Mitch Marner "Star" Poll: 2018 Edition

Is Marner Going To Be A Star

• Total voters

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
In the last Marner thread I said when he had 3 goals. A poster said he would never score 20 goals again and I said he will for sure and most likely this year. I also said Marner will lead the Leafs in points now I meant when both Mathews and Marner are healthy but he is going to do so this year.

As well I said that Marner will likely lead the NHL in assist at one point in his NHL Career as his on ice is vision is beyond good.

I never vote in these things.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
In the last Marner thread I said when he had 3 goals. A poster said he would never score 20 goals again and I said he will for sure and most likely this year. I also said Marner will lead the Leafs in points now I meant when both Mathews and Marner are healthy but he is going to do so this year.

As well I said that Marner will likely lead the NHL in assist at one point in his NHL Career as his on ice is vision is beyond good.

I never vote in these things.
I vote you for the most humble poster.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS

Slanted a bit because I think every other player played in their 18 year old season and Marner did not, which would likely have brought is total down since you would assume he would do worse in his 18 season. Still impressive though and nice to see. Also, why isn't Matthews on the list? 135 GP, 119 pts.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Slanted a bit because I think every other player played in their 18 year old season and Marner did not, which would likely have brought is total down since you would assume he would do worse in his 18 season. Still impressive though and nice to see. Also, why isn't Matthews on the list? 135 GP, 119 pts.

Snapshot at 142 games. Matthews hasn't played that many games.

Yes all the other did play right out of the draft but thats fairly common for ~1st overall picks whether they are ready or not (RNH, Hischier, Yakupov etc).

Marner's expected point totals in his 18 year old season had he played for the Leafs would have been around what Hischier is doing right now. Probably better given he was a much better CHL player than Hischier in his draft year.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
I always have to remind people that Marner is only 4 months older than Matthews. They are the same age.
I love that our big 3 are so different. Marner is the best play maker is Willy close second. Willy is the best skater with Marner a close second. Matthews has the best shot, with Willy second.
Great mix.
I still can't take the Marner haters from last year serious, even though some changed. They tainted my opinions on them. I swear some "fans" wish for the destruction of the Leafs, almost prying that Mitch or Willy craps the bed in their careers.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I always have to remind people that Marner is only 4 months older than Matthews. They are the same age.
I love that our big 3 are so different. Marner is the best play maker is Willy close second. Willy is the best skater with Marner a close second. Matthews has the best shot, with Willy second.
Great mix.
I still can't take the Marner haters from last year serious, even though some changed. They tainted my opinions on them. I swear some "fans" wish for the destruction of the Leafs, almost prying that Mitch or Willy craps the bed in their careers.

Matthews, Nylander and Marner are like a Venn Diagram.

In the middle is Nylander who is 50/50 shoot/pass. On one side is Matthews who loves to score goals from all areas, and on the other side is Marner who is 60/40 pass/shoot but that is changing. Marner is definitely shooting more now and he should because he's got such a sneaky shot and he can just slow down and create so much space for his linemates.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Same here.

He follows a similar trajectory in scoring every year, at every level. He's cold at first but watch out once he gets going. Guy is already a star!

Yep. I’m not sure why this is the case. Like Freddy in October? Is it cause he keeps adding weight and takes time to get used to it?

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I got roasted for this but I still maintain he might end up the 2nd best player of his draft

Yeah there is a possibility of that. I'd still prefer Eichel because he's a center. He's a good player on a bad team.

If Marner is making 6-6.5M and Eichel is making 10, it's a no brainer. You choose Marner.

Trading him is out of the question though. Players with his production at his age are usually all superstars.

Once

Jul 16, 2010
Yep. I’m not sure why this is the case. Like Freddy in October? Is it cause he keeps adding weight and takes time to get used to it?

I think there is something to be said about Mitch's confidence when he's off but also simply getting into a routine. I don't think the trend will continue as he matures, at least I hope.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I think there is something to be said about Mitch's confidence when he's off but also simply getting into a routine. I don't think the trend will continue as he matures, at least I hope.

It’s just odd in all junior years and this year same thing. Just bad to start. Not sure why his confidence would be bad after a 130pt junior season coming back to d1 after a strong leaf camp. Or why he would lack confidence after being amazing in WHC?

I think he is always the small skinny kid so he tries to put on weight and takes a while to get comfortable

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
He has always had confidence issues. This goes way back. It's because he wants to always be great, and when he isn't, he gets frustrated, which leads to a kind of snowball effect of him trying too hard. Leading to stupid mistakes.
As others said, I think age will fix this.
As for the slow starts, I dunno, it's either just fluky it works out like that for the last 5 years, or it's his thing. No idea why, but his slow starts are pretty consistent going back to the Knights.
Last year was a pretty good start. He played great the first 10 games before dropping off.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I vote you for the most humble poster.
Well at times it is good to post that you were correct as it makes the ones with the poor opinions think twice about post nonsense.

Now as far as your attack on me goes. Either post a relevant on topic opinion or keep your personal attacks to your self.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
He was a star last season? 60+ pts rookie is a star, just as any 60pts player is a star player.

The question would really be.. Is he a super-star? A super star would be in the PPG category and he looks like he could be become that down the line for sure.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Marner putting up between 60 to 70 pts per season with 20 goals and 40 or 50 assists consistently is fathomable.

He is looking like some seasons he will be putting up higher totals than that.

The sky is the limit on him but a couple years from now he should be a great 2 way winger thats a little stronger.

His size does not effect his defensive game already because he knows good defensive position on puck battles for the most part.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
He was a star last season? 60+ pts rookie is a star, just as any 60pts player is a star player.

The question would really be.. Is he a super-star? A super star would be in the PPG category and he looks like he could be become that down the line for sure.

That's the funny thing about this whole season. In the summer after an outstanding rookie season, there was silence. Suddenly, he starts slow in 2017 (and Barzal comes out of the gate screaming) and I've got posters changing names, adding second accounts, sending me direct messages, posting messages with cherry picked game logs.

Now its silent again.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Well at times it is good to post that you were correct as it makes the ones with the poor opinions think twice about post nonsense.

Now as far as your attack on me goes. Either post a relevant on topic opinion or keep your personal attacks to your self.
The ones you have to point it out to aren't reading these threads now, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Beyonder91

RASMUS
Oct 13, 2006
Toronto
I have been thinking a lot about whether or not Babcock giving Marner tough love (and crushing his confidence) actually helped...

What would Marner's season look like now if Babcock had just given Mitch a long leash like he does with the vets? Thoughts?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
That's the funny thing about this whole season. In the summer after an outstanding rookie season, there was silence. Suddenly, he starts slow in 2017 (and Barzal comes out of the gate screaming) and I've got posters changing names, adding second accounts, sending me direct messages, posting messages with cherry picked game logs.

Now its silent again.
Silence is deafening !

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad