Status
Not open for further replies.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA

Well that was quick.

Solid off-season, Sigi.

Sad to see Gyasi go, but he lost his game when Keane left. Hopefully he gets a fresh start. Have to assume Kamara and Allessandrini are good for at least 20 goals between the two and then whatever Gio does will be gravy. Midfield looks 10x better than last year, actually have a decent striker, an actual MLS starting keeper. While the defensive depth has improved, it's still not great and with lots of unknowns. Cautiously optimistic, but still not completely sold.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

I could see that competing. We'll see, either way that looks a billion times better than what it did a year ago.

Losing Gyasi stings, but it was in the best interest of both the club and Zardes himself. He really needs a change of scenery, and I do think he'll rebound solidly. Losing Keane hurt a lot, but Gio & Gyasi flat-out do not work together and only one of them was realistically movable.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
San Jose needed defenders, and I see he plays right back. He will probably immediately get to play some. San Jose isn't the kind of team that goes and signs old players to retirement contracts.

Nick Lima is their RB, he was just called into the US National Team Camp. It might be hard to break in at that position.

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
Premier League transfer news: Stoke City make transfer bid for New York City FC's Jack Harrison | Goal.com

Stoke City has tabled a $4.5 million offer for the New York City FC midfielder, multiple sources have confirmed to Goal. The offer, which includes incentives that could push it to $6 million, is an improved bid made after NYCFC turned down an initial $3 million offer last week.

Sources tell Goal that NYCFC is open to selling Harrison for the right price, with recent comments Reyna made about selling players seeming to support that belief.

I feel like if they waited till the summer window they could get more for him. However, they could get a little bit more out of Stoke if they are wanting to sell him now since Stoke are desperate to try any thing to avoid relegation.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
Premier League transfer news: Stoke City make transfer bid for New York City FC's Jack Harrison | Goal.com

I feel like if they waited till the summer window they could get more for him. However, they could get a little bit more out of Stoke if they are wanting to sell him now since Stoke are desperate to try any thing to avoid relegation.

They could probably get more for him in the summer but due to MLS being MLS teams retain a higher percentage of transfers made in the winter.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Wunderfubar.

Well. Hope he does well for you guys and thereby gets the recognition he deserves. Would be nice if something good comes out of this bull****.

If used properly I fully expect a major bounce-back from Zardes, and he's a world class guy who the fans should love...but yeah, that was poor trade value there considering Zardes was effectively a bench player for the Galaxy because of Gio and the formation.

Chris Pontius added since the deal, too. Aside from some absurdly shallow depth up front, the Galaxy are loaded in the midfield. I'm shocked we were able to keep Boateng in the Kamara trade. Pontius would have been a solid fall-back option there, instead he's just extra depth. Figured he'd go to LAFC considering he seemed intent on returning closer to home, but I won't complain. Not after the pathetic depth we had at every position last year.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Just catching up on the week, was in Vegas, the crew deal for kamara is great for the crew if kamara is a system player.

Using the tam for the LB we got was good business...will be interesting who we get to play up top. If meram is traded, I would guess that's the deal to get a striker, so it's not Adam jahn.

I love to hear Precourt is now talking to Columbus investors, even if he's using it to pressure Austin into a decision...maybe save the crew is working...

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Just catching up on the week, was in Vegas, the crew deal for kamara is great for the crew if kamara is a system player.

Using the tam for the LB we got was good business...will be interesting who we get to play up top. If meram is traded, I would guess that's the deal to get a striker, so it's not Adam jahn.

I love to hear Precourt is now talking to Columbus investors, even if he's using it to pressure Austin into a decision...maybe save the crew is working...
Enh. I'm not all that thrilled with Zardes. I'd be willing to be proven wrong, but it's difficult for me to muster my usual optimism in the face of the relocation threat.

I'm not going to assume anything comes of MLS's current tone shift unless and until that February "no parkland allowed" resolution passes in Austin.

Reactions: Ar-too

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008

They could probably get more for him in the summer but due to MLS being MLS teams retain a higher percentage of transfers made in the winter.

The problem with selling in the summer, is it is hard to justify selling one of your best players heading into the playoffs. You could "replace" but than that player has to drop into a league in midseason and its hard to acclimate in time to make up the difference.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
The problem with selling in the summer, is it is hard to justify selling one of your best players heading into the playoffs. You could "replace" but than that player has to drop into a league in midseason and its hard to acclimate in time to make up the difference.

That's definitely a factor but most teams would make far more from selling a player of Harrison's caliber than making a deep run in the playoffs, money will always win out.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Zlatan coming to the Galaxy it seems.
I'm actually very surprised by this. If I remember right, Ola Kamara has a pretty big contract so paying two starting strikers when they already have such a great front line makes no sense. Obviously you need some cover but there are plenty of cheaper players that can provide that. Unless they are planning on playing a 3-5-2, which even then doesn't make sense. It seems that they are just getting a bunch of high profile players and going to throw them together and see what happens.

Zlatan-Kamara
Dos Santos-Alessandrini-Dos Santos-Lleget
Kitchen
Steres-Feltscher-Cole?

Looks great offensively but they're letting in a crap ton of goals.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
I'm actually very surprised by this. If I remember right, Ola Kamara has a pretty big contract so paying two starting strikers when they already have such a great front line makes no sense. Obviously you need some cover but there are plenty of cheaper players that can provide that. Unless they are planning on playing a 3-5-2, which even then doesn't make sense. It seems that they are just getting a bunch of high profile players and going to throw them together and see what happens.

Zlatan-Kamara
Dos Santos-Alessandrini-Dos Santos-Lleget
Kitchen
Steres-Feltscher-Cole?

Looks great offensively but they're letting in a crap ton of goals.

Unfortunately, I think Lletget takes a seat, at least from the onset. He'll be the first one to start when Zlatan inevitably needs some games off or anyone else gets hurt, but I think we see this front 6 from the start:

Zlatan-Kamara
Ale-------GDS
-----Jona-----
----Kitchen---

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Zlatan's personality will be terrific for MLS. Forget his on field ability alone, which I still think he has something left to offer for LA.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
A one legged Ibra would've been better than Zardes last season. I'm not sure how we'd be able to fit him into the lineup, much less actually make the deal go through as he'd probably be the highest paid player in the league. But if the deal goes through we'd most likely pair him up top with Kamara. We traded one of our faces of the franchise and local hero in Zardes for Kamara so he's going to play. Its just everywhere else is where things get interesting. Allessandrini and both Dos Santos brothers are going to play, Kitchen is likely to play as well.

So we could see
Ibra-Kamara
Allesandrini-Kitchen-J. DS- G. DS.

The issue that I see is that this would require Gio to be relied upon defensively a bit more which is not something I want to do. I feel Gio would be better higher up the field and just rely on Jonathan and Kitchen as the midfield. I'm not sure about this. I'd welcome Ibra easily as he would be the one of the best players in the league when healthy, but saying that its hard to slot him in and keep all our best players on the field at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad