Not open for further replies.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

Stipe Miocic vs. Francis Ngannou
Daniel Cormier vs. Volkan Oezdemir

Looks good to me.

I don't know how this card will do PPV #'s wise, but I'm looking forward to it.

I think both champs will go into wrestling mode.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I don't know how this card will do PPV #'s wise, but I'm looking forward to it.

I think both champs will go into wrestling mode.
Francis is getting a ton of hype right now so I could see it doing decently on the PPV. It's been a long long time since there's been some decent competition in the HW division. Too bad Cain is always injured.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Aside from the upcoming Cub event, there are a string of good cards coming up (knock on wood - seems like things always fall apart lately). Winnipeg, 219, St. Louis, 220, even Charlotte is decent. Not too shabby.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

The health issue is new but I think everyone saw this coming the moment Bisping/GSP was booked. It was a quick little money grab for all involved and he was never going to defend that belt. Hopefully he gets healthy and we see him back at 170.

Whittaker/Rockhold should be a good one.

Last edited:

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I think GSP had legit plans of giving 185 a try but after trying to add significant weight and failing to do so that made the decision easy for him. Apparently he was only five pounds or something heavier fighting at MW than he was at WW. That's not good when you’ve got huge guys like Rockhold, Romero and Weidman in the same division.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I hope Rockhold smashes him, because I hate when the UFC goes "here have a belt." which iswhat they did with Aldo when they took the FW title from Conor, and they only did that because their main event, Pretty ure it was DC VS Jones fell out that night.

Thankfully Aldo got smashed a couple times and didn't get to keep a belt he didn't earn.

I hope the same thing happens to Whittaker

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver

Georges would never be able to maintain his weight and keep competing at 185, not a shocker given the interview above.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I hope Rockhold smashes him, because I hate when the UFC goes "here have a belt." which iswhat they did with Aldo when they took the FW title from Conor, and they only did that because their main event, Pretty ure it was DC VS Jones fell out that night.

Thankfully Aldo got smashed a couple times and didn't get to keep a belt he didn't earn.

Whittaker has won 7 in a row at MW with the last 3 being against Romero, Jacare, and Brunson. One could argue he already deserved to be called the real champion because he's the one fighting all of the top competition.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010

What the hell are you talking about? Whittaker is the real champion, he hasn't been gifted anything.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
GSP saved the Middleweight division. Long live GSP!

Also, anyone saying Whittaker is a fake champ is out to lunch. The guy is a fantastic talent and neutralized Yoel f***ing Romero with one leg. I think he will clown Rockhold.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
I actually believe that GSP really wanted to retire, and would have done it publicly if his fight ended on a better note with Hendricks.

Now it's a little different, because he came back and won the MW title in a spectacular fashion. It was a really fun fight that was in one of the best cards of all time. It seems like an ideal way to go out on top, and probably would have if it was not for his contract. Now we hear that he has colitis, not doubting him, but with him pushing up in age and what not, it's a good reason for him to hang them up and feel happy that his last fight was a happy memory.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria

They took the belt from Conor and gave it to Aldo? Uhhh what?

Reactions: Moncherry

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
Yeah Whittaker was gifted absolutely nothing, he's a killer. Doesn't really matter because he'll get a chance to prove it against Rockhold anyway. Finally settles the division for the time being to where it should be.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
I don't mind the GSP situation that much because with Whittaker hurt (we all knew Bisping was a paper champ) all that happened was we got a "title fight" while the real belt was shelved anyway. No harm done. I think most would agree GSP-Bisping was at least an intriguing fight.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I don't mind the GSP situation that much because with Whittaker hurt (we all knew Bisping was a paper champ) all that happened was we got a "title fight" while the real belt was shelved anyway. No harm done. I think most would agree GSP-Bisping was at least an intriguing fight.
GSP basically ended the fu**ery that was happening in the division. After taking the title from Rockhold, Bisping only defended it twice in a 1.5 yr span, against an over the hill Hendo then GSP obviously. All while the middleweight division finally had some great talent competing for the title. The fact that Bisping never fought Jacare or Yoel or Bobby Knuckles, let alone Rockhold again was a joke and a black mark on the UFC. GSP provided us an entertaining fight then vacated the belt promptly which was the right thing to do.

Reactions: BGDDYKWL

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
GSP basically ended the fu**ery that was happening in the division. After taking the title from Rockhold, Bisping only defended it twice in a 1.5 yr span, against an over the hill Hendo then GSP obviously. All while the middleweight division finally had some great talent competing for the title. The fact that Bisping never fought Jacare or Yoel or Bobby Knuckles, let alone Rockhold again was a joke and a black mark on the UFC. GSP provided us an entertaining fight then vacated the belt promptly which was the right thing to do.
Nothing against GSP, but if he wasn't in the picture, Bisping should've been fed to Whittaker. The deepest division in the UFC has been tied up FAR too long.

Reactions: 1specter

dss97

Aug 30, 2010

Whittaker went through a murderers row of fighters (Brunson, Jacare, Romero) to win his interim belt.. He is 100% the legit champion.

What a silly post.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
GSP didn't restore order to anything. Had he fought Whittaker, then you can make that argument. GSP made the division an even bigger gongshow.

I also don't understand why the UFC promotes an interim champion to undisputed champion overnight. The Whittaker/Rockhold fight fight should be for the vacant MW title, not Whittaker defending.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
GSP didn't restore order to anything. Had he fought Whittaker, then you can make that argument. GSP made the division an even bigger gongshow.

I also don't understand why the UFC promotes an interim champion to undisputed champion overnight. The Whittaker/Rockhold fight fight should be for the vacant MW title, not Whittaker defending.

What purpose does that serve to not acknowledge the interim belt? Seems like an odd thing to complain about.

Agreed on GSP, though. People say he "brought order" because they like GSP and dislike Bisping.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010

How is the division an even bigger gongshow? You actually have top-ranked fighters fighting top-ranked fighters again. The champion isn't holding onto a belt fighting hand-picked opponents. Whittaker was rightfully viewed as the actual champion, and as a result of GSP winning and vacating that's official. So explain what's wrong with the middleweight division as it stands? There's no logjam of contenders being avoided, there's no champion infrequently defending their title.

Reactions: 1specter
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad