MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 7.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016

Now that's a true superfight. I don't like them screwing around with divisions and holding up belts but I don't think there's really a true #1 contender in either division right now.

Holy shit. Both guys are awesome but I hope DC wins and retires on top. I can't watch that man go through another crushing disappointment

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
When I was throwing around fight card ideas a few weeks back I did think about a double "champion v champion" thing with DJ/TJ and Nunes/Cyborg. Didn't even think of Cormier v Miocic. I think it's great, and lets the divisions sort themselves out a bit.

If DJ gets on that card I'm sure he'll be happy too. I read a new article last week about how he will only fight Dillashaw if it's a co-main on a big card so that he can collect extra PPV points because he knows he won't get much on his own card. I just find that entitlement absolutely ridiculous. I mean, I actually like DJ and I just can't get behind him on this one.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I also really wonder what this means for Cain. DC always said he would never move up as that is Cain's division. Hopefully his comeback is still on track.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I also really wonder what this means for Cain. DC always said he would never move up as that is Cain's division. Hopefully his comeback is still on track.
DC would've definitely consulted Cain before doing this. I can see DC retiring after this fight if he wins, vacating and then leaving it open for Cain's return.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Fantastic news. Stipe had no one left and DC really had no one left. This is a VERY interesting fight. DC always struggles to make 205 so he'll have absolutely no trouble getting back up in the 235 range. At his age though it's gonna be a little tougher to get to that weight and maintain the pace he used to. I think he retires after this fight regardless of the outcome, so the real problem is if he wins, you have paper champs in two divisions.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
rofl at kevin lee constantly going out of his way to take shots at khabib. and i like lee too. but the only reason he is doing that, while always propping up tony is to make himself look better since he lost to ferguson. that way he can justify saying that tony is the best in the division, and i lost to him so that means i can take anyone else. always see that where guys will do that nonsense to save face.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
rofl at kevin lee constantly going out of his way to take shots at khabib. and i like lee too. but the only reason he is doing that, while always propping up tony is to make himself look better since he lost to ferguson. that way he can justify saying that tony is the best in the division, and i lost to him so that means i can take anyone else. always see that where guys will do that nonsense to save face.

Kevin Lee is doing lots of talking, but I still don't think he has a fight booked yet. Wonder if he's still recovering from his staph infection or if top guys don't want to fight a guy who fought with it and didn't tell anyone.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Kevin Lee is doing lots of talking, but I still don't think he has a fight booked yet. Wonder if he's still recovering from his staph infection or if top guys don't want to fight a guy who fought with it and didn't tell anyone.

He said he's looking to return around June so that's probably why there's nothing booked. His coach also passed away recently so he doesn't really have a team right now and is just going from place to place to train.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
lol at the UFC trying to get Cody a rematch with 4 weeks notice. TJ has every right to say Efff that.

Cody is nowhere near a title rematch at this point. He needs 2 wins at least.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
lol at the UFC trying to get Cody a rematch with 4 weeks notice. TJ has every right to say Efff that.

Cody is nowhere near a title rematch at this point. He needs 2 wins at least.

I agree he has the right, but it's very similar to the situation that Dillishaw was in last year when he and the UFC were trying to force Mighty Mouse to fill on short notice in when Garbrandt pulled out of their first match with a back injury. And lots of people here called DJ a p***y for not doing it. It kind of makes TJ look like a complete f***ing hypocrite for doing something he ripped on Demetrious over, IMO...

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Tyron Woodley told ESPN that he'll probably be fighting Nate Diaz in July at UFC 226 for the Welterweight title. Despite RDA having 3 wins in 2017, and a win over Diaz back in 2015.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
I agree he has the right, but it's very similar to the situation that Dillishaw was in last year when he and the UFC were trying to force Mighty Mouse to fill on short notice in when Garbrandt pulled out of their first match with a back injury. And lots of people here called DJ a ***** for not doing it. It kind of makes TJ look like a complete ****ing hypocrite for doing something he ripped on Demetrious over, IMO...
Its not similar at all.

Cody just got blasted into "ref saves his life by stepping over him" by TJ in his last fight. In what universe does Cody deserve a rematch? TJ lost a razor close split decision to Cruz, and the UFC made him wait 2 years to fight for the title again. TJ has also been legitimately losing weight and muscle to make a cut to 125 easier. Its not just 4 weeks notice, its all the muscle he has been trying to lose since he regained his BW title to fight DJ .

DJ legitimately cleaned out his weak starless division and complained he had nobody to fight. Then balked at fighting a guy with the pedigree to beat him when they produced TJ as an option.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Its not similar at all.

Cody just got blasted into "ref saves his life by stepping over him" by TJ in his last fight. In what universe does Cody deserve a rematch? TJ lost a razor close split decision to Cruz, and the UFC made him wait 2 years to fight for the title again. TJ has also been legitimately losing weight and muscle to make a cut to 125 easier. Its not just 4 weeks notice, its all the muscle he has been trying to lose since he regained his BW title to fight DJ .

DJ legitimately cleaned out his weak starless division and complained he had nobody to fight. Then balked at fighting a guy with the pedigree to beat him when they produced TJ as an option.

To me, a champion should fight whoever the organization deems is the top challenger. It's not up to the champion to decide who gets the next title shot. So from THAT standpoint alone there is some similarity in the situations.

The main difference to me is the time-frame. DJ would have had a full camp or whatever he wanted, where in this case they are giving Dillashaw a month's notice.

I heard a really good interview with Dillashaw this week where he went into the reasons for not taking the fight. Sure, he doesn't think Garbrandt deserves it - and he's right, but whatever. He also just recently had a child and already had told the UFC after his title win that he was going to need some extra time off because of that. So trying to rush him onto this card isn't really ideal for him.

It also sounded like DJ v Dillashaw at 125lbs will be a go for the summer. Should happen in June or July.

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Its not similar at all.

No, he balked at fighting a guy with a pedigree to beat him because the UFC wasn't willing to pay him to take that risk. That issue has obviously been addressed since we're basically just waiting for the official announcement. Name whichever champion you want, safe for maybe Holloway, but if a #1 contender, or champion of a heavier division wants to come down and fight for the lower weight belt, whoever holds it is going to want to see dollar signs. They're taking all the risk in that situation.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Its not similar at all.

Sure it is. There wouldn't have been a full camp for DJ. The fight was cancelled on May 23rd. The fight was scheduled for July 8th. If DJ had agreed to start the next day, he gets 5, maybe 6 weeks of camp before that fight, and again that's if he starts the very next day. How is that a full camp? If you're going to argue it, at least get it right.

And it's exactly the same because UFC is trying to salvage the event, but the title holder isn't willing to do it. Dillishaw had zero upside at that point for DJ. All the risk was on Johnson's end. This is exactly how it is now for Dillishaw. Grabrandt brings no upside to the fight, just like a non title holder like TJ did for DJ.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Sure it is. There wouldn't have been a full camp for DJ. The fight was cancelled on May 23rd. The fight was scheduled for July 8th. If DJ had agreed to start the next day, he gets 5, maybe 6 weeks of camp before that fight, and again that's if he starts the very next day. How is that a full camp? If you're going to argue it, at least get it right.

And it's exactly the same because UFC is trying to salvage the event, but the title holder isn't willing to do it. Dillishaw had zero upside at that point for DJ. All the risk was on Johnson's end. This is exactly how it is now for Dillishaw. Grabrandt brings no upside to the fight, just like a non title holder like TJ did for DJ.
You are arguing apples vs my arguing Oranges here. The camp length is relevant to TJ only because he has actively been losing muscle mass since winning his BW belt back in preparation for a superfight with DJ at 125.

The fact of the matter is, TJ just smashed Garbrandt. Decisively. The ref stepped in to say "no more, he will have brain damage if I do not stop this". It makes ZERO sense to give Cody necktats a rematch at this juncture. He got molested.

DJ, like GSP, always claimed he kept his walk around weight near his fight weight so he could accept any fight that came his way even on short notice. DJ cleaned out his division and was actively mouthing off at the time about UFC brass unable to find him an exciting fight. There were no matchup's that make sense for him. At all. If TJ came down that summer to make 125, he immediately became the #1 contender at 125 AINEC.

The situation is one guy complaining he wants a big name fight but has nobody who can stand against him in his division, then backpedalling when TJ becomes available. Vs the UFC asking TJ to fight a guy he just pummeled into gruel in a grudge match less than 2 months ago due to lack of options while TJ has been actively losing muscle mass for 2 months since.

if you want to argue they both should get PAID for such a fight, ill agree. But the situations could not be much different. One made perfect sense and was seemingly what DJ was asking for, the other makes zero sense since he just smashed the guy they want him to fight.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
You are arguing apples vs my arguing Oranges here. The camp length is relevant to TJ only because he has actively been losing muscle mass since winning his BW belt back in preparation for a superfight with DJ at 125.

The fact of the matter is, TJ just smashed Garbrandt. Decisively. The ref stepped in to say "no more, he will have brain damage if I do not stop this". It makes ZERO sense to give Cody necktats a rematch at this juncture. He got molested.

DJ, like GSP, always claimed he kept his walk around weight near his fight weight so he could accept any fight that came his way even on short notice. DJ cleaned out his division and was actively mouthing off at the time about UFC brass unable to find him an exciting fight. There were no matchup's that make sense for him. At all. If TJ came down that summer to make 125, he immediately became the #1 contender at 125 AINEC.

The situation is one guy complaining he wants a big name fight but has nobody who can stand against him in his division, then backpedalling when TJ becomes available. Vs the UFC asking TJ to fight a guy he just pummeled into gruel in a grudge match less than 2 months ago due to lack of options while TJ has been actively losing muscle mass for 2 months since.

if you want to argue they both should get PAID for such a fight, ill agree. But the situations could not be much different. One made perfect sense and was seemingly what DJ was asking for, the other makes zero sense since he just smashed the guy they want him to fight.

First off you act like it was a one sided beat down. It wasn't. In fact, TJ got saved by the bell in the first round. Full credit for him turning the tides in the second, but he was close to being out. Also, it was like 23 strikes to 19 for the full fight. Hardly a one sided contest, KO aside. Secondly, Dillashaw and Grabrandt have a history. That's worth a few buys right there. Nobody would have given a flying f*** to watch DJ fight TJ when TJ wasn't the title holder. And now that he is, that fight is viable, which is why DJ is going to do it. Before then, he was assuming all the risk, and it was bullshit for TJ to act like DJ was afraid of him. He wasn't. It just wasn't worth his time and effort. Now it is so now it will happen. But back to the matter at hand. TJ pissed and moaned about DJ not being willing, but here he is doing the same thing. It's BS. I don't blame him either, but it shows what kind of hypocrite he is, imo.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
First off you act like it was a one sided beat down. It wasn't. In fact, TJ got saved by the bell in the first round. Full credit for him turning the tides in the second, but he was close to being out. Also, it was like 23 strikes to 19 for the full fight. Hardly a one sided contest, KO aside. Secondly, Dillashaw and Grabrandt have a history. That's worth a few buys right there. Nobody would have given a flying **** to watch DJ fight TJ when TJ wasn't the title holder. And now that he is, that fight is viable, which is why DJ is going to do it. Before then, he was assuming all the risk, and it was bull**** for TJ to act like DJ was afraid of him. He wasn't. It just wasn't worth his time and effort. Now it is so now it will happen. But back to the matter at hand. TJ pissed and moaned about DJ not being willing, but here he is doing the same thing. It's BS. I don't blame him either, but it shows what kind of hypocrite he is, imo.

Close to being out?
He got caught, but was fully aware and evading all follow up strikes. Not only could Cody not hold him down as TJ expertly escaped being held down, but he dipped, slipped and dodged Cody's follow up strikes.

He was not even close to being finished. Shaken and in escape mode and lost the round, but never close to being done.

DJ whined he wanted a legit challenger and money fights FOR MONTHS before they came up with this. He had NOBODY to fight. The UFC actually thought he would be happy with this offer. but he wanted to continue to crush cans and was just mouthing off to the media because, well, DJ is kind of labeled a can crusher with a fake record and he hates it. The only guy like TJ he has ever fought manhandled him like a sack of potatoes. it was DJ's chance to get away from the can crusher label by beating a legit someone for that record.

TJ arguably beat Cruz in a close split decision and arguably never should have lost the belt. the UFC and Dana said they agreed TJ won, blasted the judges, but still made him wait 2 years for a title shot. Now he is supposed to give the guy he hates most in the UFC a free ride back to the top after less than 2 months? Nevermind the fact that he just smoked him and it is not compelling to see again so soon. Cody does not deserve it. Cody is one step removed from being warmachine in terms of emotional stability, just got the shit beat out of him by TJ, and has some growing to do before he is in the conversation again.

No, it is not the same at all.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Agree to disagree. You can believe what you want, but that first round goes another 30 seconds, I fully believe Dillashaw gets finished. He gets dropped then eats another one, neck tat boy misses a couple while TJ is desperately trying to grab his leg just to hang on and the horn sounds. Saved by the bell. No even a question. And again, full credit to TJ coming back and getting the win after that. But it was by no means the blow out you seem to think it was.

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
UFC 222, main event is Cyborg vs Invicta 135lb champion Yana Kunitskaya. Co-main will be Frankie Edgar vs Brian Ortega.

Big mistake keeping this a PPV, should have been turned into a Fox card, but WME is in the business of paying off a debt, not making the fans happy.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
UFC 222, main event is Cyborg vs Invicta 135lb champion Yana Kunitskaya. Co-main will be Frankie Edgar vs Brian Ortega.

Big mistake keeping this a PPV, should have been turned into a Fox card, but WME is in the business of paying off a debt, not making the fans happy.

Agreed. That is barely worthy of being a free event, let alone expecting people to pay 60 bucks for it. Just terrible. Would have been a decent card had Dillashaw stepped up and done the UFC a solid and given Garbrandt a rematch, but I get why he didn't. As it stands, it's an under card event with no headliners. Cyborg for as dominant as she's been over her career, simply isn't a draw. Especially not for a PPV. Maybe she could headline a free card, but no way can she carry a PPV. It's not going to generate many buys at all.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I like UFC 222 waaaay more than 221.

221 has a fake title fight, Blaydes v Hunt, and absolutely nothing.

222 has the Cyborg fight and has a great fight in Ortega/Edgar. Arlovski/Struve & Dolloway/Lombard are both alright. Zingano/Vieira is actually decent, plus Dodson/Munhoz will be good. Dariush v Bobby Green is fun. Sean O'Malley and Mackenzie Dern are both excellent prospects.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Agreed. That is barely worthy of being a free event, let alone expecting people to pay 60 bucks for it. Just terrible. Would have been a decent card had Dillashaw stepped up and done the UFC a solid and given Garbrandt a rematch, but I get why he didn't. As it stands, it's an under card event with no headliners. Cyborg for as dominant as she's been over her career, simply isn't a draw. Especially not for a PPV. Maybe she could headline a free card, but no way can she carry a PPV. It's not going to generate many buys at all.

Really interested how these fights all draw. I agree on Cyborg, but she did draw one of the better PPV numbers of 2017 in December. I think Holm could be a sneaky good draw herself and pushed it up, but we'll see.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Really interested how these fights all draw. I agree on Cyborg, but she did draw one of the better PPV numbers of 2017 in December. I think Holm could be a sneaky good draw herself and pushed it up, but we'll see.

Yeah, that PPV did pull decent numbers, but it also had what was supposed to be a really good co main with Khabib and Barbosa. This card has Cyborg and a bunch of fights nobody wants to see. But like you said, it will be interesting to see how it draws. Completely agree about Holm. She always has a little buzz around her just because she beat Rousey.

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I like UFC 222 waaaay more than 221.

221 has a fake title fight, Blaydes v Hunt, and absolutely nothing.

222 has the Cyborg fight and has a great fight in Ortega/Edgar. Arlovski/Struve & Dolloway/Lombard are both alright. Zingano/Vieira is actually decent, plus Dodson/Munhoz will be good. Dariush v Bobby Green is fun. Sean O'Malley and Mackenzie Dern are both excellent prospects.

Oh, 222 is still more attractive than 221. but for $65? (UFC raised their prices). I have no plans to watch 221 but was looking forward to 222. Still might go to the bar and watch, but I have this nasty habit of racking up a bar tab that's more than the PPV itself...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad