MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 7.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I guess we shouldn't be surprised Bisping/GSP is back on. I would've preferred Bisping/Whittaker and Woodley/GSP just because it makes more sense but Whittaker's injury and Woodley's performance screwed that up.

As for Jones/Lesnar, I think that's easy work for Jones. Jones is just so much better and his size and lack of KO power won't matter. IMO, he'll finish Lesnar and it'll probably be early.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Jones vs Lesnar....why?

Is Jones actually moving up or is this some one-time "money fight" crap.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Obviously that statement has changed. Don't act like Jones had that in his repertoire until now.

He absolutely did. There are questions about his punching power but not about the kicks and elbows he can stun guys with.

Jones opens as a -300 favourite over Lesnar.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
He absolutely did. There are questions about his punching power but not about the kicks and elbows he can stun guys with.

Jones opens as a -300 favourite over Lesnar.

No. He didn't. Sure he could stun guys, but the amount of stopping power he needed to hurt DC that bad, didn't exist before, let's not forget DC got blasted by Rumble and Gus and it didn't bother him too much. He's always been known for his slick standup and ability to pick guys apart and accumulate damage, and his vicious GNP, no ones ever been too worried about getting head kick knocked out by him. His power lifting has done wonders for his KO power.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
One of the interesting aspects of a potential Jones/Lesnar fight would be reach. Jones wouldn't have a substantial reach advantage like he does over the entire LHW division. Lesnar is what, 81-82 in reach? He's also on par in height as well and other than Gustafsson who has the height and reach? We saw the difficulty Jones had fighting someone his own size but Gus is a world class striker. Other than that who has Jones faced that would be almost identical in reach or height? OSP 6'4 80in reach (He is not on Lesnar's level). That's about it. Just an interesting aspect.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
No. He didn't. Sure he could stun guys, but the amount of stopping power he needed to hurt DC that bad, didn't exist before, let's not forget DC got blasted by Rumble and Gus and it didn't bother him too much. He's always been known for his slick standup and ability to pick guys apart and accumulate damage, and his vicious GNP, no ones ever been too worried about getting head kick knocked out by him. His power lifting has done wonders for his KO power.

I don't know if I'd say this is a result of power lifting or adding more strength. I think that was just a great shot and one that requires perfect timing and technique more so than strength. DC dipped his head and Jones connected with his shin right to the side of his head. IMO, it's something Jones was always capable of.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I don't know if I'd say this is a result of power lifting or adding more strength. I think that was just a great shot and one that requires perfect timing and technique more so than strength. DC dipped his head and Jones connected with his shin right to the side of his head. IMO, it's something Jones was always capable of.

How is power lifting not the same as adding more strength lol. Other than that, I do agree it was a perfectly timed shot, I still don't think Jones had the power to hurt him that bad in the past.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
Well, we all know that lifting weights has no impact on punching power. Now kicking power? Who knows. Squats/deadlifts teach explosiveness so it kinda makes sense.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
My god this is like reading Sherdog forums. Jones is an accomplished kickboxer and because he's done some squats and deads, THAT is why he was able to stun DC?

**** me. :facepalm:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
So Jones nearly kills Cormier, but has zero power to phase Brock. Okay.

You don't think the large size difference will mitigate whatever power Jones has, at least to some extent? Lesnar is going to weigh in at 265ish pounds. DC came in at 205. Even if he swelled up to 220, Lesnar will be at least 45 lbs heavier, and taller. That will automatically reduce the impact of any punches, IMO.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
You don't think the large size difference will mitigate whatever power Jones has, at least to some extent? Lesnar is going to weigh in at 265ish pounds. DC came in at 205. Even if he swelled up to 220, Lesnar will be at least 45 lbs heavier, and taller. That will automatically reduce the impact of any punches, IMO.

If Brock gets Jones against the fence, absolutely. But if Jones is able to keep Brock standing in the center of the cage, I like Jones chances. Unless Brock has some world class ability to check kicks, Jones is going to chop at him like a tree. Do that over a couple rounds, Brocks hands will start to drop and then boom.

Plus it's not like Jones doesn't have monsters to train with. Overeem is one of them and while he's not has heavy as Brock, he's much bigger than Jones. Plus with the likelihood this fight wouldn't happen until 2018, it gives Jones time to add weight.

Last edited:

La Masse

May 5, 2016
Gatineau,Quebec
Don't forget that Lesnar has one of the worst chins in MMA. I mean the guy just hates getting hit. If Lesnar can't get Jones on the mat, he's going to get KO'd pretty easily IMO. I wonder if Jones would be able to take Brock down with the difference in weight

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Don't forget that Lesnar has one of the worst chins in MMA. I mean the guy just hates getting hit. If Lesnar can't get Jones on the mat, he's going to get KO'd pretty easily IMO. I wonder if Jones would be able to take Brock down with the difference in weight

- Lesnar has one of the best chins in MMA. The shots he took from Shane Carwin were ****ing insane. His issue is he doesn't like being hit. Nobody likes being hit but the way he reacts is different from your usual MMA fighter. You can tell he never grew up boxing or whatever

- Since winning the title, Jon Jones has two KO/TKO wins. One was Daniel Cormier, and the other was Chael ****ing Sonnen who had no business being in that fight. I can definitely see Jones finishing Lesnar. It won't be by a knockout to the head. I think he bodyshots Lesnar all night.

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
That would be a really interesting fight and I'd go with Brock. The size advantages Jones usually has are completely gone. I know DC can run the division otherwise but against Jones it looks like an impossible disadvantage given the their frame size difference.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
There's interesting and competitive fights at HW for Jones. Not sure Lesnar is one of them. Lesnar brings size and great top control, but he's so bad at everything else... I would imagine Jones spamming kicks to the body till Lesnar turtles up

I'm more interested in seeing Jones deal with long-reach strikers.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
This is absolutely false. Carwin hit him with ****ing hammers for the better part of a round, Lesnar got up, Laughed and then choked him out with ease.

La Masse

May 5, 2016
Gatineau,Quebec
This is absolutely false. Carwin hit him with ****ing hammers for the better part of a round, Lesnar got up, Laughed and then choked him out with ease.

Ya you're right I should have said he simply doesn't like to get hit. He reacts very differently then most fighters. Both of his losses against Cain and Overeem, you could just see the akwardness when he got it

La Masse

May 5, 2016
Gatineau,Quebec
- Lesnar has one of the best chins in MMA. The shots he took from Shane Carwin were ****ing insane. His issue is he doesn't like being hit. Nobody likes being hit but the way he reacts is different from your usual MMA fighter. You can tell he never grew up boxing or whatever

- Since winning the title, Jon Jones has two KO/TKO wins. One was Daniel Cormier, and the other was Chael ****ing Sonnen who had no business being in that fight. I can definitely see Jones finishing Lesnar. It won't be by a knockout to the head. I think he bodyshots Lesnar all night.

For the first part, you're right I should have said he simply doesn't like to get hit.

- As for Jones KO/TKO part, while I agree he hasn't finished alot of fighters, he certainly has alot of tools to do so. Lesnar has great wrestling but i wonder what he looks like from his back

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Ya you're right I should have said he simply doesn't like to get hit. He reacts very differently then most fighters. Both of his losses against Cain and Overeem, you could just see the akwardness when he got it

Definitely. I can see that, however the Brock that fought Overeem should have never taken that fight after diverticulitis. He took one shot to the guts and basically crumpled on the spot.

La Masse

May 5, 2016
Gatineau,Quebec
Definitely. I can see that, however the Brock that fought Overeem should have never taken that fight after diverticulitis. He took one shot to the guts and basically crumpled on the spot.

That plus add in pre-USADA Overeem lol. So basically it all depends on if Brock can put Jon on his back.If he can't, it's lights out for Brock

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country

You can see it in all his fights.

Even fight 2 against Mir, which he won, but he tends to flinch and duck and run backwards like a high school nerd as soon as the punches come at him. Even the feints. Everything you are NOT supposed to do.

Against Carwin it was more pronounced as soon as he took the first shot. Pure panic at getting hit in the face.

Its almost embarrassing that such a physical monster suddenly is wearing size 8 skinny jeans at the first touch of leather.

Brock needs to go to Thailand for a year and just get hit in the face every day until he learns how to roll with punches and not flinch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad