MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 7.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
I don't think Floyd can handle lack of attention. Not now but we'll see what happens in a couple of years.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Yeah that's not happening lol. Floyd's ego is way too big to ever face taking a loss.

I don't think it will happen either, and that this is just a case of Mayweather trying to keep his name in the headlines despite being retired. But if there was enough money involved, I'm sure he'd be open to it. It would be just like the McGregor boxing crap. He's not an MMA guy so after he looses, he can say everyone expected him to loose and that it's not his style of fighting. There would be no shame in that either, since it's true.

The big question is whether the UFC would ever pony up the kind of money needed to make this happen. They won't. And if they did, he'd never agree to a multi fight contract. It would be a one and done, IMO, because he'd look like CM Punk did in his first match.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I don't think Floyd can handle lack of attention. Not now but we'll see what happens in a couple of years.

He's going to flame out spectacularly. Guaranteed. He needs the spotlight on him at all times, and now that he's officially retired, he's trying desperately to stay in the public eye.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I don't think it will happen either, and that this is just a case of Mayweather trying to keep his name in the headlines despite being retired. But if there was enough money involved, I'm sure he'd be open to it. It would be just like the McGregor boxing crap. He's not an MMA guy so after he looses, he can say everyone expected him to loose and that it's not his style of fighting. There would be no shame in that either, since it's true.

The big question is whether the UFC would ever pony up the kind of money needed to make this happen. They won't. And if they did, he'd never agree to a multi fight contract. It would be a one and done, IMO, because he'd look like CM Punk did in his first match.
Well, I suppose Floyd could do this

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

The contract would be based mainly on PPV buys anyway.

If it happens, Conor wins easily and they both make a ton of money.

Then they do a 3rd "tie-break" fight which could be hybrid like I suggested before - 9 rounds boxing, followed by 3 rounds MMA.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
The contract would be based mainly on PPV buys anyway.

If it happens, Conor wins easily and they both make a ton of money.

Then they do a 3rd "tie-break" fight which could be hybrid like I suggested before - 9 rounds boxing, followed by 3 rounds MMA.

I'd love that. I know it's a pipe dream, but it would at least be entertaining. I'd even like to see something like alternate rules every other round. Now that would be a lot of fun.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Lawler absolutely dwarfed RDA. Surprised he's a slight underdog in this one. RDA said he feels he has an advantage in the later rounds against Lawler. I can't see that being the case.

Reactions: LSCII

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
So Colby Covington tweeted out Star Wars spoilers on opening night. He even hashtagged it, and the replies not only got it trending but if you searched the top results of the hashtag, it would come up. :laugh: And based on the hate he's getting right now on twitter, he could go to a children's hospital and tell all the kids Santa isn't real, and that STILL wouldn't get nearly as much of a response.:biglaugh:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
So Colby Covington tweeted out Star Wars spoilers on opening night. He even hashtagged it, and the replies not only got it trending but if you searched the top results of the hashtag, it would come up. :laugh: And based on the hate he's getting right now on twitter, he could go to a children's hospital and tell all the kids Santa isn't real, and that STILL wouldn't get nearly as much of a response.:biglaugh:

That's awesome.

Mostly because I hate Star Wars.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Great fight by Dos Anjos. Worked a great gameplan and Lawler really didn't have anything for him. I actually think he can employ a similar gameplan against Woodley, though I do think Woodley would wrestling more. The fight to make IMO is Dos Anjos v Covington next, would be a great Fight Night main event in Brazil.

Huge KO from Josh Emmett. Hard to figure out where this puts him since it was a short-notice fight and he didn't make weight. I think guys are going to start saying no when their opponent misses weight as I think the overweight guys have been on a nice run. I know Tim Elliott did it on this card, you'll probably see others.

Ponzinibbio v Perry was the brawl that most expected. The more technical and well-rounded guy got the win, but I thought both guys showed well.

Big win for Teixeira. I know he's facing tough guys, but that's another big, quick loss for Cirkunov after many thought he would be in the title mix at some point. Would like to see Glover get another fight in there before any talk of him v Cormier.

Pretty good undercard & card in general. Julian Marquez got a lot of buzz and that was a really fun fight, but he's extremely raw. Hopefully they take it slow with him. Overall a really solid card.

Reactions: td_ice

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Heading into the fight, I heard how much bigger Lawler looked than RDA at the weigh in. After seeing them in the ring together, I don't know where that came from because RDA looked bigger than Lawler on fight night. To the point where, IMO, he looked juiced to the gills. I mean, he literally rag dolled Lawler all fight long.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I wonder where all the RDA detractors are now.. All those saying he was slumping since USADA, he's been tested 10 times this year, and in that time, ran through 3 top level fighters, each more impressive than the last.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
Meh, Saffiedine and Magny aren't that great. Lawler hasn't been the same since the last title fight. RDA would get murked by Woodley.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Heading into the fight, I heard how much bigger Lawler looked than RDA at the weigh in. After seeing them in the ring together, I don't know where that came from because RDA looked bigger than Lawler on fight night. To the point where, IMO, he looked juiced to the gills. I mean, he literally rag dolled Lawler all fight long.
Yeah I was very surprised at the lack of size difference in the cage. I just saw their faceoff earlier in the week and Lawler was much bigger. That was an impressive performance.

Reactions: LSCII

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Meh, Saffiedine and Magny aren't that great. Lawler hasn't been the same since the last title fight. RDA would get murked by Woodley.

Woodley isn't 'murking' anyone.

And how hasn't Lawler been the same? He had one fight since then, which he won.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
By murk him, do you mean lay on top of the guy with little to no offense? Because that's been Woodley's MO in his last 3 fights. Boring as f*** to watch.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
Matchups. This is RDA we're talking about here, he's gonna swang and bang and be put to sleep like against Alvarez.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad