MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 7.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Official: I ain't going.

Typical UFC giving Canada **** cards. The best fight on the card is Melendez vs Stephens. Haha

Tough to blame the UFC here. The main card was going to be the two title fights, a potential #1 contender HW fight, Melendez/Stephens, and Magny/RDA. They're also still trying to keep Ngannou on the card.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I'd selfishly like to see them pull Lewis from that fight so I can watch Ngannou/Lewis live. That's the fight a lot of people wanted them to make to begin with before Lewis lost to Hunt.

Oh no doubt I'd love to see it, don't see Lewis biting on that one though, especially after his last go with Mark Hunt.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Tough to blame the UFC here. The main card was going to be the two title fights, a potential #1 contender HW fight, Melendez/Stephens, and Magny/RDA. They're also still trying to keep Ngannou on the card.

Yah the card itself is actually "decent", the UFC is just struggling to maintain pace at this point for a ton of reasons, injuries, disputes, title hold ups, etc. They had a crazy run last year and even the beginning of this, it was bound to dry up somewhat.

Last edited:

dss97

Aug 30, 2010

Nunes vs Schevcheko should be a competitive fight, I just don't find WMMA very entertaining most of the time.

Don't care for watching DJ at all.

RDA vs Magny has potential.

Overall, it's a bad card imo.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Always wait until the last minute and buy secondary market tickets.

Absolutely.

The price never goes up, at worst it stays the same. But way too often the costs will go down a ton.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Absolutely.

The price never goes up, at worst it stays the same. But way too often the costs will go down a ton.

Often tons of tickets given away for free if you're around the arena in the days leading up to the event, too.

I've never paid full price for tickets and been to half a dozen events. Always floor or very low lower bowl seats.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Often tons of tickets given away for free if you're around the arena in the days leading up to the event, too.

I've never paid full price for tickets and been to half a dozen events. Always floor or very low lower bowl seats.

The tickets in Vancouver have gone down for every event. Vegas is a bit more difficult because they frown on scalpers inside the MGM or Mandalay, but it will be way easier outside of T-Mobile since it's outside and they don't care.

The only time I've paid full-price is for the Seattle cards, simply out of convenience and I didn't feel like dealing with it once I got there.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
He wants money. Neither Lee or Ferguson provide any real $$$. I would love to see Nate fight Ferguson, win and then fight McGregor. But I'm sure he didn't want to risk losing and missing his chance.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Of course it will be the trilogy fight next, makes the most sense. Probably in December or the Super Bowl card.

La Masse

May 5, 2016
Gatineau,Quebec
I'm good with a trilogy fight as long as the belt is on the line.

Yep this makes probably the most sense business wise.I wonder if either Nate or Conor has the advantage at 155lbs. The only sample we have of Conor at 155 in the UFC is his last fight against Eddie where I'm not even sure he missed a punch:laugh:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I like Conor in the 3rd fight. He's been training for the biggest fight of his life, Diaz hasn't. It's the perfect fight for both guys.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I like Conor in the 3rd fight. He's been training for the biggest fight of his life, Diaz hasn't. It's the perfect fight for both guys.
I'd like to see it at 155, not where Conor adds a ton of muscle and limits his gas tank.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I know I said I was fine with Diaz 3 being for the belt, but I've started to move away from that. Nate does not deserve a title shot. But, this fight needs to happen. Nate does not care about the belt anyway, so either make it a non-title fight, or have the fight at a catchweight of 160lbs so it's not a true LW fight. That way if Conor loses, his LW title is still in tact and he can then fight the interim champion.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I know I said I was fine with Diaz 3 being for the belt, but I've started to move away from that. Nate does not deserve a title shot. But, this fight needs to happen. Nate does not care about the belt anyway, so either make it a non-title fight, or have the fight at a catchweight of 160lbs so it's not a true LW fight. That way if Conor loses, his LW title is still in tact and he can then fight the interim champion.

Conor should have to defend his belt in his next fight so Nate might not deserve the next title shot but he should get it if that's the fight they make.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

Having a catchweight to prevent Conor from losing his belt makes no sense to me.

While I don't think Nate deserves a title shot through traditional means, he does deserve to fight Conor McGregor.

Conor just happens to have the belt in this case, so put it up for grabs.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Conor actually returning to the UFC and still not defending his title is absurd. There's no merit to being a champion if you never ****ing defend it. If you need to have another 'money fight' against a guy who doesn't deserve a title shot then go ahead, but ffs at least defend it against someone.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Conor actually returning to the UFC and still not defending his title is absurd. There's no merit to being a champion if you never ****ing defend it. If you need to have another 'money fight' against a guy who doesn't deserve a title shot then go ahead, but ffs at least defend it against someone.

Yup. 155 is the only place it happens.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I guess in the end, no one is going to care if Diaz gets a title shot, safe for maybe the Ferguson/Lee winner. But they're still fighting for a belt, and will get paid accordingly and will just have to wait longer to unify the two. No big deal really.

After all, Hendo got an undeserved title shot because Bisping was ducking Romero.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
from a promotional standpoint, I'd say book Mcgregor vs Diaz, then, if Conor wins (which is no guarantee), have him do a TUF season with the winner of Ferguson vs Lee (in an attempt to increase interest via guaranteed trash talk). And while all of this is happening, pray that Khabib can manage to fight once or twice to rebuild interest in him.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
from a promotional standpoint, I'd say book Mcgregor vs Diaz, then, if Conor wins (which is no guarantee), have him do a TUF season with the winner of Ferguson vs Lee (in an attempt to increase interest via guaranteed trash talk). And while all of this is happening, pray that Khabib can manage to fight once or twice to rebuild interest in him.

The days of needing to build a McGregor fight are over, there is no need to tie up the resources in TUF for that fight.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Did anybody even watch his TUF coaching gig? I didn't. You put him and Kevin Lee on a world tour and sparks will fly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad