MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 7.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
That, plus the backlash the UFC would receive for doing it would be through the roof. If they really wanted to be that greasy, they'd have to find a commission that doesn't care about USADA and/or the CSAC suspensions.

The UFC didn't seem to face much backlash from Lesnar's return vs Hunt

And there are plenty of commissions around the world that wouldn't give a f*** about USADA

The UFC coming to town would be big bucks for their economy

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

And there are plenty of commissions around the world that wouldn't give a **** about USADA

The UFC loses money from the whole USADA thing and would be better off without it, but people were demanding more drug testing in the sport. So here we are.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
It's hard to get excited for MMA these days for all of the reasons mentioned above.

I still watch all of the PPVs and main cards, but I don't currently have Fight Pass and if I don't see the prelims it's usually not a big deal at all as many of the fighters are irrelevant.

Just a poor plan executed by the UFC over the last few years, and they have nobody to blame but themselves. No vision from the guys in charge

Time to go back to basics - one free card per month, one PPV per month. That's it.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC

And there are plenty of commissions around the world that wouldn't give a **** about USADA

There was backlash when Brock was given his USADA exemption, and after he tested positive.

In Jones' case, if they were to have him fight in Japan, the CSAC likely wouldn't end his suspension, which means the UFC would have to keep him fighting overseas because no other commissions would give him a license if he's currently barred in California, while at the same time dealing with backlash over allowing Jones to fight but keeping other suspended fighters on the shelf.

I like the fact the UFC partnered with USADA in principle, however it's not making the UFC a better sport.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010

The UFC is the one implementing and paying USADA. It would be absolutely ludicrous if they said, "eh just sit this one out guys". Or "We're not going to listen to the sanctions we pay you to make".

It would be a PR nightmare and guarantee it spurs a legitimate fighters union. Makes ZERO sense for them. JJ isn't McGregor/Lesnar level draw.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Hard to "blame" USADA for hurting the sport. If fighters would just stop cheating there wouldn't be an issue.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Forgetting about the Jon Jones situation for a second, how would you feel if the UFC allowed Nick Diaz to fight overseas during his suspension for marijuana?

Personally, I would've loved for them to take a political stand on that issue and say "we don't care if our fighters smoke pot and we're gonna put them on cards overseas"

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Forgetting about the Jon Jones situation for a second, how would you feel if the UFC allowed Nick Diaz to fight overseas during his suspension for marijuana?

Personally, I would've loved for them to take a political stand on that issue and say "we don't care if our fighters smoke pot and we're gonna put them on cards overseas"

Nick Diaz wasn't suspended by USADA for weed, he was suspended by the NSAC, for 5 years in a ridiculous witch hunt, which was eventually bumped down iirc.

Nick is suspended by USADA atm for not updating his whereabouts to be tested.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Nick Diaz wasn't suspended by USADA for weed, he was suspended by the NSAC, for 5 years in a ridiculous witch hunt, which was eventually bumped down iirc.

Nick is suspended by USADA atm for not updating his whereabouts to be tested.

It doesn't matter which governing body suspended him, only that he was suspended for testing positive for marijuana

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
It doesn't matter which governing body suspended him, only that he was suspended for testing positive for marijuana

Uh.. it matters because you keep saying the UFC should circumvent USADA. And used Diaz as an example, Diaz wasn't suspended by USADA for weed. Yah I don't agree with the NSAC suspending him, but everyone knows they're a bunch of crooks anyway.

Not sure how exactly this pertains to the Jon Jones situation at all.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Uh.. it matters because you keep saying the UFC should circumvent USADA. And used Diaz as an example, Diaz wasn't suspended by USADA for weed. Yah I don't agree with the NSAC suspending him, but everyone knows they're a bunch of crooks anyway.

Not sure how exactly this pertains to the Jon Jones situation at all.

No, it doesn't matter

Diaz was suspended for weed by a governing body in the US

What if the UFC allowed him to fight overseas under a different governing body?

That's it. That's the entire question. Which governing body suspended him is irrelevant

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
No, it doesn't matter

Diaz was suspended for weed by a governing body in the US

What if the UFC allowed him to fight overseas under a different governing body?

That's it. That's the entire question. Which governing body suspended him is irrelevant

That's cool I guess? That suspension was bullsht from the get go, but that's the NSAC for you.

Once again, how does this pertain to the JJ situation? USADA is independently hired by the UFC, it's not a governing body, and the athletic commissions don't even have to uphold their suspensions. That's the UFC and USADA's program. USADA goes where the UFC goes.

I'll lay it out USADA=/=State Atheltic commissions

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
That's cool I guess? That suspension was bullsht from the get go, but that's the NSAC for you.

Once again, how does this pertain to the JJ situation? USADA is independently hired by the UFC, it's not a governing body, and the athletic commissions don't even have to uphold their suspensions. That's the UFC and USADA's program. USADA goes where the UFC goes.

I'll lay it out USADA=/=State Atheltic commissions

I can't keep having this conversation with you

Here's my original message regarding Diaz:

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I can't keep having this conversation with you

Here's my original message regarding Diaz:

And that's been addressed. Not sure where your going with it, I don't think anyone would disagree with you on Diaz.

I thought you were trying to make a correlation between the two because that was the original conversation. But no, I guess you just disagree with the Diaz situation and wanted to talk about it? :dunno: , really don't know anymore :laugh: .

I'll leave it at that.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
And that's been addressed. Not sure where your going with it, I don't think anyone would disagree with you on Diaz.

I thought you were trying to make a correlation between the two because that was the original conversation. But no, I guess you just disagree with the Diaz situation and wanted to talk about it? :dunno: , really don't know anymore :laugh: .

I'll leave it at that.

I also don't think many would have a problem with it, so if that's the case, why wouldn't the UFC have put him on some cards overseas?

Yes, that's all I was trying to discuss

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I also don't think many would have a problem with it, so if that's the case, why wouldn't the UFC have put him on some cards overseas?

Yes, that's all I was trying to discuss
Iirc they've been offering him fights forever now. But now that the NSAC suspension is dealt with, he has to deal with the UFC/USADA suspension, which sounds like an easy fix, but Diaz gon Diaz. He obviously doesn't want/need to fight.

If Nick wanted to fight, I'm sure he could've fought multiple times since the Silva fight

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Hard to "blame" USADA for hurting the sport. If fighters would just stop cheating there wouldn't be an issue.

The ones who get busted by USADA either are too stupid to check their supplements or are too lazy not to get caught. Or, like Romero, legit took a tainted supplement. I refuse to believe that the ones USADA do catch are the only ones that are using performance enhancing and/or therapeutic drugs.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
The UFC loses money from the whole USADA thing and would be better off without it, but people were demanding more drug testing in the sport. So here we are.
They may lose some money and opportunity in the near term - but I think it’s a prudent move for the long term when considering potential liability issues, etc.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Anyone elses interest in MMA pretty much nonexistent anymore?

I can’t help but feel like their new tv/streaming deal will literally make or break them. They are in dire straits. They do have some interesting fights on the horizon in the near term that could help the cause, but there are far too many events.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
They may lose some money and opportunity in the near term - but I think it’s a prudent move for the long term when considering potential liability issues, etc.

Maybe, but it's not a coincidence that the Fertitas bounced when the sport was getting cleaned up. They knew the amount of damage the enhanced testing would cause. Build the sport up, clean it up, sell it off. Hey, maybe they'll buy it back in 2 or 3 years for half the cost.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
I can’t help but feel like their new tv/streaming deal will literally make or break them. They are in dire straits. They do have some interesting fights on the horizon in the near term that could help the cause, but there are far too many events.

The over saturation and lack of any stars has killed the UFC, but my interest in MMA as a whole has dwindled for said reasons. It's why I don't give a shit about the NFL as well.

Oct 15, 2008
Anyone elses interest in MMA pretty much nonexistent anymore?

Yes. They watered it down with too many events as well as introducing women and the lighter weight divisions. Should have kept WEC as is and let Bellator or some other org put on the ladie fights. I don’t want to see women fight, and I don’t want to see little tiny guys fight, usually whose divisions are dominated by one or two guys and the rest are fodder. Boring.

One card a month, Lightweight to Heavyweight, those were the glory days of MMA, where casual fans knew the champions and top contenders and thusly cared about the fights, hype was generated, bars were full, it was fun to go see an event at the pub. Now, well, I cant be bothered. Who really gives a f***? Add to that guys getting popped for PED’s left right and center, the Jon Jones fiasco, guys dropping out with ‘injuries’ left, right and center, people buying tickets to cards only to have one, two or three of the main event fights being scrapped for the reasons hilighted above, and, well, you get the idea....

Reactions: End of Line
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad