Value of: Mitch Marner

mikemar1

Apr 24, 2012
I think they have to move on from Marner due to the flat cap. If they don't move out some cap they will be mired in mediocrity until they can rebuid and Mathews leaves

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
As a Jets fan I would love to see something around Connor for Marner (slight retention - 1.5M or so). Gives Leafs a better scorer at a cheaper price, gives Jets a top-tier passer and right-handed player to replace Wheeler who is bound to fall off a cliff soon. Both have been relative playoff choke-artists thus far.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Alexander Holtz and NJ’s first (~5th overall)
If Toronto uses the cap space to re-sign Hyman and pick up a Saad, Coleman or Palmeiri in FA this is what Dubas should be aiming for.

If cap needs to be worked around maybe include Wood or the rights to Ryan Murray and balance with picks.

Toronto drafts one of Power, Edvinsson, Clarke or Hughes at #4 whichever makes it there.

Last edited:

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Toronto fans: "Marner is overrated, can't drive the play on his own, doesn't show up in the playoffs, and his contract is horrible. We have to trade him."

Also Toronto fans: "looool at all of your offers. We need "A" prospects and 1sts back."

Pick one.

If a trade were really on the table (which I doubt), most GMs would be pretty up front with Dubas about seeing him as more of a Leafs cap dump than a value add for their team. Not to say it can't be both, but it absolutely is both, and emphasis needs to be placed on the cap circumstances around any Marner trade. His contract is laughable, the cap will be flat for likely another 4-5 years, and if he continues to put up similar 1.15 ppg production as he's basically done throughout his career so far, he's going to want a raise at the end of it when the cap is still barely higher than it is now.

I think the Leaf fans who want him to be traded need to be more realistic about what they'd get back. A combination of "B" prospects, middle six forwards, 2nd pairing dmen, and 2nd round picks are what you're looking at in a trade with 0% retained and no awful cap dumps going the other way.

If his contract were more in the Aho to Rantanen range, this would be an entirely different discussion. 11 million for a support winger (a really damn good one, but a support player nonetheless) is just completely insane in this climate though.
Your just flat out wrong, but love the confidence.

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
We'll be back here again next off season when Marner has extended his playoff streak to 25 games without a goal....

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
Marner is overpaid by a mill and is a 90 point player. Skinner is top 3 worst contract in the NHL.

Marner is over paid more than a mill. He plays with the best goal scoring center in the league. He’s soft and has a tough time scoring. I do believe he will find a way to be successful in the playoffs but as of now he’s overpaid by about 3.5 million

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Marner is over paid more than a mill. He plays with the best goal scoring center in the league. He’s soft and has a tough time scoring. I do believe he will find a way to be successful in the playoffs but as of now he’s overpaid by about 3.5 million
Marner is a superstar with or without matthews and has proven he can carry his own line in the regular season. Playoffs have been rough for him but he's still young. Marner should be making 9 to 9.5 million so hes 1.5 overpaid. Your statement that he is 3.5 mill overpaid is ridiculous.

Pietrangelo

Oct 26, 2015
Overpaid by 3.5million is a little bit of an exaggeration, but I don’t think you’re too far off. Hypothetically, if he was a UFA this off season, I would not be giving him 11m for the next 4 years. I would be looking closer to the 8.5/9m range.

He’s a great player, and I know 32 teams that would take him in a heart beat, but probably only about 3/4 teams could afford him at 11M and be successful at the same time. Leafs are not one of them.

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
Seattle still has some guys to sign from ED but will still have plenty of cap space; they also have 10 d-men. Does Francis make a move to get Marner?

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
Marner is a superstar with or without matthews and has proven he can carry his own line in the regular season. Playoffs have been rough for him but he's still young. Marner should be making 9 to 9.5 million so hes 1.5 overpaid. Your statement that he is 3.5 mill overpaid is ridiculous.

indont think I’m that far off yah he’s put up 90 points but goal scoring is at a premium in this league and he’s not very good at it. I think he’s an 8 million dollar forward. What’s he at 10.6? So yah 3.5 I agree is to much I’m comfortable saying 2.5 over paid tho

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Interesting that Marner has been paid 40.6M with this new contract...

...and he has scored 0 playoff goals under this contract. :amazed:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad