Mitch Marner "Star" Poll: 2018 Edition

Is Marner Going To Be A Star

• Total voters

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
He was a star last season? 60+ pts rookie is a star, just as any 60pts player is a star player.

The question would really be.. Is he a super-star? A super star would be in the PPG category and he looks like he could be become that down the line for sure.

PPG is a poor metric imo. I certainly don't think Mitch is a super star, not even close yet, but there are several factors.
John Tavares is a super star, Josh Bailey is not.
Look up at the 142 game post, it tells you something more valuable than points. Mins played.
Marner (2325:55) 114
Eichel (2763:56) 113 (+438 mins)
Hall (2618:14) 111 (+292 mins)

Marner plays on average about 16min a game. Factor that in. It would be like Marner getting another 27+ games of Eichel, and 18+ games on Hall.
Plus, unlike other teams, we don't stack 1:30 PPs with our best players.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
That's the funny thing about this whole season. In the summer after an outstanding rookie season, there was silence. Suddenly, he starts slow in 2017 (and Barzal comes out of the gate screaming) and I've got posters changing names, adding second accounts, sending me direct messages, posting messages with cherry picked game logs.

Now its silent again.

People are weird about player evaluations in general. I criticized him myself but only based on his inability to make simple plays at the start of the season. I never said he sucked or should be trade, actually always said he could end up the best of the 3 but people take some protective stances, while others take the stance that he is crap and do as you said (trolling). I am certainly not some Guru, but I am also certainly not quite a complete moron, yet.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
The ones you have to point it out to aren't reading these threads now, so I wouldn't worry about it.
They are reading them as I have seen two of them listed as reading this thread this morning. One in particular was the one who stated that Marner would never score 20 goals again hence my post.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I got roasted for this but I still maintain he might end up the 2nd best player of his draft

I was roasted for this as well, and completely agree.

Were you guys really roasted? I think many of us felt this way. I still wonder sometimes what would have happened had we had the 2nd pick that year.

That's the funny thing about this whole season. In the summer after an outstanding rookie season, there was silence. Suddenly, he starts slow in 2017 (and Barzal comes out of the gate screaming) and I've got posters changing names, adding second accounts, sending me direct messages, posting messages with cherry picked game logs.

Now its silent again.

LMAO.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
PPG is a poor metric imo. I certainly don't think Mitch is a super star, not even close yet, but there are several factors.
John Tavares is a super star, Josh Bailey is not.
Look up at the 142 game post, it tells you something more valuable than points. Mins played.
Marner (2325:55) 114
Eichel (2763:56) 113 (+438 mins)
Hall (2618:14) 111 (+292 mins)

Marner plays on average about 16min a game. Factor that in. It would be like Marner getting another 27+ games of Eichel, and 18+ games on Hall.
Plus, unlike other teams, we don't stack 1:30 PPs with our best players.

A great example using Points per min
Conor McDavid = 0.0557
Mitch Marner = 0.0514
Auston Matthews = 0.0515

It's hard on the Leafs to put up those All Star numbers when they don't get to see that All Star ice time.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
A great example using Points per min
Conor McDavid = 0.0557
Mitch Marner = 0.0514
Auston Matthews = 0.0515

It's hard on the Leafs to put up those All Star numbers when they don't get to see that All Star ice time.

I like this, good way to break it down. Where does Nylander stand?

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I have been thinking a lot about whether or not Babcock giving Marner tough love (and crushing his confidence) actually helped...

What would Marner's season look like now if Babcock had just given Mitch a long leash like he does with the vets? Thoughts?

I think you're giving Babcock a little too much credit there. Babcock was behind everyone on putting Marner with Kadri. He's very Julien like with his lineups and he rarely ever changes his lineups when the squad is healthy. He didn't deviate from Komarov and Kadri pairing despite all the evidence pointing towards Komarov declining. Kadri and Komarov should never have played on the same line this season. He's a 4th liner now.

Problem with Babcock is that he's sometimes so focused on matching Kadri with other top lines that he forgets that he's also got three players who can be headaches to match against. I've seen Komarov play 22-24 mins for the Leafs while Nylander and Marner played 13 minutes. Absolutely crazy stuff.

Up until very recently, Komarov was also playing a bit on the PP with Matthews and Nylander. He can't score on ES or the PP. If Kadri and Marner are playing together from the beginning of the season, we likely have a couple more wins and Kadri and Marner have a couple more points.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I think you're giving Babcock a little too much credit there. Babcock was behind everyone on putting Marner with Kadri. He's very Julien like with his lineups and he rarely ever changes his lineups when the squad is healthy. He didn't deviate from Komarov and Kadri pairing despite all the evidence pointing towards Komarov declining. Kadri and Komarov should never have played on the same line this season. He's a 4th liner now.

Problem with Babcock is that he's sometimes so focused on matching Kadri with other top lines that he forgets that he's also got three players who can be headaches to match against. I've seen Komarov play 22-24 mins for the Leafs while Nylander and Marner played 13 minutes. Absolutely crazy stuff.

If Kadri and Marner are playing together from the beginning of the season, we likely have a couple more wins and Kadri and Marner have a couple more points.
Babcock was trying out Kadri and Marner last season and didn't like how they were together apparently. I think the "demotions" have been well received by Nylander and Marner this season.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Babcock was trying out Kadri and Marner last season and didn't like how they were together apparently. I think the "demotions" have been well received by Nylander and Marner this season.
Which is odd considering the 2 games they played together, they lit up the Avs and Coyotes.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

Just because Nylander and Marner do well after demotions doesn't mean that they were justified.

Kadri and Marner weren't tried for very long. Kadri/Komarov persisted despite Kadri going on a long drought and receiving no support from his wingers. Marner was only supposed to be on his wing at home but he played so well that Babcock had no choice but to finally demote Komarov.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
I like this, good way to break it down. Where does Nylander stand?

Not as great, but he has been in a bit of a slump while Marner been on fire. A month ago it would be much better for Willy.

Barzal is doing 0.062 which is Crazy, and by estimation, the best in the NHL.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Not as great, but he has been in a bit of a slump while Marner been on fire. A month ago it would be much better for Willy.

Barzal is doing 0.062 which is Crazy, and by estimation, the best in the NHL.

Barzal is going to drop next year without a doubt.

I remember when Kadri exploded with 44 points in 48 games in the lockout season when he was ~21 years old, he was actually producing points at a way better rate than Crosby per min and there were plenty of articles that stated the obvious. It wasn't going to last.

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
22 points in his last 18 games for Marner
20 points in Kadri's last 18 games

I really like Marner and Kadri as a combo and I hope it becomes a thing moving forward

Makes us so much stronger to have 2 1st lines in the playoffs

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Were you guys really roasted? I think many of us felt this way. I still wonder sometimes what would have happened had we had the 2nd pick that year.

LMAO.

I should have specified. I wasn't roasted on our boards, but on the mains in the redrafts and such, because I think Marner will be the better piece than Eichel was all said and done and had him ranked 2nd.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I should have specified. I wasn't roasted on our boards, but on the mains in the redrafts and such, because I think Marner will be the better piece than Eichel was all said and done and had him ranked 2nd.
I said the same before the draft and some of the regular deep thinkers on this board didn't like it.

Reactions: diceman934

Muggs

Oct 29, 2016
So far mighty Mitch has been much more durable then Matthews.

His offensive potential is greater then anyone on the team. If he was paired with Kadri from the start, he'd have at least 15 more points in the bag.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
He's going to be exactly like Patrick Kane. Put him with decent players and he's a consistent 70-80 point guy, but at his peak if you give him an elite player beside, he'll have that 100 point potential that Kane showed when they finally put talent beside him. You play Marner with Kadri all season and he probably is top 10 in scoring right now. If he continues on his current 1.22 PPG pace since moving to that line, he will finish with 74 points this season. That's insane given his ice time, line mates, PP going stale etc. And from what I have seen, his numbers are completely sustainable.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I wonder sometimes about how much fresher our players getting less ice time per game regular season are going to be come playoffs!!!

I am not against keeping Matthews out for the entire month of March if he has a reoccurring injury presently. He wore out last season he explained in the summer. This might be a good body break for him right now.

Nobody is worried about our making the playoffs i assume....

Rolling 4 lines is Babcocks calling card if he has the right players. We can do this now. I can't see oyr core guys getting over used going forward.

I like this less ice time deal because of my beliefs on how far we can go in the playoffs. If we cut down the shots in high danger areas and overall we can beat anyone.

Andersen can and will likely win games for us single handedly. Keeping our players fresher over the long haul might be important innthe playoffs.

If it actually works that playing less keeps guys fresher?????? I'm not sure it does.

Our guys are good and less minutes played over other stars bothers me less all the time now.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

I don't ever go on the main board. Nothing but a bunch of ...........!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad