MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 7.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Looking forward to that Bellator tourney as well. Curious as to the bracket. I assume:

Fedor v Mir
Nelson v Mitrione
Rampage v King Mo
Sonnen v Bader

Then HW v HW, LHW v LHW.

Then the LHW gets "hurt" and is replaced in the final by Kongo.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
There's a Tyron Woodley vs. Nate Diaz rumour floating around for Dec. 30th. On Saturday, Woodley hinted at fighting again this year and said there might be news by the end of this week.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
WTF? That's just a non-sense fight. Diaz will just get wrestlef***ed. But if T-Wood decides to stand and trade, I wonder if Nate's chin can withstand Woodley's right hand. He is 20-30lbs heavier than any opponent he had ever faced. And last time he faced a real WW (Rory), he got rag-dolled. Now add 20 extra pounds on that top of it.

But I suppose it's a win-win for the UFC. Worst case, Tyron looks like an exciting fighter again by winning an easy fight. Best case, Nate somehow wins which sets up the McG fight for the third belt (LOL).

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Obviously scrambling for a PPV main event to end the year.

Weird fight, but I also don't think anyone else is ready for a shot at 170 lbs anyway.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC

Weird fight, but I also don't think anyone else is ready for a shot at 170 lbs anyway.

While no one at 170 is a clear cut #1 contender, the #6 lightweight certainly isn't it either. Just another example of why the Ali Extension Act needs to go through.

Also, the UFC has, allegedly, handed down Conor's punishment for his Bellator antics: He has been removed from the main even at UFC 219. LMAO.

Last edited:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
While no one at 170 is a clear cut #1 contender, the #6 lightweight certainly isn't it either. Just another example of why the Ali Extension Act needs to go through.

Also, the UFC has, allegedly, handed down Conor's punishment for his Bellator antics: He has been removed from the main even at UFC 219. LMAO.

There is a rumor from an ABC exec (no affiliation to the UFC) that they pulled him from UFC 219. There's no confirmation this is true or that he was even going to be on the event. Any real punishment will likely come from the commission anyway and not the UFC. Not sure what you're looking for here.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
There is a rumor from an ABC exec (no affiliation to the UFC) that they pulled him from UFC 219. There's no confirmation this is true or that he was even going to be on the event. Any real punishment will likely come from the commission anyway and not the UFC. Not sure what you're looking for here.

Seems pretty necessary for commissions to review the matter and either jointly decide on some sort of sanction, or independently levy some sort of suspension. 6-12 months seems appropriate given his past behaviour. My gut tells me nothing is going to happen, though.

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC

I'm not looking for anything. I thought it was funny. It's obviously not true, because they would have announced him to the card already. But on the other hand, it's totally something the UFC would do. He's definitely not getting the Jason High treatment, and I doubt the NAC will go too hard at him.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
I'm not looking for anything. I thought it was funny. It's obviously not true, because they would have announced him to the card already. But on the other hand, it's totally something the UFC would do. He's definitely not getting the Jason High treatment, and I doubt the NAC will go too hard at him.

Yeah, an obvious joke of a "punishment" from the UFC.

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Yeah, an obvious joke of a "punishment" from the UFC.
I do wonder though if the UFC might put him on probation for a bit before giving him equity. This is two incidents in as many months. Can't be an owner and do shit like that.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
I do wonder though if the UFC might put him on probation for a bit before giving him equity. This is two incidents in as many months. Can't be an owner and do **** like that.

yeah.... but isn't Dana White a shareholder? He has done all sorts of garbage. If they do something like that, they'll only do that because they don't want to give up ownership, not because they want to punish him.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
They would punish him so that they can get back some of the leverage and control in the relationship. It's the same reason the NFL continuously went after Zeke Elliott even though he was cleared by police - they wanted to maintain their control and show the players who is in charge even though it made zero financial sense for them to do so.

I don't trust the commission in cases like this, though. The NSAC are money-grabbing idiots, and this is the perfect opportunity to levy a huge fine to McGregor while letting him fight anyway and everyone can keep making money.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
They would punish him so that they can get back some of the leverage and control in the relationship. It's the same reason the NFL continuously went after Zeke Elliott even though he was cleared by police - they wanted to maintain their control and show the players who is in charge even though it made zero financial sense for them to do so.

I don't trust the commission in cases like this, though. The NSAC are money-grabbing idiots, and this is the perfect opportunity to levy a huge fine to McGregor while letting him fight anyway and everyone can keep making money.

Not sure if NSAC can go to the fine route either, since McGregor managed to get out of his last fine (or reduced the fine by a large amount) by threatening to never fight in Vegas (which further displays this commission is a s**t show)

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

They went after Elliot because along with the alleged assault of a girlfriend, he recently exposed a woman's breast at a parade, and punched out a bouncer at some hick dive bar in Dallas. That's a continual pattern and all bad publicity for a league that has lost viewers over the whole anthem kneeling thing. They didn't continue going after Elliot at all. He kept appealing, and just like when Brady tried to fight it, they weren't going to lose.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

They're desperate for anything that'll sell to close out the year. I think Woodley not wanting to fight again this year unless he gets a big fight also helps Nate in this situation. Woodley isn't fighting someone like Covington in six weeks with that sore shoulder. There's not enough for him to gain.

Of course he isn't going to get the High treatment. They clearly overreacted in that situation and he's their biggest start. It's not just because it's Conor though, Roy Nelson kicked John McCarthy after a fight and he got six months. So people wanting/expecting Conor to be suspended a year or stripped of his title for this should probably settle down a little bit because it's not happening. Also, I believe the guy he slapped was a Bellator employee so I doubt the UFC cares too much about that. They'll give him some small punishment for shoving Goddard and then move on. Originally I thought the commission might do more and the other commissions would have to follow but apparently they can't do much since he's not licensed there.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
They went after Elliot because along with the alleged assault of a girlfriend, he recently exposed a woman's breast at a parade, and punched out a bouncer at some hick dive bar in Dallas. That's a continual pattern and all bad publicity for a league that has lost viewers over the whole anthem kneeling thing. They didn't continue going after Elliot at all. He kept appealing, and just like when Brady tried to fight it, they weren't going to lose.

By continuing to go over him, I meant they continued to investigate him even when the police had stopped.

Besides, this on and off suspension that has been a topic all season is much worse publicity than if they hadn't pursued it further after the police stopped. They chose to go over him knowing the publicity would be worse.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Not sure if NSAC can go to the fine route either, since McGregor managed to get out of his last fine (or reduced the fine by a large amount) by threatening to never fight in Vegas (which further displays this commission is a s**t show)

He still got fined $25k, which is a pretty hefty fine compared to the usual because of how much he makes.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
It's ridiculous if commission ain't able to do anything. If they can order the judges, then this should be piece of cake.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
It's ridiculous if commission ain't able to do anything. If they can order the judges, then this should be piece of cake.

Each state has it's own athletic commission that covers only their state. The Nevada Athletic Commission does not have to honor any suspension from an outside commission and vice versa. Because McGregor did this in Ireland, they can't impose their suspension on Nevada, and really, would they honestly suspend him anyways?

And most importantly, that show ended up doing huge numbers for Bellatore and it was all because of the incident involving McGregor. If anything they shouldn't be calling for him to get suspended. Instead, they should be sending him free cage side tickets for their next event. He made it relevant. He made it a must see. They benefited greatly because a show that was tape delayed pulled far bigger numbers than it ever would have.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Covington actually called the police after talking more nonsense about Brazil and throwing gay slurs at Werdum? What a bum.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
First Tony, now Covington? Werdum sure likes to go after the smaller guys.

Based on the video I saw, it was Tony that started that crap, Werdum was just sitting minding his own business, he even greeted Tony nicely when he came in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad