Mitch Marner "Star" Poll: 2018 Edition

Is Marner Going To Be A Star

• Total voters

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
gonna end up with a massive contract at this rate.

I don't really see what argument he has for much more than 6 per right now. Even if he keeps up his pace this season, he's still going to be in tough arguing that he deserves more than Pastrnak.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
22 points in his last 18 games for Marner
20 points in Kadri's last 18 games

I really like Marner and Kadri as a combo and I hope it becomes a thing moving forward

Makes us so much stronger to have 2 1st lines in the playoffs
The crazy thing about these 2 being hot is that Marleau has been cold. He hasn't looked good lately at all. Hopefully not a sign of things to come so soon.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
The crazy thing about these 2 being hot is that Marleau has been cold. He hasn't looked good lately at all. Hopefully not a sign of things to come so soon.
He really has been a passenger on that line for the most part.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
After watching the last couple of games, Marner has fed him some beauty chances and he just cannot bury them. All I can envision is that being Matthews instead, and him scoring a crazy amount of goals after being fed by Marner. :pout:

Reactions: Leafsfan13

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
After watching the last couple of games, Marner has fed him some beauty chances and he just cannot bury them. All I can envision is that being Matthews instead, and him scoring a crazy amount of goals after being fed by Marner. :pout:
That third year on that contract is going to bite us, and I can't help but think that is JVR's money right there. It looks like father time is working here, hope I'm wrong, but Marleau had a hot start, and hasn't done much since. He's getting some points now, but really they are passenger points, Kadri and Marner are driving the bus.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I don't really see what argument he has for much more than 6 per right now. Even if he keeps up his pace this season, he's still going to be in tough arguing that he deserves more than Pastrnak.

They are going to get far more than Pasternak. Just based on the 6m bump in cap. If anything I see us handing out bridge deals, for sure with Nylander.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
They are going to get far more than Pasternak. Just based on the 6m bump in cap. If anything I see us handing out bridge deals, for sure with Nylander.
I think cap % is a decent indicator of comparing one contract to another.

Pastrnak got 6,666,666 for 6 years (What is wrong with him? haha)
that was 8.89% of the cap when he signed.

If the cap rises to 80m next year, maybe it rises to 83m the year after?
8.89% of 83m is 7.38m.

Maybe it jumps up to 7.5m if he gets into the PPG territory. Then again, I think Nylander's contract that he gets after this season could be a indicator as to what he should be making.

The cap next year is around 80m, 8.89% of that is 7.1. I could definitely see Nylander getting 7m a year for a long term contract in the summer. Maybe they give Marner the same contract even when the cap goes up the year after.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
59222648-1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
66173653-5
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Oh oh, Mitch is starting to pull away from the guy that is supposed to be better, but can never have a better season (Aho).

Reactions: stickty111

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
59222648-1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
66173653-5
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Oh oh, Mitch is starting to pull away from the guy that is supposed to be better, but can never have a better season (Aho).

And the other guy people say is supposed to be better. (Ehlers)

[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008

I don't see Lou doing that, just because the cap went up doesn't mean we give the money away...we still have to build a sustainable team.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
59222648-1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
66173653-5
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
That comparison was so laughable, a "tell" really. Perhaps a more realistic discussion, Marner or Eichel?

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

In fairness, when Kadri was going 1 for 20, Marleau was producing around his PPG pace with 8 points over that time frame.

Sometimes you drive. Sometimes you sit in the passenger seat.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
59222648-1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
66173653-5
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Seriously? Main boards are hilarious. Aho is a good top six player but he's not nothing at all on Marner. In the very near future, it's very likely that Marner will have more assists than Aho has points.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
In fairness, when Kadri was going 1 for 20, Marleau was producing around his PPG pace with 8 points over that time frame.

Sometimes you drive. Sometimes you sit in the passenger seat.

It's not enough that your nonsense got the Kadri thread locked up, now you have to wade into other threads to remind of us that Kadri had a slump earlier this season? Sad stuff.

And Marner is a star already in my books. Of course "star" is a subjective term so pointless discussion really.

Last edited:

Albi34

Feb 14, 2010
That third year on that contract is going to bite us, and I can't help but think that is JVR's money right there. It looks like father time is working here, hope I'm wrong, but Marleau had a hot start, and hasn't done much since. He's getting some points now, but really they are passenger points, Kadri and Marner are driving the bus.

The encouraging thing is that Marleau has been getting himself lots of chances to score, his shot has just been missing. I'd be more concerned if he was invisible on the line but that's not the case. He's all over the net just can't bury it right now.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Nylander with a 60 pt season can’t ask for more than 6-6.5 depending on length. Everyone keeps going on about the cap going up but last projection is 79 million.
That’s like a 350k bump.

So that would be 7x 6 for a much higher performing player in pasta. And a 6.3 for a similar player in ehlers.

I’m still betting on 6.25 for both if Marner signs this year

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Nylander with a 60 pt season can’t ask for more than 6-6.5 depending on length. Everyone keeps going on about the cap going up but last projection is 79 million.
That’s like a 350k bump.

So that would be 7x 6 for a much higher performing player in pasta. And a 6.3 for a similar player in ehlers.

I’m still betting on 6.25 for both if Marner signs this year
Agree, not much more than 6 for both, bet their deals are almost identical.

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?

Numbers looking similar(so far). Actually think Marner will be better than Kane at this point.

Admittedly I didnt watch enough Hawks back then (mostly when they played the wings). Marner has just been so dominant the last 2-3 weeks.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
It's not enough that your nonsense got the Kadri thread locked up, now you have to wade into other threads to remind of us that Kadri had a slump earlier this season? Sad stuff.

And Marner is a star already in my books. Of course "star" is a subjective term so pointless discussion really.

You don’t like facts eh?

The point and counterpoint to Marleau being a passenger on the line.

You are too emotional about this issue. Calm down and we can have a discussion instead of one of your “discussions”.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->