Mitchell Miller to Ak Bars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Do you have kids? Were you ever bullied or abused?

I was bullied pretty bad in Middle School. By 14, I started hitting the gym, and by 16, my tormentors knew not to mess with me. However, I forgave the ones that did make my life miserable from ages 10-15. There is something inherently wrong with not being able to forgive, especially if one's tormentors are punished legally.

If you do have kids or have been bullied or abused, you'd be outraged at Miller's conduct, both pertaining to the individual he abused for years, and his lack of remorse in the years since.

Mitchell Miller is not someone who is worth defending. He found out the hard way that being an asshole has real consequences. Maybe someday you will too.

When it comes to Mitchell Miller, if you think he's so great, go to Kazan and cheer for him there. The climate is probably better than Winnipeg, anyway, and you'll probably find a lot of people with similar ideas there.
I'm willing to bet that if bullies were not allowed to play in the NHL, no team would be able to field a roster at any given time this season.

Reactions: T1K

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
I was bullied pretty bad in Middle School. By 14, I started hitting the gym, and by 16, my tormentors knew not to mess with me. However, I forgave the ones that did make my life miserable from ages 10-15. There is something inherently wrong with not being able to forgive, especially if one's tormentors are punished legally.

I'm willing to bet that if bullies were not allowed to play in the NHL, no team would be able to field a roster at any given time this season.

I'm perfectly able to give forgiveness.

But Mr. Miller has been legally found to have shown no remorse.

No remorse, no forgiveness.

If he can't realize that his actions were wrong, why should anyone forgive him? Why should someone who is unrepentant be given a second chance?

Simply because he's talented?

Reactions: Jussi

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
So he played 18:11 (4th amongst defenders on Ak Bars) in his first game, and no points and no + or -. Still his team won the game so he should be happy.

They even interviewed him after the game. As to fans, they seemed to be ok with his game.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
So he played 18:11 (4th amongst defenders on Ak Bars) in his first game, and no points and no + or -. Still his team won the game so he should be happy.

They even interviewed him after the game. As to fans, they seemed to be ok with his game.
Excellent.

I look forward to hearing more about Miller. I'm hoping he can rise above all the persecution he has been receiving.

• Haha
Reactions: Bocephus86

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
But Mr. Miller has been legally found to have shown no remorse.

No remorse, no forgiveness.

If he can't realize that his actions were wrong, why should anyone forgive him? Why should someone who is unrepentant be given a second chance?
You literally made all of that up. Only Miller himself can know if he has "remorse". He has paid his debt to society for actions he committed while he was a minor. As it stands now, there is a veto right of the victim and his family over his ability to sign an NHL contract. This not generally how justice is accomplished and even more bizarre in the case of an adult whose actions were committed as a minor. "Genuine remorse" (in the eyes of CrazyEddie20, who is apparently qualified to make these determinations over a person that he has never met) that somehow goes even further than the actual criminal punishment has never been a criteria in a Rule of Law country.

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
You literally made all of that up. Only Miller himself can know if he has "remorse". He has paid his debt to society for actions he committed while he was a minor. As it stands now, there is a veto right of the victim and his family over his ability to sign an NHL contract. This not generally how justice is accomplished and even more bizarre in the case of an adult whose actions were committed as a minor. "Genuine remorse" (in the eyes of CrazyEddie20, who is apparently qualified to make these determinations over a person that he has never met) that somehow goes even further than the actual criminal punishment has never been a criteria in a Rule of Law country.

The court literally said that he had shown genuine remorse.

That's a legal finding of fact. As a practicing lawyer, that's good enough for me.

And Mr. Miller not being able to play for an NHL organization isn't part of his legal punishment. It's an actual, tangible consequence of his bad actions.

Would I sign him if I were an NHL gm? Absolutely not.

But of course, RuZZia doesn't have any moral standards.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Would you not agree that at least the juvenile court judge was qualified to make that assessment?

Regardless, now he's in a country without rule of law so good for him I guess.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Would you not agree that at least the juvenile court judge was qualified to make that assessment?

Regardless, now he's in a country without rule of law so good for him I guess.
Well Miller did fairly well for the past 8 years inside a country with law, which ironically is longer than the victims father did!

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
If he becomes an elite KHL defensman he'll be able to earn up to $1.5M/yeah tax free, not bad compared to an average American, Canadian or anybody else. Still, NHL money is way better, and even more important, it's the league where the best players play. So I'm pretty sure his target is NHL. But right now KHL is the best option for him. Even long traveling helps to get prepared to NHL distances.
The NHL has the "best" players? I bet there are a lot of KHL players that could play in the NHL and a lot of NHL players that wouldn't be that great in the KHL

• Haha
Reactions: DaaaaB's

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
you should watch some KHL games its far better than the AHL that's for sure
Slightly better, not far better. It's also a larger ice surface, so some players will do better than they ahve in North America while others falter. I can see Mitch Miller becoming a top pairing D-man within a year. If he can survive the social lynch mob that has been after him for over three years and come out on top, that shows resilience and character.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Slightly better, not far better. It's also a larger ice surface, so some players will do better than they ahve in North America while others falter. I can see Mitch Miller becoming a top pairing D-man within a year. If he can survive the social lynch mob that has been after him for over three years and come out on top, that shows resilience and character.
Not all ice surfaces in the KHL are larger some have gone to the NHL 200 X 85 instead of the 200 X 100

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Watched him a bit today. He played 20:42 this time, second most amongst defensemen and 3rd most amongst Ak Bars players behind Voinov and Radulov only.

Still no points, but the team won the game 4-0, and he looked very solid densively so offense isn't his only talent.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
I still think its asinine he is being punished by the court of public opinion for something he did as a child to another child in middle school 8 years ago.

This just in, kids are stupid and cruel. but most grow out of it and don't get called on it for the rest of their lives.

This makes me feel like most of the folks who jumped on this bandwagon are folks who look and think like Jerrod from Eagle vs Shark LOL

Reactions: Jets4Life

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Each time he had the opportunity to address his baggage in a convincing way, yet chose to do nothing or at times even less than nothing. That's all on him and no one else. When he entered the draft hardly anyone had ever even heard of him, so there certainly wasn't any prejudice against him at that point.
You can’t convince the parent of a child to give forgiveness when their child is harmed in a horrific way.

I’m a parent and I wouldn’t ever forgive him or accept anything from him, in any form, as an apology because of what happened to my child. I could see a parent, because of this, being out to follow his career and life and try to destroy anything and everything he ever tried to build or grow from.

ANY and every apology he would ever make in his life, whether by court order, agent, whatever, I would see as nothing more than an attempt to not really apologize but just another attempt to play hockey. He could knock on my door, in tears and apologize from the heart and I wouldn't believe him. I would never believe him.

The bar he really has to meet for any chance to play in the NHL is the forgiveness of a parent and I would never give it to him.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Watched him a bit today. He played 20:42 this time, second most amongst defensemen and 3rd most amongst Ak Bars players behind Voinov and Radulov only.

Still no points, but the team won the game 4-0, and he looked very solid densively so offense isn't his only talent.

Well I did hear that Miller was projected to be drafted in the 1st round in 2020, if it was not for the 2016 conviction. So obviously the talent is there.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
You can’t convince the parent of a child to give forgiveness when their child is harmed in a horrific way.

I’m a parent and I wouldn’t ever forgive him or accept anything from him, in any form, as an apology because of what happened to my child. I could see a parent, because of this, being out to follow his career and life and try to destroy anything and everything he ever tried to build or grow from.

ANY and every apology he would ever make in his life, whether by court order, agent, whatever, I would see as nothing more than an attempt to not really apologize but just another attempt to play hockey. He could knock on my door, in tears and apologize from the heart and I wouldn't believe him. I would never believe him.

The bar he really has to meet for any chance to play in the NHL is the forgiveness of a parent and I would never give it to him.
Would you have forgiven McKie? He was believed, and I don't know what any vengeance could possibly achieve after that even if some sour feeling inevitably persists.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh

How has Barber looked? I saw he’s been scoring a bit

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin

I'm of the opposite view. If you really do have children, you'd know kids are products of their environment. No kid's moral compass is set in stone at 14. Growing into adulthood can change kids. Exposing them to different worldviews can have them do a 180*.
Quite often the children who are least deserving of sympathy are the ones who need it the most. Kids act out for a reason, especially teenagers.

Now the parents? That's different. I'd never, ever, forgive a parent like those Miller has.

Last edited:

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I'm of the opposite view. If you really do have children, you'd know kids are products of their environment. No kid's moral compass is set in stone at 14. Growing into adulthood can change kids. Exposing them to different worldviews can have them do a 180*.
Quite often the children who are least deserving of sympathy are the ones who need it the most. Kids act out for a reason, especially teenagers.

Now the parents? That's different. I'd never, ever, forgive a parent like those Miller has.

It's surprising that you call yourself a parent, yet you mention everyone else except the victim. What about him? He has to live his entire life with the pain he was subjected to. It's been enhanced because he's now a limited-purpose public person because of the news several times where he's had to relive it over and over again, including Miller wanting to be his friend to try to get himself into the league after getting renounced by both the Coyotes and the Bruins.

The victim has a name, by the way. it's Isaiah.

To hell with everyone else; what if Isaiah was YOUR child? It's easy to make excuses for folks when they're not your kin; how about making excuses for Miller if Isaiah was? I can't do that, not for anyone, if Isaiah was my child because that would be the worst kind of betrayal to him.

A child deserves a parent who puts them first and foremost and fights the battles for them that they can't or shouldn't have to. It's not about forgiveness for a bully but the resolve to help the victim heal and get past it. You can never get past some things; they stay with you forever, and Isaiah was a victim of that. I don't give a damn what Miller tries to do; what he NEEDS to do is ACCEPT the fact that he's hurt this young man and stand up to it, and he hasn't, and he won't.

You say all of this, and it's fine in a perfect world, but when I look at Miller, I don't see a man; I see a child still trying to get away with it, and I see a victim who can't and may never heal from it.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
You say all of this, and it's fine in a perfect world, but when I look at Miller, I don't see a man; I see a child still trying to get away with it, and I see a victim who can't and may never heal from it.
Have you ever spoken to him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad