Value of: Mitch Marner

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Toronto fans: "Marner is overrated, can't drive the play on his own, doesn't show up in the playoffs, and his contract is horrible. We have to trade him."

Also Toronto fans: "looool at all of your offers. We need "A" prospects and 1sts back."

Pick one.

If a trade were really on the table (which I doubt), most GMs would be pretty up front with Dubas about seeing him as more of a Leafs cap dump than a value add for their team. Not to say it can't be both, but it absolutely is both, and emphasis needs to be placed on the cap circumstances around any Marner trade. His contract is laughable, the cap will be flat for likely another 4-5 years, and if he continues to put up similar 1.15 ppg production as he's basically done throughout his career so far, he's going to want a raise at the end of it when the cap is still barely higher than it is now.

I think the Leaf fans who want him to be traded need to be more realistic about what they'd get back. A combination of "B" prospects, middle six forwards, 2nd pairing dmen, and 2nd round picks are what you're looking at in a trade with 0% retained and no awful cap dumps going the other way.

If his contract were more in the Aho to Rantanen range, this would be an entirely different discussion. 11 million for a support winger (a really damn good one, but a support player nonetheless) is just completely insane in this climate though.

Reactions: SnapVirus

Paddys Pub

Jul 18, 2016
Port Coquitlam
I feel like Leafs and canucks might make a trade this off season. Both GMs will be on the hot seat. I dunno how to make it work but something like Marner for Boeser/Schmidt as the main pieces. I don’t know what else needs to get added around it. Don’t kill me just throwing something out there lol.
Absolutely not. Major no way.
Vancouver wants no part of that insanely overpaid playoff ghost.

elmaco

Registered Hockey Fan
Feb 1, 2017
Marner ($10.9m 5yr)

for

Komarov ($3.0m 2yr)
Eberle ($5.5m 4yr)
Isles 2021 2nd

Considering the contracts it's not completely crazy.

Trotz whips Mitch into shape and Leafs get what they now need for the locker room (and Eberle as top 6 winger).

Leafs get a couple mil immediate cap relief, more in two years. Fix the goaltending, don't really see any other glaring roster shortcomings.

From the Isles viewpoint Marner is overpaid, that's why only a 2nd rd pick added.

It's a little bit nutty but not bernmeister insane. Anyway didn't want to start the 139th Marner trade thread today...
This is atrocious for TOR.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Marner ($10.9m 5yr)

for

Komarov ($3.0m 2yr)
Eberle ($5.5m 4yr)
Isles 2021 2nd

Trotz whips Mitch into shape and Leafs get what they now need for the locker room (and Eberle as top 6 winger).

Leafs get a couple mil immediate cap relief, more in two years. Fix the goaltending, don't really see any other glaring roster shortcomings.

From the Isles viewpoint Marner is overpaid, that's why only a 2nd rd pick added.

It's a little bit nutty but not bernmeister insane. Anyway didn't want to start the 139th Marner trade thread today...
Holy. f***. If this is serious, its up there for worst proposal ive seen here.

How about, Spezza, Kerfoot, and our 2nd for Barzal?

iggy

Aug 2, 2005
Holy. f***. If this is serious, its up there for worst proposal ive seen here.

How about, Spezza, Kerfoot, and our 2nd for Barzal?
Toronto fans are delusional if they believe that they are going to get a mega package for Marner. Great young talent but 11 million cap hit is hindering his value. Unless Toronto retains he might get a decent player and some cap dumps.

Reactions: Stubu

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
What about a team that wants to reach the cap floor. Why would he only get traded to a team close to a cup? He could go to a middle of the pack team and maybe get that team into the playoffs. Lots of teams out there that don’t have one player even close to the talent of Marner.

Which team striving to reach the cap floor would make sense for Marner? I’m not doubting he’d get dealt for a nice package, but let’s not try to act like his contract is an asset either. Even if he’s worth the money, it’s going to involve salary cap gymnastics with most teams.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Toronto fans are delusional if they believe that they are going to get a mega package for Marner. Great young talent but 11 million cap hit is hindering his value. Unless Toronto retains he might get a decent player and some cap dumps.
never said anything about a "mega package". but it would sure as hell be more than Jordan Eberle and Leo Komarov lmao

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Marner ($10.9m 5yr)

for

Komarov ($3.0m 2yr)
Eberle ($5.5m 4yr)
Isles 2021 2nd

Leaf fan here who isn't that big on Marner right now, this is definitely completely crazy

RWatson29

Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
Marner ($10.9m 5yr)

for

Komarov ($3.0m 2yr)
Eberle ($5.5m 4yr)
Isles 2021 2nd

this is a joke, right?

Reactions: Sundinisagod

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I don’t care what people say. I rather have Pierre luc dubois on my team over marner. Playoffs for sure and if that means regular season also than so be it.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Marner ($10.9m 5yr)

for

Komarov ($3.0m 2yr)
Eberle ($5.5m 4yr)
Isles 2021 2nd

Marner may not have the biggest market because of his cap hit, but this deal gets completely smashed by another team even in a limited market

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Which team striving to reach the cap floor would make sense for Marner? I’m not doubting he’d get dealt for a nice package, but let’s not try to act like his contract is an asset either. Even if he’s worth the money, it’s going to involve salary cap gymnastics with most teams.
After the next Bonus is payed to Marner next months lots of teams looking to save money coming out of Covid would love a top 5 scorer with a 10.9 cap hit but only costs 6.2 per year in real money. Doesn’t really matter cause he’s not going anywhere but that’s a very appealing contract to any small market team

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Toronto fans: "Marner is overrated, can't drive the play on his own, doesn't show up in the playoffs, and his contract is horrible. We have to trade him."

Also Toronto fans: "looool at all of your offers. We need "A" prospects and 1sts back."

Pick one.

If a trade were really on the table (which I doubt), most GMs would be pretty up front with Dubas about seeing him as more of a Leafs cap dump than a value add for their team. Not to say it can't be both, but it absolutely is both, and emphasis needs to be placed on the cap circumstances around any Marner trade. His contract is laughable, the cap will be flat for likely another 4-5 years, and if he continues to put up similar 1.15 ppg production as he's basically done throughout his career so far, he's going to want a raise at the end of it when the cap is still barely higher than it is now.

I think the Leaf fans who want him to be traded need to be more realistic about what they'd get back. A combination of "B" prospects, middle six forwards, 2nd pairing dmen, and 2nd round picks are what you're looking at in a trade with 0% retained and no awful cap dumps going the other way.

If his contract were more in the Aho to Rantanen range, this would be an entirely different discussion. 11 million for a support winger (a really damn good one, but a support player nonetheless) is just completely insane in this climate though.
Leafs fans have picked. Not all of them see it the same way. If you want Leaf fans to be realistic about what they want, you have to be realistic about his value. Besides, at this point, it is the team that doesn't want to trade him. However, that could change with a realistic offer.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Marner ($10.9m 5yr)

for

Komarov ($3.0m 2yr)
Eberle ($5.5m 4yr)
Isles 2021 2nd

If that's what landed Marner, then I'd be pissed at Hextall for not easily beating that offer.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Lucky, it is not even close.
Just to be clear, I am in fact not a General Manager employed by a NHL franchise. I am a random tweeb posting on HFBoards. These convos do not end up affecting the actual player trades between NHL clubs one iota. In case there was some confusion.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Just to be clear, I am in fact not a General Manager employed by a NHL franchise. I am a random tweeb posting on HFBoards. These convos do not end up affecting the actual player trades between NHL clubs one iota. In case there was some confusion.
Of course not. Did someone tell you we do?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad