Speculation: Molson's Move

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I respect his ability to identify a player with talent and evaluate a player at the very least. And he knows what it means to be a hab...that might not matter to some, but it does to me.

You're right though, he is definitely very assertive so he might not fit. I'm not fixated on him or anything...personally I want a GM with experience.

Roy has pride... For better or for worse.

But one thing is for certain. He wouldn't stand for the clown show this team has been this season, or the BS Bergevin keeps feeding everyone.

I'm not sure I'd want him as GM, but maybe as president? Someone that wouldn't be afraid to tell it like it is and stand up to Bergevin's bullish ways.

Capitano

Jul 14, 2003
Visit site

But one thing is for certain. He wouldn't stand for the clown show this team has been this season, or the BS Bergevin keeps feeding everyone.

I'm not sure I'd want him as GM, but maybe as president? Someone that wouldn't be afraid to tell it like it is and stand up to Bergevin's bullish ways.

I could live with that...that actually might be the best spot for a guy like Patrick.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I respect his ability to identify a player with talent and evaluate a player at the very least. And he knows what it means to be a hab...that might not matter to some, but it does to me.

You're right though, he is definitely very assertive so he might not fit. I'm not fixated on him or anything...personally I want a GM with experience.

Again, pure scouting ability isn't a rare trait, and Roy hasn't demonstrated he's exemplary in that regard. I'm not even sure you can argue he's better than Bergevin or Dudley. The Habs need more that from management. A lot more. Even from an AGM.

And I'm always perplexed by this "what it means to be a X" qualifications. Does he? He hasn't been a Hab for 20 years. The Habs aren't even the team they were 20 years ago. What does it even mean to be a Hab?

We have a management team right now that is steeped in focusing on culture, character and leadership. And while those things are important, I don't think Roy offers that more than other ex-habs or even people that used to be part of the organization.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I could live with that...that actually might be the best spot for a guy like Patrick.

There was an article about him in the papers a little while ago where he talked about the Habs' poor start to the season. He said he might want to make a comeback in the NHL, but that he would be more interested in the administrative part of the job, as opposed to coaching.

He probably meant as a GM, but president also falls in the administrative ballpark...

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010

Is it really likely that Roy would be a hands off president though? He wouldn't be a coach in the NHL without significant input on player personnel decisions and took complete control of Remparts. I just don't see him being the hands-off kind President Shanahan is in Toronto, or Boivin was.

And do we actually know Molson isn't pissed at Bergevin? Because if he was, he wouldn't do it through the media. That'd be monumentally stupid. He'd do exactly what he's doing right now.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Is it really likely that Roy would be a hands off president though? He wouldn't be a coach in the NHL without significant input on player personnel decisions and took complete control of Remparts. I just don't see him being the hands-off kind President Shanahan is in Toronto, or Boivin was.

And do we actually know Molson isn't pissed at Bergevin? Because if he was, he wouldn't do it through the media. That'd be monumentally stupid. He'd do exactly what he's doing right now.

I don't know if he's pissed at Bergevin or not. All I know is that he isn't fit to be the president of this team when it comes to anything related to hockey ops.

I don't know how hands off Shanahan is in Toronto. I also don't know what kind of terms it would take to bring Roy on board as president. This is only me spit balling.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Roy would never be able to be an assistant GM.

He was essentially that in Colorado and left because he was not getting his way and disagreed with the direction of the team.

He needs full control. In fact, he apparently wanted to be GM and coach in th NHL.

Too much responsibility for 1 person.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
I don't know if he's pissed at Bergevin or not. All I know is that he isn't fit to be the president of this team when it comes to anything related to hockey ops.

I don't know how hands off Shanahan is in Toronto. I also don't know what kind of terms it would take to bring Roy on board as president. This is only me spit balling.

All I can really say is that Shanahan is pretty hands off in Toronto. He has input on stuff, but Lou, Dubas and Hunter run the show. He mostly makes sure the trains run on time and

Hockey experience really isn't really important for a President unless they're also GM too.

Its not like Montreal's front office model can't work. Yzerman is VP and GM in Tampa. He answers to the Chairman Vinik (also owner) and Steve Griggs, who has zero NHL experience.

Montreal does not need a former player as President. They need smart people, creative thinkers and good managers.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Dark days when habs fans look to a molson family dork for help.
Even darker when Leafs fans bash the Habs on the Habs board.

And not even a mention of ".... fan coming in peace."

In all honesty, I guess most Habs fans here hate the Habs as much as Leafs fans do. So I guess that makes it ok.

hey

Mar 8, 2006
i'll pass on Roy joining the organisation. Too much ego and arrogance. i'm not interested in trading a loonie for 4 quarters

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

I'd pay to see a screaming match between Bergevin and Roy. And Roy throwing stuff around that grazes Bergevin's head. It'd be a win for the fans, finally someone acting like they give a damn.

Make it happen, Geoff. We're at the point where there is nothing interesting on the ice nor in the locker room. This team is a snooze fest.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
i'll pass on Roy joining the organisation. Too much ego and arrogance. i'm not interested in trading a loonie for 4 quarters

Actually, you'd be trading 4 quarters for the loonie. :dumbo:

Reactions: Lshap

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010

In all honesty, I guess most Habs fans here hate the Habs as much as Leafs fans do. So I guess that makes it ok.

This is not bashing. Bashing is saying "Lol, Habs are run by a bunch of morons" or "Habs will be awful forever because X".

Also, I'm not even totally sure OP is a Leafs fan or only a Leafs fan.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016

Can you please quote the original part of the post that constitutes bashing? You’ve mentioned this twice, so it obviously troubles you. A few of us aren’t seeing what you are seeing.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
This is not bashing. Bashing is saying "Lol, Habs are run by a bunch of morons" or "Habs will be awful forever because X".

Just for the hell of it, I, SouthernHAB, should go to the Leafs board and start a similar thread (you know, since they've lost 4 of the last 5).

You think that thread stays up?

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Can you please quote the original part of the post that constitutes bashing? You’ve mentioned this twice, so it obviously troubles you. A few of us aren’t seeing what you are seeing.
Let the Leafs fan opine about the Habs on their board.

"Naturally, you would think Molson would make a move..."

f*** off Leafs fans. Worry about your own shit.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Let the Leafs fan opine about the Habs on their board.

"Naturally, you would think Molson would make a move..."

**** off Leafs fans. Worry about your own ****.

That’s bashing? Talk about sensitive. I note you provided no actual explanation or specificity.

Between that and referring to yourself in the third person you come off as a whinging little schoolboy with wet trousers. Pick yourself up and carry on.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
That’s bashing? Talk about sensitive. I note you provided no actual explanation or specificity.

Between that and referring to yourself in the third person you come off as a whinging little schoolboy with wet trousers. Pick yourself up and carry on.
Lol

The third person mention was the HAB in my username going on the Leafs board.

What's a whinging?

The Habs get blasted 24/7 on this board. Don't need Leafs fans piling on with their opinions about this organization.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012

Oh god you're making me cry again..

Reactions: lostriver

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Just for the hell of it, I, SouthernHAB, should go to the Leafs board and start a similar thread (you know, since they've lost 4 of the last 5).

You think that thread stays up?

1) The Leafs are still a playoff team; and
2) OPs 1st post is in the Habs board. They're either an incredible troll or not a Habs hater.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal

If ego and arrogance will lead us to victory, than so be it. The last time we won anything our best player (Roy) was exactly that.

It's the same reason I take Subban on this team over any other player currently on the roster. The ego. The arrogance. The drive to be the best. The drive to win.

The Montreal Canadiens are more focused on public image than winning. Death of a dynasty.

Reactions: lostriver

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
If we are out of the playoffs in November, we should sell and play de la Rose, McCarron, Sherbak, Lernout, Lindgren (etc). Let's trade: Plekanec with salary retained, Montoya, Benn, Morrow, Shaw (without retaining), let go Hemsky.

Yeah, my wait for the TDL was more about the bigger pieces, but I'm fine with this as well, though Plekanec with his contract will be much easier to trade at the TDL because of the pro-rated salary.

This isn't bashing at all. If anything, it's more of a speculation thread, but whatever. I also don't want to speak on the OP's behalf, but he has stated here in our forums he is a fan of both teams (more the Leafs obviously).

Anyhow, SH brings up good points now and then but not every Habs fan who "bashes" the team is a hater. I mean, I shouldn't have to spoon feed this, but people are frustrated. Sure, I know might sound like an entitled little brat, but for me, if we're not competing for a cup, I lose my mind. That said, as a hockey fan, I know we can't win all the time (at least I have lived through 8 cup wins - witnessed 3), so I am capable of taking a step back sometimes and appreciating the players and the game, even those outside Montreal.

Honestly, until I understood SH posts and history here, I didn't even know it was possible to not have a favorite player on your team. That just blows my mind. Not mentioning names, but we all know who, but when fan favorites get unceremoniously moved, of course that will stir emotions. Sure, I can get not liking guys who leave, but not everyone who moves on is a bad person. However, how I deal with my fandom is my business, and how he cheers for the Habs is his.

I know I am rambling, but this just goes back that if this is a bashing thread, some other threads like the dedicated MB one is a war zone. Compared to the other b*****fests that happen here, this is one of the more civil ones. Anyhow, we all have opinions, some stronger than others, so basically if it's too much for a person, just skip the thread.

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
Molson is the problem. He asked Bergevin to compete right away when he was hired. It was what Bergevin was hired for. Take the pitchforks to his office.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Molson is the problem. He asked Bergevin to compete right away when he was hired. It was what Bergevin was hired for. Take the pitchforks to his office.

Last edited:
Reactions: Omar

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->