MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 7.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Agree to disagree. You can believe what you want, but that first round goes another 30 seconds, I fully believe Dillashaw gets finished. He gets dropped then eats another one, neck tat boy misses a couple while TJ is desperately trying to grab his leg just to hang on and the horn sounds. Saved by the bell. No even a question. And again, full credit to TJ coming back and getting the win after that. But it was by no means the blow out you seem to think it was.
Agree to disagree as well.

Can we at least agree this twitter thing they just started is hilarious? and DJ chimes in too haha

Reactions: LSCII

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I like UFC 222 waaaay more than 221.

221 has a fake title fight, Blaydes v Hunt, and absolutely nothing.

222 has the Cyborg fight and has a great fight in Ortega/Edgar. Arlovski/Struve & Dolloway/Lombard are both alright. Zingano/Vieira is actually decent, plus Dodson/Munhoz will be good. Dariush v Bobby Green is fun. Sean O'Malley and Mackenzie Dern are both excellent prospects.

Losing Holloway/Edgar for a second time sucks but Edgar/Ortega is a great fight. The only unfortunate part is that it's only a three round fight.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
The card was ok at best and Mitrione's takedown defense is atrocious but with Goldie, Sonnen, Glazier, and Big John, Bellator is definitely entertaining. We know we're not watching the best of the best but the tourney is intriguing and the commentary is real solid.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Some upcoming fights announced:

Edson Barboza v Kevin Lee for the UFC Fight Night on April 21 main event. Love this fight - this is one I suggested after the last weekend as making sense.

Jimmie Rivera v Marlon Moraes - Main event for Fight Night Utica on June 1st. Makes sense.

Jacare v Gastelem - UFC 224.

UFC 224 shaping a bit, based off rumors:

Nunes v Pennington
Jacare v Gastelum
Machida v Belfort

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
I wonder what this means for Weidman. I never understood all the talk about Gastelum in essentially a number one contender fight. He just lost to Weidman who was on a 3-fight losing streak. That loss should've dropped Gastelum a few spots. I think Weidman is still hurt, but as a fan of his I'd prefer to see him get the next shot, particularly if Gastelum beats Jacare.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I wonder what this means for Weidman. I never understood all the talk about Gastelum in essentially a number one contender fight. He just lost to Weidman who was on a 3-fight losing streak. That loss should've dropped Gastelum a few spots. I think Weidman is still hurt, but as a fan of his I'd prefer to see him get the next shot, particularly if Gastelum beats Jacare.

Yeah, when I worked through the division I was left with 3 guys in Gastelum, Jacare, and Weidman.. one of them was going to get shafted here and left without a matchup. Not sure what to make of things with Weidman now.

Sounds like they are aiming for July for Romero/Whittaker.

Reactions: BGDDYKWL

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
It sounds like we're going to see Brock Lesnar back in the UFC this year. There were rumours going around even before Dana said he wants him back and they took that picture together the other day. I didn't think he'd ever be back after what happened last time but the UFC is desperate for stars and it's now obvious they'd take the risk again to make money. Apparently his wrestling contract is up in early April and he'd need to be in the USADA program for six months before he can compete, which could perfectly line up with a return at the annual MSG card in November.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
I'm biased but HW and particularly LHW are so boring now they need all the help they can get. I know it's not "fair", but given the lack of title contenders at HW and considering this would likely be his last fight, I'd like to see him fight for the title. I don't really see the point of him coming back to fight someone like Lewis.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
I'm biased but HW and particularly LHW are so boring now they need all the help they can get. I know it's not "fair", but given the lack of title contenders at HW and considering this would likely be his last fight, I'd like to see him fight for the title. I don't really see the point of him coming back to fight someone like Lewis.
Is there indication that it would be his final fight? You're talking about Brock, yeah?

I wouldn't mind him fighting a ranked non-killer that isn't super dangerous on the ground before getting a title shot. Lewis would work if he could get the takedown... or maybe the winner of Arlovski/Struve would be a safer matchup.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I'd say no to an immediate title shot but I think you have to go big if you're getting into the Lesnar business again. The Jon Jones fight if he gets cleared this year, a rematch against Cain/Overeem, or maybe Stipe if he's no longer the champion at that point.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
If Jon Jones is allowed to fight, that's the fight to make. I feel like the odds of that fight happening this year are extremely low.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
If Jon Jones is allowed to fight, that's the fight to make. I feel like the odds of that fight happening this year are extremely low.
From the tone of MMA media's tweets around Jones' hearings with the commissions, it sounds like you might be right. Who really knows though.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2008
I'd say no to an immediate title shot but I think you have to go big if you're getting into the Lesnar business again. The Jon Jones fight if he gets cleared this year, a rematch against Cain/Overeem, or maybe Stipe if he's no longer the champion at that point.

He stands virtually no chance against any of those guys and you kill the golden goose. You feed him a second or third tier guy to give him a win and build the hype and build up to a bigger event.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
He stands virtually no chance against any of those guys and you kill the golden goose. You feed him a second or third tier guy to give him a win and build the hype and build up to a bigger event.
Yeah - that's exactly my reasoning for Lewis (if Lesnar can get a takedown and gas him out), or the winner of Arlovski/Struve, or something like that.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

He turns 41 this summer and hasn't won a fight in 8 years so I'm thinking you go for the big payday. If the plan is for him to stick around for more than one fight then maybe you go for a slower build but it's risky.

In other news, there are rumours going around about Chuck Liddell signing with Bellator. That'd just be sad to watch so I hope it's not true.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I don't understand why the UFC doesn't have Jon Jones fight overseas where USADA has no power

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Anyone elses interest in MMA pretty much nonexistent anymore?
Mine has declined significantly. Number of contributing factors but ultimately the main thing is there just don't seem to be a lot of really compelling fights anymore. You also lost a lot of big draws and didn't replace any (minus Conor). Most cards are watered down, belts don't mean as much, and casuals don't seem to really follow it as much which hurts a lot too.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I don't understand why the UFC doesn't have Jon Jones fight overseas where USADA has no power

Then why even have USADA testing? The UFC decided on having them test.

That, plus the backlash the UFC would receive for doing it would be through the roof. If they really wanted to be that greasy, they'd have to find a commission that doesn't care about USADA and/or the CSAC suspensions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad