MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 7.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I wonder where all the RDA detractors are now.. All those saying he was slumping since USADA, he's been tested 10 times this year, and in that time, ran through 3 top level fighters, each more impressive than the last.

Where are they? They are one post above you, claiming he's back on the juice.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I guess there is one reason the UFC might give RDA that title shot sooner than later - RDA as champ is Conor's best chance at winning a belt in another division.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Where are they? They are one post above you, claiming he's back on the juice.

Once a juicer, always a juicer. :laugh:

I mean, not for nothing, but Barry Bonds never had a positive test and he was literally the poster child for steroids. If you have a great chemist, you can beat any test. And don't delude yourself, there are plenty of guys in MMA and the UFC that have never failed a test, but are most assuredly on the juice.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
That's not exclusive to RDA though. They're all on steroids, including Lawler. So I guess at the end of the day it doesn't matter if they are. It's like weight cutting. If they're all doing it, it just evens it out.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Matchups. This is RDA we're talking about here, he's gonna swang and bang and be put to sleep like against Alvarez.

Not that TW couldn't knock him out, but it's just unlikely given he's not a KO guy. I mean he's got what 6 or 7 KOs or TKOs in 22 fights or so? Statistically speaking, the odds are far more in favor of him going to a decision or subbing RDA than knocking him out.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
That's not exclusive to RDA though. They're all on steroids, including Lawler. So I guess at the end of the day it doesn't matter if they are. It's like weight cutting. If they're all doing it, it just evens it out.

Absolutely. Not even trying to suggest RDA is the only guy using in the UFC. I think you're right and that most guys are.

I just thought it was really funny how people were talking about the difference in size at the weigh ins, and then seeing RDA look bigger than Lawler on fight night.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
UFC, Mayweather discuss possible MMA move
UFC and Floyd Mayweather Jr. are discussing a deal that would bring the undefeated boxer into mixed martial arts, according to UFC president Dana White.
"We're talking to Floyd about doing a UFC deal," White told ESPN. "It's real. He was talking about [boxing] Conor McGregor. Was that real? Have you heard Floyd talk about many things that aren't real? He usually tips his hand when he's in the media, and then that s--- ends up happening.
"We're interested in doing something with Floyd. Everything is a realistic possibility. Mayweather vs. McGregor f---ing happened. Anything is possible."
LOL, 2017 is truly bizarro world for combat sports.

Obviously there's probably less than a 1% chance this happens though.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Good card last weekend.

Lawler might not be the same guy anymore because of all the wars he has been in but what RDA did was still very impressive. Woodley will likely be out for a while so they can probably do RDA vs. Covington next to determine the #1 contender.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC

I mean, not for nothing, but Barry Bonds never had a positive test and he was literally the poster child for steroids. If you have a great chemist, you can beat any test. And don't delude yourself, there are plenty of guys in MMA and the UFC that have never failed a test, but are most assuredly on the juice.

I remember hearing something near the end of summer, around the time Rory claimed Robbie was juiced for their fight, that USADA's positive rate is only around 5%. You can't tell me those are the only ones on PEDs.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I remember hearing something near the end of summer, around the time Rory claimed Robbie was juiced for their fight, that USADA's positive rate is only around 5%. You can't tell me those are the only ones on PEDs.

Exactly. Which says a ton about how much shit Jones really must have been on to trip a positive test not once, but twice. Silva too. With so few people getting caught, you literally have to be a tremendous f*** up to test positive.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria

likely the majority of pro athletes are using some form of PEDs, at the very least during injury rehab, if not always.

Reactions: LSCII

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
I wonder if we will get to a point where select PEDs will be allowed for injury treatments. Under supervision, of course.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I wonder if we will get to a point where select PEDs will be allowed for injury treatments. Under supervision, of course.

It should be. You get hurt and go to a doctor, they can and do prescribe these things to help you. You play sports and that avenue for healing is off the table? Stupid.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
It should be. You get hurt and go to a doctor, they can and do prescribe these things to help you. You play sports and that avenue for healing is off the table? Stupid.

Absolutely agreed.

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Soooooo, while on the subject of PEDs, would it be normal for someone in their mid-30s, does BJJ, lifts and cycles (bicycles, not steroids) to ask their doctor to test them to see if TRT may be a good idea? Or should they stick to test-boosts from the supplement store for the time being?

Asking for a friend, of course...

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Soooooo, while on the subject of PEDs, would it be normal for someone in their mid-30s, does BJJ, lifts and cycles (bicycles, not steroids) to ask their doctor to test them to see if TRT may be a good idea? Or should they stick to test-boosts from the supplement store for the time being?

Asking for a friend, of course...
Unless you are injury prone and compete in high levels of sports I don't really see the point to be honest. It's still not clear what kind of side effects it can cause in the long run and I personally wouldn't want my hormones being out of whack and impacting how I feel and behave. That's just me though.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
True, but all in all, I would say if you enjoy MMA you need to watch RIZIN. They only have a few events a year and this new year's eve tournament put UFC 219 to shame. I don't regret watching the event live in its entirety one bit. It was a great experience with many fantastic fights.

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
True, but all in all, I would say if you enjoy MMA you need to watch RIZIN. They only have a few events a year and this new year's eve tournament put UFC 219 to shame. I don't regret watching the event live in its entirety one bit. It was a great experience with many fantastic fights.

Was their NYE event on TV in North America?

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
According to mmamania.com:
It will also be available for purchase on the free FITE app from iTunes and Google Play, as well as pay-per-view (PPV) via iN Demand, Vubiquity, and DISH, along with SaskTel and Telus in Canada at 5 a.m. ET.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Looking ahead at the upcoming PPVs, I wonder if the UFC is going to be announcing some main events soon.

The first thing that will be done is announce the new TUF coaches. Rumors of Woodley v Covington. The season will feature only undefated fighters, with the coaches likely fighting around Fight Week in the summer.

UFC 220 is the double main event - Miocic & Cormier defending this month. The card is kind of hilariously bad after that, I don't even know if they've released the bout order.

UFC 221 is Whittaker/Rockhold next month. Right now Mark Hunt v Curtis Blaydes is the co-main. I would have to think they will add another high-end fight to that card. Couple rumors about Cyborg defending again here, but I think they will end up adding a Rose title defense vs Tecia Torres as the co-main here. So if you get the two title fights and a Hunt/Blaydes fight, you're looking at a solid card.

So you have UFC 222 (March), UFC 223 (April), and UFC 224 (May) all left, with these title fights to disperse:

Cyborg v Nunes (Champ v Champ)
DJ v Dillashaw (Champ v Champ)
Khabib v Ferguson (Strip Conor, will be for the lightweight belt)
Holloway v Edgar (145 belt)
Tyron Woodley v Colby Covington(?)
Nicco Montano v Sijara Eubanks (Could be a free TV main event)

Lots of different directions to go. I think you try to do Khabib/Ferguson sooner so that you can get the potential Fight Week fight v Conor at the beginning of July.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
Big John no longer reffing. Will be a color commentator for Bellator. :(

Now we're all gonna witness Herb Dean murder someone inside the octagon with a late stoppage.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Not sure how to feel about Big John in the booth. He did some work with the Fight Network back in the day but wasn't anything special in that role. I don't think he was bad either though and he probably knows the rules as well as anyone else out there. It'll be interesting to see how it goes.

It sounds like Jimmy Smith going to the UFC is all but official as well. They already have a bunch of good guys like Rogan, DC, Cruz, and Felder so I'm not sure exactly where he'll fit. Rogan only does the NA PPVs now so maybe they'll add Smith to the other shows and we'll see a lot more three man booths going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad