OT: MLB Thread XVI: It's football season!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
If this is the market for Chapman what is the market for Miller? If the Yankees can get MORE for Miller they should pull the trigger and not look back. I could care less if he is signed for two more years, I could care less the Yankees are playing fairly well. This Yankee team is going nowhere. For 10 years all we heard was the Yankees could never replace Riveria. It took them no time to do so. They can replace Chapman and Miller. Saving relievers is crazy. Trade Miller, make Betances the closer and build the bullpen back up in the offseason.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Age isn't an issue, it's paying a guy $15 mill a year who pitches 1 inning at a time and 70-90 innings a year. You don't really get bang for buck with closers.

I'm a big believer in drafting pitchers and then those who fail as starters you convert them into relievers. Betances being a prime example.

A luxury big market teams can afford.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
If this is the market for Chapman what is the market for Miller? If the Yankees can get MORE for Miller they should pull the trigger and not look back. I could care less if he is signed for two more years, I could care less the Yankees are playing fairly well. This Yankee team is going nowhere. For 10 years all we heard was the Yankees could never replace Riveria. It took them no time to do so. They can replace Chapman and Miller. Saving relievers is crazy. Trade Miller, make Betances the closer and build the bullpen back up in the offseason.

100% agreed. In fact, I'd trade damn near everyone I could.

Here's the Yankees roster as of right now:

68 Dellin Betances
50 Richard Bleier
54 Aroldis Chapman
30 Nathan Eovaldi
39 Chad Green
48 Andrew Miller
47 Ivan Nova
35 Michael Pineda
52 CC Sabathia
45 Chasen Shreve
43 Anthony Swarzak
19 Masahiro Tanaka

Catchers
34 Brian McCann
27 Austin Romine

Infield
14 Starlin Castro
18 Didi Gregorius
12 Chase Headley
38 Rob Refsnyder
25 Mark Teixeira
17 Ronald Torreyes

Outfield
36 Carlos Beltran
22 Jacoby Ellsbury
11 Brett Gardner
31 Aaron Hicks

Designated Hitters
13 Alex Rodriguez

There are exactly TWO players on that roster who should not be made available for the right price: Betances and Tanaka.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
The thing with Miller is that he is owed 18 mill after this season. That does turn off some teams. Trading for a pending free agent for an acquiring team means they only pay portion of the salary. I'm not sold that Miller would fetch a bigger return right now. This time next season he very well could.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The thing with Miller is that he is owed 18 mill after this season. That does turn off some teams. Trading for a pending free agent for an acquiring team means they only pay portion of the salary. I'm not sold that Miller would fetch a bigger return right now. This time next season he very well could.

It's over two years. $9M per

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
Not sure why you wouldn't move Tanaka. Isn't his elbow basically close to a full tear?

Miller would get more than 9 mill on the open market. His contract helps his value more than hurts it.

Boss making sense. Who would've thunk it?

Would definitely be open to moving Tanaka, but sure as **** wouldn't just give him away. No problem keeping him, but he's far from untouchable to me.

Miller's amazing contract is what makes trading him so potentially enticing. He'd get a lot more on the open market. Any contender in the league, big market or small, would love to add him right now. Would hope for a better return than what Chapman got, which was amazing.

Would also love to resign Chapman and continue trading him for prospects until we contend again. Good plan :)

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
Does Tanaka have a no trade clause? If so I doubt he waives it but I think he is opting out after next season so who knows.

The Yankees can set themselves up nicely by trading relievers. That is something they have to take advantage of.

Miller is a bargain at 9m a year. What team in contention would think that is too much money? He would get way more than that on the open market. If anything that contract opens up Miller for more teams to be involved. Teams that normally wouldn't have a shot at a quality closer as a free agent. It's why the Yankees are demanding a ton for Miller. Is it a risk? Sure because Miller does have an injury history.

I'm glad Hal signed off on this trade. He should sign off on a full rebuild.

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
100% agreed. In fact, I'd trade damn near everyone I could.

Here's the Yankees roster as of right now:

68 Dellin Betances
50 Richard Bleier
54 Aroldis Chapman
30 Nathan Eovaldi
39 Chad Green
48 Andrew Miller
47 Ivan Nova
35 Michael Pineda
52 CC Sabathia
45 Chasen Shreve
43 Anthony Swarzak
19 Masahiro Tanaka

Catchers
34 Brian McCann
27 Austin Romine

Infield
14 Starlin Castro
18 Didi Gregorius
12 Chase Headley
38 Rob Refsnyder
25 Mark Teixeira
17 Ronald Torreyes

Outfield
36 Carlos Beltran
22 Jacoby Ellsbury
11 Brett Gardner
31 Aaron Hicks

Designated Hitters
13 Alex Rodriguez

There are exactly TWO players on that roster who should not be made available for the right price: Betances and Tanaka.

Does McCann have trade value?

Does Romaine have trade value?

Is a contending team in love with Pineda? (Teams love power arms in the playoffs)

Does Eovaldi have trade value?

Does Texiera waive his no trade clause on AUGUST 31st to go to a contender for Septemeber and the playoffs?

What can the Yankees get for Beltran? Is it possible the Yankees would qualify Beltran and think the value is equivalent to a 1st round pick?

Does Gardner have trade value?

Looking at the roster I wouldn't trade Castro or Didi. I would trade Tanaka, I would even trade Betances if I got blown away.

Blueblood9

Dec 11, 2011
Nashville, TN
Does McCann have trade value?

Does Romaine have trade value?
Some value probably a decent prospect nothing like Torres

Is a contending team in love with Pineda? (Teams love power arms in the playoffs)
I can see a team try to get him as an extra starter for the playoff push to bolster the rotation

Does Eovaldi have trade value?
Pit is rumored to want him badly

Does Texiera waive his no trade clause on AUGUST 31st to go to a contender for Septemeber and the playoffs?
He has 0 I repeat 0 value

What can the Yankees get for Beltran? Is it possible the Yankees would qualify Beltran and think the value is equivalent to a 1st round pick?
Beltran can get a decent return

Does Gardner have trade value?

Looking at the roster I wouldn't trade Castro or Didi. I would trade Tanaka, I would even trade Betances if I got blown away.

I was on the fence about Castro and Didi id lean more to keeping Castro and trading Didi but they will both stay

darko

Feb 16, 2009
IMO Beltran is priority #1. He is a free agent after this season and has raked. Can't just let him walk for nothing. Beltran can fetch a good prospect.

Everyone else can kinda wait, whether it's now or offseason or next deadline. Keeping Beltran and then letting him walk is bad asset management.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Hal is waiting to see how the Yankees play this week before commiting to more trades. Cashman and the baseball operations want to sell. ⚾

While it hurts to see a team I love lose, lets hope Astros destroy us.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Gonna have to disagree here, I think Miller has way more value than Chapman.

Which is scary on its own.

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
While it hurts to see a team I love lose, lets hope Astros destroy us.
True that, funny I've had time the watch the last couple games which sucked because I want to watch them win but really we need them to loose.

I think Miller has more value than Chapman, not dying to move him but it someone blows our doors off cashmans gotta pull the trigger. Imo we really need starting pitching prospects, what do we have 4 or 5 top 50 position prospects now?

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA

agreed.

trade miller, beltran, and everything else that isnt bolted down. yankees desperately need a major rebuild. keep guys 24 and under. rebuild.

2Leetch_94

Kreid Me A River
Sep 16, 2005
New Jersey
Hal needs to get his head out of the clouds. This team isn't making some miracle postseason run by sneaking into the playoffs. It'll be a repeat of last year, one and done as the offense gets shutdown by another team's ace.

Rebuild the farm, and SELL. The only people that don't seem to grasp this is Randy Levine and Hal Steinbrenner. If the price the Cubs just paid for three months of Chapman doesn't convince them, I'm not sure what will. Don't let this seller's market go by. Take advantage of it. Maybe MLB can do the Yankees' a solid and suspend Hal for a couple years?

darko

Feb 16, 2009
True that, funny I've had time the watch the last couple games which sucked because I want to watch them win but really we need them to loose.

I think Miller has more value than Chapman, not dying to move him but it someone blows our doors off cashmans gotta pull the trigger. Imo we really need starting pitching prospects, what do we have 4 or 5 top 50 position prospects now?

4. Torres, Mateo, Judge, Sanchez.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad