfect compliment for coots. Trade for him, bring Michkov, fire Torts, hire Brindy. Hope we get a top 6 wing and top 4 D this draft.

WolfOfBroadStreet14

Aug 15, 2020
"In the KHL, there's lots of looping and swinging, and speed. I already know a couple of things that we're going to have to work on with Michkov to get him ready to play the North American style of game" - Armstrong

"[Lyksell] wants to play a possession game and turn back with the puck at times. It was a habit that he had to break" - Flahr
When Ville Leino was really good here that’s how he played

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

@Kshahdoo you are Russian news famous now aha. Guess they pulled a post from somewhere!

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

@Kshahdoo you are Russian news famous now aha. Guess they pulled a post from somewhere!

Of course they couldn't quote/translate me without a error. A small one but still...

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017

OUT
Ghost,
1st,
2nd
2nd
3rd
4th
7th
Hagg

IN
Ristolainen
DeAngelo

Is the "out" on TDA included under the Ghost list?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad