MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 7.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Just watched the Bellator show last night. There were some good fights on there.

I thought the Benson/Pitbull fight was just your typical Benson fight where it happens, you have no idea who won, and then a few days later you forget it ever happened. Not the kind of start to his Bellator career I expected from Larkin but you have to give credit to Daley. Much better showing from Pico this time and they should continue to build him slowly.

I think Rory in going to run right through Lima. I don't believe it'll be close.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Max v Edgar should be great.

Missed opportunity by the UFC though. Everyone wants less events, but as I brought up a couple of years ago the real issue is just having less PPV's.. you can cut maybe 4 events per year and the quality of the cards increases dramatically. This should be the main event of a Fox card - it's going to be a great fight, Edgar has some name cache, and they can help make Holloway a star if he can win. But instead, it's on a filler PPV that will do under 300k.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
While on the subject of Fox, the UFC ended their exclusive negotiations with Fox and are now free to negotiate a new TV deal with any network. ESPN are probably the favourites, while Stephen Espinoza at Showtime has said they would be interested as well.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
While on the subject of Fox, the UFC ended their exclusive negotiations with Fox and are now free to negotiate a new TV deal with any network. ESPN are probably the favourites, while Stephen Espinoza at Showtime has said they would be interested as well.

I'm really interested how it plays out. Fans should hope that whatever they come up with is something that drastically lowers the amounts of cards per year. The last I heard that was the plan, but I'm sure it just all comes down to money.

Now I just need them to ditch the TSN deal or at least allow the TSN fights to be on Fight Pass.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
We know it probably won't last but that card looks really good right now.

Holloway vs. Edgar
Overeem vs. Ngannou
Alvarez vs. Gaethje
Cejudo vs. Pettis

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I'm really interested how it plays out. Fans should hope that whatever they come up with is something that drastically lowers the amounts of cards per year. The last I heard that was the plan, but I'm sure it just all comes down to money.

Now I just need them to ditch the TSN deal or at least allow the TSN fights to be on Fight Pass.

What's wrong with the TSN deal? Or did you cut the cord?

No argument there's too many events. The amount of Fight Night cards the past two, three years has been ridiculous. I'd like to see more of a shift towards Fight Pass for premier cards. Or if you're a subscriber, make the PPV available on Fight Pass at a reduced rate.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Did I hear somewhere that Rumble is returning and will fight at heavyweight?

Helwani talked to him today and he said he was 250 lbs and had talked to UFC officials, but did not have a deal in place to return yet. Also said it was 6 months out as he would have to reenter USADA testing. He looked very thick in the picture on mmafighting.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
What's wrong with the TSN deal? Or did you cut the cord?

No argument there's too many events. The amount of Fight Night cards the past two, three years has been ridiculous. I'd like to see more of a shift towards Fight Pass for premier cards. Or if you're a subscriber, make the PPV available on Fight Pass at a reduced rate.

Trying to completely cut the cord. I'm close, but the cards/prelims on TSN are holding it up a bit.

All that content needs to be available on Fight Pass. And yeah, they need to integrate the PPVs somehow. They could probably do them for half-price as a recurring charge and still come out ahead.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Trying to completely cut the cord. I'm close, but the cards/prelims on TSN are holding it up a bit.

All that content needs to be available on Fight Pass. And yeah, they need to integrate the PPVs somehow. They could probably do them for half-price as a recurring charge and still come out ahead.

Do you use some sort of IP service to view from different regions? I feel like that's necessary to watch hockey with NHL Gamecenter, as there are always regional blackouts for games for your local market team. I feel like there must be similar options for Fight Pass, where prelims are available online if you just deke outside of the region restrictions.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Do you use some sort of IP service to view from different regions? I feel like that's necessary to watch hockey with NHL Gamecenter, as there are always regional blackouts for games for your local market team. I feel like there must be similar options for Fight Pass, where prelims are available online if you just deke outside of the region restrictions.

Because of the TSN thing, I haven't cancelled my cable yet so I still have Sportsnet. I think I have the lowest cable package + a sports bundle. But if the TSN/UFC block on Fight Pass was gone I could just get Sportsnet Now for the hockey season, I think it's 25-30 bucks a month. So I think DAZN for NFL season (20 bucks x 4 or 5 months) Fight Pass for UFC (10 bucks a month x 12 months) & Sportsnet Now for NHL season (6 months x 30 bucks) puts me around 400 bucks to cover me for the year.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Because of the TSN thing, I haven't cancelled my cable yet so I still have Sportsnet. I think I have the lowest cable package + a sports bundle. But if the TSN/UFC block on Fight Pass was gone I could just get Sportsnet Now for the hockey season, I think it's 25-30 bucks a month. So I think DAZN for NFL season (20 bucks x 4 or 5 months) Fight Pass for UFC (10 bucks a month x 12 months) & Sportsnet Now for NHL season (6 months x 30 bucks) puts me around 400 bucks to cover me for the year.

For hockey I think NHL Gamecenter is cheaper than that (free with many Rogers Wireless plans) if you can get out of the regional blackouts. Then, if you still really want other Sportsnet hockey content you can subscribe to their Hockey Central podcast.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
For hockey I think NHL Gamecenter is cheaper than that (free with many Rogers Wireless plans) if you can get out of the regional blackouts. Then, if you still really want other Sportsnet hockey content you can subscribe to their Hockey Central podcast.

I really only watch the "regional" coverage and the playoffs so Gamecenter isn't great for me.

From the "Wow, I didn't see that coming" file, Mark Hunt is pissed at Dana again.
https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/10...post-after-removal-from-ufc-sydney-main-event

I love watching Hunt fight, but it's hard to really get behind him at this point. It's funny to read though.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I think Hunt has made some good points regarding PEDs since this whole thing first started but he loses me when he starts going on some of these rants that just don't make a lot of sense to me. How does pulling Hunt from a card in Australia benefit the UFC? Hunt is easily more popular than Werdum in Australia and they obviously put him in the main event to cater to the locals. If they wanted to punish him or screw him over because of the lawsuit, they wouldn't keep promoting him and giving him these main event slots. This is somewhat similar to what happened with Cain a few months back where he willingly did an interview talking about an injury and then the commission/UFC stepped in and pulled him from the fight.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I think Hunt has made some good points regarding PEDs since this whole thing first started but he loses me when he starts going on some of these rants that just don't make a lot of sense to me. How does pulling Hunt from a card in Australia benefit the UFC? Hunt is easily more popular than Werdum in Australia and they obviously put him in the main event to cater to the locals. If they wanted to punish him or screw him over because of the lawsuit, they wouldn't keep promoting him and giving him these main event slots. This is somewhat similar to what happened with Cain a few months back where he willingly did an interview talking about an injury and then the commission/UFC stepped in and pulled him from the fight.

It doesn't. In fact it hurts them. But rolling this guy out there to end up dead would be far worse for the UFC than what they did. If you haven't read the article he wrote, go read it. There's no way they were going to let him go out there and risk him dying in the ring at their event. The guy basically admits to having brain damage from all his fights. To the point where his body is breaking down and he has gaps in his memory all the time. That's not a good thing.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
This is simply going to re-enforces Mark Hunt's desire to get out of his UFC contract.

Hunt just re-signed a 6 fight contract last year, it's not like he's been tied on some bad deal for years. If he has a contract issue it's on him.

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
Winnipeg's card is already far superior to that trash card we got in Edmonton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad