MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 7.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
UFC 219 has a main event: Cyborg/Holm will happen. Sounds like the UFC went back to Holm with a better offer.

Last edited:

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Kudos to Holm for accepting the offer. We've seen a lot of girls talk about how they'd be totally down to fight Cyborg, then the opportunity presents itself, and it's one excuse after another. She's a smart fighter and also quite big/strong, so perhaps she has a great gameplan, can control distance, limit damage, tire Cyborg, but I still can't say I see this ending well for her. Opening odds around -550 for Cyborg?

** Just checked and it's only -400.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Lots of people think Cyborg can be a star, well here's her chance. Versus Holly Holm, good undercard, and generally the late December PPV does decent #'s. Very curious how well this card does.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I'm cool with that main event but I'm hoping they still add a good co-main. Khabib/Barboza, Condit/Magny, and Calvillo/Esparza are good fights that I'm looking forward but I don't know how much it'll help them with sales.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Kudos to Holm for accepting the offer. We've seen a lot of girls talk about how they'd be totally down to fight Cyborg, then the opportunity presents itself, and it's one excuse after another. She's a smart fighter and also quite big/strong, so perhaps she has a great gameplan, can control distance, limit damage, tire Cyborg, but I still can't say I see this ending well for her. Opening odds around -550 for Cyborg?

** Just checked and it's only -400.

Pretty much the worst stylistic matchup for Holm. The current iteration of Cyborg is an aggressive counter puncher. This is the kind of strategy that led to her last 2 losses to GDR and Shevchenko. Cut the space of the cage, wait for Holly to lead and counter her. Rinse & Repeat. Good strikers find ways to counter Holm on the regular and I don't think she can handle too many counters from Cyborg

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Shane Carwin did an AMA on Reddit saying he contacted Bellator about being an alternate in the tourney, now that would be awesome.

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC

A Rampage/Fedor match up would be very cool.

No Dada 5000? Pass.... :sarcasm: Would liked to have seen Bobby Lashley in though. Maybe he can fight Carwin for that alternate spot.

Only thing I don't like about this is having the opening rounds on separate events. Should have had two matches on the LA card in January (with the Lima/Rory fight that would be a stacked card) and the other two at the Mohegan Sun card in February. Semis could then be in May in San Jose and then the Final at the end of summer or early in the fall, either in SJ, LA or NYC.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
No Dada 5000? Pass.... :sarcasm: Would liked to have seen Bobby Lashley in though. Maybe he can fight Carwin for that alternate spot.

Only thing I don't like about this is having the opening rounds on separate events. Should have had two matches on the LA card in January (with the Lima/Rory fight that would be a stacked card) and the other two at the Mohegan Sun card in February. Semis could then be in May in San Jose and then the Final at the end of summer or early in the fall, either in SJ, LA or NYC.

I guess they wanted to spread it out to have something to watch on each of those cards. Also, Mir is still suspended until April so that's the earliest they can do that fight.

Bader-Mo is gonna be such a snoozefest. Are these all 5 rounds?

Bellator only does five rounds for title fights so I don't think so. I hope they aren't because the only guys who might be able to go five rounds are probably Chael, Bader, and Mo.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
How do these brackets even work? What happens if someone gets injured in Round 2? They just get a random person to fill in?

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
How do these brackets even work? What happens if someone gets injured in Round 2? They just get a random person to fill in?

Perhaps the guys who are eliminated automatically become alternates just in case, and like I said earlier, Carwin is looking to be a replacement. It's a guarantee that bracket will change.

I like these Grand Prix's, but I think it was a bad choice to let it play out over a full year, they should've tried to compact it a bit more. I feel by the end of it, everyone will be saying , "oh yah, I forgot this was happening".

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016

Personally, I would've had the entire opening round on the same card

But I agree the omission of Lashley feels like a missed opportunity

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
It would be kinda cool if they all fought in one night. One round for the first two fights and then a 3 round fight in the final.

Definitely a waste of talent and can potentially produce snoozers (if wrestlers are involved) but definitely more fun that way since these fighters can't fight every week like in any other sport bracket. Maybe they could do it with lower level fighters.

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
In unsurprising news, Ben Askren beat Shinya Aoki via TKO in 57 seconds this morning at ONE 65. Retires undefeated. Shame we didn't see him in the UFC, win or lose, I think he would have been competitive. Despite his boring reputation, he stopped a lot of fights.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Ben Askren is an interesting rare case of a fighter making so much money in the lower level promotions that he would have to take a pay cut to join the UFC and the UFC had zero interest paying him anymore than as a mid-tier guy. All in all, the man did a fantastic job making as much money as he could in his career.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Two guys I always wanted to see in UFC were Askren and Gaethje. Obviously Askren isn't going to go there at any point, given how he feels and speaks about Dana White, but at least Gaethje did finally come.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
how long before we're reading stories of the rise and fall of Conor McGregor? Cause this guy has lost his mind this year and is now involved in some mafia hitman bullshit and has pretty much become the complete opposite of what he was earlier on.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
how long before we're reading stories of the rise and fall of Conor McGregor? Cause this guy has lost his mind this year and is now involved in some mafia hitman bull**** and has pretty much become the complete opposite of what he was earlier on.

he what?

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
One of the daughters of someone associated with that cartel supposedly named McGregor.

Regardless, dudes been out of his mind for the last few months lmfao

No charged have been filed and the police are not investigating, so it's all rumor and speculation at this point. But yeah, he's off the rails right now. Shocking too, given that he seemed so grounded...lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad