Value of: Mitch Marner next contract

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Leafs will get Marner+Nylander both for 6.25 per for 5-6 years

LOL

Why would both of tese guys sign for 6,25M$ when they can get WAYYYYYYY more then that?? Each of these guys will make north of 7M$ (more production then Barkov btw) and Matthews will get 10+ also

Fans should stop thinking that players will take discount to stay witht their teams and blablabla... These guys are there to make money, as much as they can, for as long as they can.

Bottom line, Leafs will have a great offense with a cumulative salary cap of around 30M$, and nothing else behind!

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Chiarelli described contract talks as a "partnership" and not a negotiation.

In normal life this kind of talk from the representative of your prospective employer would be a huge red flag.

NHLPA*

Jul 26, 2017
Matthews 10.5m x 8 yrs
Marner 7.5m x 8 yrs
Nylander 7.5m x 8 yrs

Matthews 14mx5
Marner 7.5mx8
Nylander 7.5mx8

Fixed that for you.

People in Toronto are living in fantasy land thinking Americans actually want to play hockey in Canada.

JVR = won't sign in Canada as a UFA even in Toronto.
Gaudreau = wouldn't take an 8 year deal from the flames as he wants to play in Philly or Boston.
Matthews = won't take an 8 year deal buying UFA years. He wants to play in Arizona, Boston, Philly or LA.

This is reality people. Just accept it. This is why you do not draft American kids in the 1st round, EVER.

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
Matthews 14mx5
Marner 7.5mx8
Nylander 7.5mx8

Fixed that for you.

People in Toronto are living in fantasy land thinking Americans actually want to play hockey in Canada.

Gaudreau = wouldn't take an 8 year deal from the flames as he wants to play in Philly or Boston.
Matthews = won't take an 8 year deal buying UFA years. He wants to play in Arizona, Boston, Philly or LA.

This is reality people. Just accept it. This is why you do not draft American kids in the 1st round, EVER.

You're going to be one of those people that post all sorts of stupid **** with zero evidence or proof to back up your posts aren't you? :laugh: If any of things you posted were even close to true, you realize they're welcomed to ask for a trade, something none of the guys you posted about have. JVR has already said he loved it in T.O and went to management last season asking NOT to be traded. Next time you make a post, don't post wishful thinking trying to pass it off as facts when there isn't a single fact in your entire post.

"This is why you do not draft American kids in the 1st round, EVER." Lolol "This is reality people. Just accept it." Who's reality? The one going on between your ears because it sure isn't the reality the rest of us are living in.

Last edited:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Matthews 14mx5
Marner 7.5mx8
Nylander 7.5mx8

Fixed that for you.

Phil Kessel. American. Signed for 8 years with Toronto.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Matthews 14mx5
Marner 7.5mx8
Nylander 7.5mx8

Fixed that for you.

Matthews is getting 7-8 years at about 11 million per you need to accept that

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Matthews 14mx5
Marner 7.5mx8
Nylander 7.5mx8

Fixed that for you.

This honestly might be the dumbest post I've seen on this board. There are plenty of American players who have played in Canadian markets. There may be a desire to be in the states to make travel home easier, etc., but it hardly precludes them from playing in Canada.

Do you have a link for a quote of JVR Saying he won't sign in Toronto? Cause as far as I can tell, it's more so that Toronto doesn't want to bring him back at the price hell rightfully request, given internal players that can fill his role. Gaudreau said it would be nice to play back home, sure. But you're quoting young guys who don't want to commit to term not because of the location, but because I hey want to maximize their earning potential, believing they will get better and therefore ask for more. It's why McDavid only wanted 5 years, so he could ask for more after lighting the league on fire, and having officially become the face of th NHL afte Crosbys inevitable decline.

Never mind the blatant race/nationalism in the last sentence, which is just downright insulting. I suppose you'd have rather drafted Keaton Ellerby, Angelo Esposito, or Zachary Hamill over JVR (playing in a Canadian market) or Patrick Kane, huh? I bet th Canadiens Rue that Their American captain was their pick instead of the super loyal Canadian boy Nick Ross.

Matthews 14mx5
Marner 7.5mx8
Nylander 7.5mx8

Fixed that for you.

Dude seriously, are you ok?

LOL

Why would both of tese guys sign for 6,25M$ when they can get WAYYYYYYY more then that?? Each of these guys will make north of 7M$ (more production then Barkov btw) and Matthews will get 10+ also

Fans should stop thinking that players will take discount to stay witht their teams and blablabla... These guys are there to make money, as much as they can, for as long as they can.

Bottom line, Leafs will have a great offense with a cumulative salary cap of around 30M$, and nothing else behind!

:laugh:

Your deluded projections and subsequent joy at revealing them are beyond amusing.

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017

So you expect the three of them to average 10m per each coming off their ELCs? That is borderline clinical. 25M for all three for 5-8 years is the most I'd see happening (9-10 Matthews, 7-8 Marner/Nylander). Matthews won't get McDavid money unless he wins a Hart trophy. Also I expect Matthews to go the route that most star players go and take a 5 year deal that brings him to UFA at a slightly lesser AAV than he would get on an 8 year deal.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
:laugh:

Your deluded projections and subsequent joy at revealing them are beyond amusing.

How so?

Gardiner contract is up in a couple of years, you'll have to buy UFA years so prob a 5-6M$contract a year

If you want t keep the big 3 together along with Rielly, it will cost the elafs nearly 40% of the cap hit...

That doesnt leave a whole lot for the other 16 players on that team.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Matthews 14mx5
Marner 7.5mx8
Nylander 7.5mx8

Fixed that for you.

You have fed us this line of garbage before, I rebutted it and you ignored it because your position is unsupportable.

Plainly you like bad attention. I get it. Declaring Matthews will be the highest paid player in the league without having broken 70 points yet is just ridiculous.

Go find another fan base to bother please. You are clearly not here to have a reasonable discussion.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
How so?

Gardiner contract is up in a couple of years, you'll have to buy UFA years so prob a 5-6M$contract a year

If you want t keep the big 3 together along with Rielly, it will cost the elafs nearly 40% of the cap hit...

The Leafs will be fine as long as the cap continues to rise and seeing as it has only gone down once and that was because it was part of the CBA that they struck in 2013, it is safe to assume the cap will continue to rise and Toronto will be fine.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
How so?

Crosby 8.7
Malkin 9.5
Kessel 6.8
Letang 7.25

32.25, so more than 40% tied into 4 players, and that's not even counting the fact that they had Fleury on the team during the last two runs at 5.75 as a backup goalie.

While Matthews Marner and Nylander may not be Crosby and Malkin level, the leafs also have A better prospect pool to fill in the other lines. I'm sure they'll be okay.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Crosby 8.7
Malkin 9.5
Kessel 6.8
Letang 7.25

32.25, so more than 40% tied into 4 players, and that's not even counting the fact that they had Fleury on the team during the last two runs at 5.75 as a backup goalie.

While Matthews Marner and Nylander may not be Crosby and Malkin level, the leafs also have A better prospect pool to fill in the other lines. I'm sure they'll be okay.

Ã*Except Marner will make WAYYYY More then Kessel
Matthews will make 10-11M Nylander will also prob be around 8-9
Rielly is at 5
Gardiner will be around 6

And youa lso have to PAY these prospects

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Crosby 8.7
Malkin 9.5
Kessel 6.8
Letang 7.25

I have to say I am amazed to see a fan of another team not just refrain from bashing the team, but actually give them credit.

I am confused because it never happens, but good on you

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Ã*Except Marner will make WAYYYY More then Kessel
Matthews will make 10-11M Nylander will also prob be around 8-9
Rielly is at 5
Gardiner will be around 6

And youa lso have to PAY these prospects

Yes, but they have plenty of prospects to cycle through on elcs, much like Pittsburgh has. Matthews mad Hyman a 20 goal scorer I think, so there's no reason they can't cycle players in and out of that top line. Are the contracts going to restrict available cap space? Absolutely But it's hardly going to handcuff them when their 3 best forwards and 2 good top 4 d men are locked up with term.

Let's also try not to pretend like Rielly at 5 isn't a good deal.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Yes, but they have plenty of prospects to cycle through on elcs, much like Pittsburgh has. Matthews mad Hyman a 20 goal scorer I think, so there's no reason they can't cycle players in and out of that top line. Are the contracts going to restrict available cap space? Absolutely But it's hardly going to handcuff them when their 3 best forwards and 2 good top 4 d men are locked up with term.

Let's also try not to pretend like Rielly at 5 isn't a good deal.

Matthews made Hyman a 10 goal scorer which tells you why Marleau is here, because Hyman can't finish.

he SHOULD have had 20 but the guy can't hit the ocean with his shot

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I have to say I am amazed to see a fan of another team not just refrain from bashing the team, but actually give them credit.

I am confused because it never happens, but good on you

Dont get me wrong, it pains me to defend the leafs. :laugh:

I just feel like so many people are being closed minded because of their dislike for the leafs, and are ignoring that it's still possible to build a good team even though you have high paid players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad