MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 7.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
No charged have been filed and the police are not investigating, so it's all rumor and speculation at this point. But yeah, he's off the rails right now. Shocking too, given that he seemed so grounded...lol
I think that’s the biggest thing. He seemed grounded and humble. He was humble in defeat and outside of fight promotion. Now he’s turned into this (all the while holding up yet another division.). I’m a Conor fan but it’s really tiring and annoying at this point.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
No charged have been filed and the police are not investigating, so it's all rumor and speculation at this point. But yeah, he's off the rails right now. Shocking too, given that he seemed so grounded...lol

"off the rails" is close

Reactions: LSCII

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
When athletes/celebrities go off like this, it gets worse before it gets better. I would guess there's more to come in terms of bad news for Conor in the next few weeks/months.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
He was humble because he wasn't in the position of power. Ego flourishes when once you're on top. He's the same guy he has always been, now he's just got more eyes on him.

You think he had never done coke, or drank and partied heavily or got someone pregnant or had fist fights? Of course he did, he just wasn't important enough for someone to care, notice or report it.

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
McGregor's made all the money he needs to with the Mayweather fight. In part why I thought it was a very bad idea for the UFC to agree to it. Now he's going to avoid fights for the foreseeable future by seemingly trying to get himself banned.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
The one thing that makes me call BS on this entire bar fight is the lack of video evidence. You're in a bar where the most famous athlete in the country of Ireland is punching multiple people, yet nobody has a picture or video of it? In today's age, that makes literally no sense.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
The one thing that makes me call BS on this entire bar fight is the lack of video evidence. You're in a bar where the most famous athlete in the country of Ireland is punching multiple people, yet nobody has a picture or video of it? In today's age, that makes literally no sense.

It was probably fast situation. Internet is full of comments by people from Ireland that situation was real. Kind of crazy that UFC fighter takes bar fights.

Last edited:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
It was probably fast situation. Internet is full of comments by people from Ireland that situation was real. Kind of crazy that UFC fighter takes bar fights.

Anything is possible, but again,given who he is and his status in Ireland, I'm surprised nobody had a cell phone out recording already. Even before the fights broke out.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Dana White on GSP:

“I don’t want to hear that. That’s not what I want to hear, I want to hear he’s going to defend his 185-pound title. That’s the agreement we made. That’s the deal we made when we made the deal.”
“I’m going to be super pissed and I don’t know where we go from there. Go to 170 — who’s better to fight at 170? You’ve got Woodley, you’ve got Wonderboy, you’ve got Romero, and then you’ve got Rockhold. Focking monsters. They’re all monsters. There’s no fight that looks like, ‘Oh, maybe this is the fight for me to take.’ You looked at Bisping like he was a tune-up. You got your tune-up. There’s nothing but focking animals at ’85 and ’70.
“Rockhold is massive. He’s massive when he cuts weight. There’s no good options. To sit there and try to handpick people, or where you want to go and everything else, you can’t in this focking sport. They’re all nasty. You’re a fighter. Get in there and see who you can focking beat. You wanted to focking come back. Welcome back, it’s ugly.

Dana White on McGregor:

"Money changes everything," White explained. "He may never fight again. He has got $100 million in the bank. It's tough to get punched in the face every day when you've got $100 million."
Jose Aldo and Tony Ferguson have both been vocal about wanting the UFC to put pressure on McGregor to either defend his title or vacate because it’s been almost two years since he knocked Aldo out for the featherweight championship. White responded to Ferguson specifically, saying he "has no business to talk about anything" and "we ain't taking direction from Tony Ferguson," according to the Review Journal's Adam Hill.
"At the end of the day, I'm going to run this business with or without anybody," White continued. "If Conor wants to fight again, we absolutely want Conor to come back. But if Conor walks away and doesn't fight again, it's part of the game.”
:laugh:

What a f***ing hypocritical piece of garbage.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010

Eh, where there's smoke, there's fire. There won't be any charges or police reports, the guy who got punched was an elderly father of a high ranking cartel member, and apparently he had no interest in retaliation, but that won't stop the cartel itself from seeking it. Guarantee not a soul would testify if asked anyways.

That being said, the media likes to sensationalize things, although it is a different world over there. And it's just another minor "incident" to add to his ever growing list.

Last edited:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Eh, where there's smoke, there's fire. There won't be any charges or police reports, the guy who got punched was an elderly father of a high ranking cartel member, and apparently he had no interest in retaliation, but that won't stop the cartel itself from seeking it. Guarantee not a soul would testify if asked anyways.

That being said, the media likes to sensationalize things, although it is a different world over there. And it's just another minor "incident" to add to his ever growing list.

There's no question the guy is in a spiral right now. Rich, young, and dumb. Deadly combination. lol

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Dana's ALWAYS had it out for GSP. I'd love for George to just say naa I'm really done now.
It boggles my mind. This guy has been nothing but class and is one of your biggest money makers of all time, yet he bashes him at every opportunity it seems. The way he treated him after the Hendricks fight was absolutely disgusting. And look at Pig Rigg now....

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Dana White also said that Tony Ferguson needs to keep his mouth shut with regards to a unification bout with McGregor and that (paraphrasing here) the UFC is not going to make any fight based on what Ferguson wants.

English Translation: Keep talking Tony, we want you to fight Conor in the New Year and we need you to keep calling him out.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Some head scratching stuff from Dana because that's just how he is but I missed his scrums so I'm glad he did it.

Regarding GSP, I don't think it matters what's written in the contract. He showed he's still a massive draw and they're in this to make money so they can't just tell him he's either fighting Whittaker or he's not fighting. They might try to play hard ball at first but ultimately he'll get to pick his opponent, date, and location.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I don't really have a problem with what Dana White said. Some people will jump on anything he says, but the MMA fanbase has always been kind of whiny whenever a fighter they like gets 'disrespected'.

People really need to not worry about what promoters and fighters say to the media when they are trying to setup fights. It's all just public negotiating and means nothing. I actually find it quite funny when people get mad or upset about comments like this, the same stuff has been going on since the beginning of time in the UFC and is just meaningless.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
So, the newest "rumour" is that Conor is demanding that NO other champions or PPV earning athletes are on his next card. Such horseshit if true. Seriously, you want more money? You have to help the UFC grow to make it happen, and that's how they'll grow, by bringing exposure to your fellow champions.

Soon he'll be asking for a complete boxing style card, basically a one man show. McGregor promotions presents "UFC: McGregor vs _____"

Be humble and do your f***ing job. This just goes to show what kinda champion a guy like GSP was/is.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
So, the newest "rumour" is that Conor is demanding that NO other champions or PPV earning athletes are on his next card. Such horse**** if true. Seriously, you want more money? You have to help the UFC grow to make it happen, and that's how they'll grow, by bringing exposure to your fellow champions.

Soon he'll be asking for a complete boxing style card, basically a one man show. McGregor promotions presents "UFC: McGregor vs _____"

Be humble and do your ****ing job. This just goes to show what kinda champion a guy like GSP was/is.

It's definitely more of a boxing style PPV.

People are going to mad about it, but it was Tyron Woodley that brought it up and he actually didn't have a problem with McGregor doing it. I don't really have a problem with the concept - you can easily create an awesome card without champions that are going to eat into Conor's PPV money.

It's just one of those things that isn't a big deal, it just sounds bad when you say it out loud.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
It's definitely more of a boxing style PPV.

People are going to mad about it, but it was Tyron Woodley that brought it up and he actually didn't have a problem with McGregor doing it. I don't really have a problem with the concept - you can easily create an awesome card without champions that are going to eat into Conor's PPV money.

It's just one of those things that isn't a big deal, it just sounds bad when you say it out loud.

It's bad for the fans. It completely ruins the idea of a "mega-card". And it takes money out of some very deserving champions pockets. Even if you put together a decent undercard, no ones going to care about it, just like boxing.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
It's bad for the fans. It completely ruins the idea of a "mega-card". And it takes money out of some very deserving champions pockets. Even if you put together a decent undercard, no ones going to care about it, just like boxing.

Oh please. Conor v Diaz 2 had no other title fights but had an undercard people cared about and drew a ton of people. Conor and Diaz made a ton and everyone was buzzing about Anthony Johnson among others. Was that card bad for the fans? For the UFC? For all of the fighters involved?

What you are asking for is Conor McGregor to subsidize other champions who don't draw. It's not taking money out of deserving champions, it's allocating the money properly based on why people are buying the card. It's very strange how an actual champion whose benefited in the past from Conor in Tyron Woodley understands this concept but you don't.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I don't have a problem at all with Conor wanting to be the sole benefactor of his PPV sales. He doesn't owe Tryon Woodley etc anything. May suck for us fans a bit if they don't "stack" a Conor McGregor card in the future, but as m9 pointed out, UFC 202 wasn't stacked and I happily paid for that card and was very happy with it. On the flipside, a stacked UFC 205 had two very meh championship co-main events that I could've done without on that card. A stacked card doesn't always equate to entertainment.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Not sure how well Shane Carwin is remembered, but looks like he's given up on his comeback. Announced his retirement on reddit

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

If the card will sell without being a "megacard" then what's the issue? Typically the reason the megacards happen is because none of the people involved in them are big draws by themselves. They need help getting the PPV buys and cannot carry the event themselves. As we all know, that isn't an issue with McGregor. He carries every card he's on.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
If the card will sell without being a "megacard" then what's the issue? Typically the reason the megacards happen is because none of the people involved in them are big draws by themselves. They need help getting the PPV buys and cannot carry the event themselves. As we all know, that isn't an issue with McGregor. He carries every card he's on.

Agreed. There are always exceptions to the rule (UFC 100, UFC 200, the MSG cards) but this is generally true.

I think the other thing to remember is this is all just a negotiating tactic by McGregor to get as much money as possible. There are easily ways the UFC can pay McGregor the same amount while still giving out PPV points to other guys. The UFC should want another championship fight is nice as it gets a ton of eyeballs on another champion and you hopefully parlay some of Conor's popularity onto those fighters. But you do that if & when it makes sense for the business, not because you 'owe' it to a TJ Dillashaw or Amanda Nunes.

Reactions: LSCII
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad