Value of: Mitch Marner

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
I don't know what his market is besides basically a straight up hockey trade, to be honest, and I don't know what that fit is if Toronto is looking for defense back.

Otherwise, I think it's a quantity trade and it's well under value

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Could give you 2021 1st round pick, Colin White and Drake Batherson.

That doesn't make sense for Ottawa, not unless Melnyk suddenly finds enough $$ to pay to the cap. Until then, Marner coming in means core pieces becoming unaffordable in a few years.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He's moveable for sure. One of the best offensive players in the game. That said, given his cap hit, I don't know that he lands Toronto the dominant #1D they've needed forever. It's not like teams are eager to give those away.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Not a Marner fan, but I think people are undervaluing a super skilled point per game winger

Marner has a lot of time and space in the regular season to pad his stats, which isn't available to him in the playoffs.

He's a Kessel type player you want on the 2nd or 3rd line with guys who can support him... but 11 mill caphit is a lot for that. The Penguins dumped Kessel after 92 and 82 point seasons, his caphit was only 6.8 mill

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Give the kid a chance to try to figure out his game in the playoffs. You need an elite player like him during the regular season to make it to the playoffs. I don’t understand why people want to move an elite winger with crap loads of skill. Yes he has sucked in the playoffs but he is still very young

Reactions: SwissButch

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Give the kid a chance to try to figure out his game in the playoffs. You need an elite player like him during the regular season to make it to the playoffs. I don’t understand why people want to move an elite winger with crap loads of skill. Yes he has sucked in the playoffs but he is still very young

Marner doesn't have a quick first step to get ahead on a play in the playoffs. That's why he ends up pulling up so much looking for a trailer or being forced to stick handle into a corner. Either Marner needs to get quicker or he needs to reinvent his game by slowing the play down and strengthening his core to hold players off the puck. Best case scenario is he gets quicker so he can get in and out of areas quickly, giving his linemates time to open up for plays.

Reactions: Trojans86

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Marner is a great player, he took one stupid penalty yesterday but overall he can do everything : great offesnive IQ, good defensive IQ (even played on the PK), great skater. He seems to have less of an impact in the playoffs but don t forget Tavares is injured, i.e. Keefe cannot switch lines as he could have with him.
Not a leafs fan, but I would not trade hum and my guess is Dubas would not either except in an attempt to redistribute his cap structure.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
He's movable, but it's challenging to say how much. His contract might be a problem in a flat cap environment.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
I think if he goes it will be for smaller smaller cap space for cap distribution purposes but once again, I don t really the see the point of trading this elite guy, except for cap purposes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad