Value of: Mitch Marner next contract

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Yikes, my bad. Was too lazy to check, thought I read that he made 20.

nope 10 goals 28 points and he played with Matthews

he did have 3 Short Handed goals which is a Leaf rookie record

but it also means he got 7 goals on Matthews wing

and that is why Marleau is here now

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
nope 10 goals 28 points and he played with Matthews

he did have 3 Short Handed goals which is a Leaf rookie record

but it also means he got 7 goals on Matthews wing

and that is why Marleau is here now

Makes sense. And you've got Kadri locked up, too. Defense needs some work, but the team has a bright future, even if eveeyone here doesn't want to acknowledge it.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Makes sense. And you've got Kadri locked up, too. Defense needs some work, but the team has a bright future, even if eveeyone here doesn't want to acknowledge it.

No man, you got it all wrong. They are encouraging us, we are just paranoid with a persecution complex. Get with the program.:sarcasm: Every teams FA signings runs four threads+ of everyone telling you how bad it was and how screwed your team is.

pictman

Mar 7, 2012
pictish hills
Given their short career, this year will dictate what their 2nd contracts will be.

If they replicate what they did last season:
Matthews: $8M-$9M
Nylander / Marner: $6M-$7M

If they all better themselves by 10 -20 points :
Matthews (80-90 points): $9.5-$10.5M
Nylander / Marner (70-80)points: $7.5M-$8.5M

This makes no sense to me.Sheifele just signed for6.125 long term.7th overall in points(82 in 79 games) and is still improving every year.McDavid led the league in points.They need to hit those levels BEFORE you shell out the massive $ being suggested here.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Whistling by the graveyard...

:crossfing

I have near complete confidence in this management team and I say "near" because they have still failed to address the backup goalie properly.

But in terms of cap space I have no doubt we will be fine

hell they have nearly 30 million in space after this season and that does not include a rise in the cap which WILL come with Vegas in the NHL.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
No man, you got it all wrong. They are encouraging us, we are just paranoid with a persecution complex. Get with the program.:sarcasm: Every teams FA signings runs four threads+ of everyone telling you how bad it was and how screwed your team is.

:laugh:

And you're contributing to the legend.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
I have near complete confidence in this management team and I say "near" because they have still failed to address the backup goalie properly.

But in terms of cap space I have no doubt we will be fine

hell they have nearly 30 million in space after this season and that does not include a rise in the cap which WILL come with Vegas in the NHL.

That would be the $30M minus any performance bonus that could be earned this season as the Leafs would be tight against the cap if they used LTIR before the season starts.

And they would to sign 7 forwards and 3 dmen.

bigbabybuda

Feb 19, 2014
Canada
If they're all locked up to long term deals.

Marner and Nylander will be in the 7-8 million range and Matthews 8.5-9mil

Mathews is not getting 10mil and Marner is not getting over 8. The ranges I put forth are the highend.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
This makes no sense to me.Sheifele just signed for6.125 long term.7th overall in points(82 in 79 games) and is still improving every year.McDavid led the league in points.They need to hit those levels BEFORE you shell out the massive $ being suggested here.

Schiefele got 6.125x8 the year after putting up 61 points in 71 games as a 22 year old. That sits right int he range of the guy you quoted. 6-7 if they replicate their last year and Marner/Nylander put up 61 points this past year.

Maybe you think Schiefele just resigned this past month of something. But he signed that deal before he put up 82 points last year so not sure why you're using that as a reference to what they have to do before they sign a big deal when Schiefele did it after he signed.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
No way Marner would only agree to something between 6-7 mil. He should be a little below Drai. If Drai gets 9, then Marner should atleast have 7,5.

Then it will be intressting to compare Nylander to Ehlers contract aswell. Atm both are at the same level =)

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
No way Marner would only agree to something between 6-7 mil. He should be a little below Drai. If Drai gets 9, then Marner should atleast have 7,5.

Then it will be intressting to compare Nylander to Ehlers contract aswell. Atm both are at the same level =)

There's the intra-team matters to consider above that. Valuing one over another Marner/Nylander in contract terms feels like it would be a bad policy, and on the Jets side Ehlers will primarily be compared to Scheifele who should be above him in salary.

But, Nylander and Ehlers could be expanded *now* if the team wanted. Letting them rack another high-point season might get expensive.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
We're assuming Marner Is going to have at least a slightly better year production-wise right? 70+ points?

I see a 2 year deal for 6+ if not a long term one.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

A 10-20 point increase next year would put them at those levels. +10 would have placed Matthews 7th in scoring last year. +20 would have been worth 2nd place. Seems to me if he delivers this season in the 85+ point range, he'll get a monster franchise player type deal around 9-10 per.

Scheifele left a lot of $ on the table at his price. Seems like a misread of the market by his team of advisors, or poor timing...

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
But, Nylander and Ehlers could be expanded *now* if the team wanted. Letting them rack another high-point season might get expensive.

And, don't forget, if the player and his agent wanted, as well. They know that it might get expensive, and they might want that.

Since 2008, the only players to "prematurely" sign an extension at age <22 with one year left on their ELC were:

Connor McDavid
Aaron Ekblad
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
Gabriel Landeskog
Taylor Hall
Patrick Kane
Anze Kopitar
Evgeni Malkin

That's five 1st overall picks, plus the then-youngest captain in NHL history, plus Kopitar and Malkin. I think it's safe to expect neither Nylander nor Ehlers to sign an extension this year.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
And, don't forget, if the player and his agent wanted, as well. They know that it might get expensive, and they might want that.

Since 2008, the only players to "prematurely" sign an extension at age <22 with one year left on their ELC were:

Connor McDavid
Aaron Ekblad
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
Gabriel Landeskog
Taylor Hall
Patrick Kane
Anze Kopitar
Evgeni Malkin

That's five 1st overall picks, plus the then-youngest captain in NHL history, plus Kopitar and Malkin. I think it's safe to expect neither Nylander nor Ehlers to sign an extension this year.

Boom. :handclap:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

Connor McDavid
Aaron Ekblad
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
Gabriel Landeskog
Taylor Hall
Patrick Kane
Anze Kopitar
Evgeni Malkin

It's a point. Though, both teams are in the peculiar situation of two or more presumably expensive super-talents waiting to be signed in two years' time, so they may choose to apply a special strategy in how to try sign them affordably long-term. Early start is one possible strategy.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If they're all locked up to long term deals.

Marner and Nylander will be in the 7-8 million range and Matthews 8.5-9mil

Mathews is not getting 10mil and Marner is not getting over 8. The ranges I put forth are the highend.

Not sure how you could say Matthews won't get ten. I'd imagine that's what he'll be getting assuming he approaches PPG this coming season.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Given their short career, this year will dictate what their 2nd contracts will be.

If they replicate what they did last season:
Matthews: $8M-$9M
Nylander / Marner: $6M-$7M

If they all better themselves by 10 -20 points :
Matthews (80-90 points): $9.5-$10.5M
Nylander / Marner (70-80)points: $7.5M-$8.5M

Given even a minor improvement on their rookie totals, I can't imagine seeing them sign for less than:
Matthews 10-11
Nylander 7.5-8.5
Marner 6.5-8

And that's not waiting to see what Eichel's new contract is (I'm expecting 9.5+ which will set the floor for Matthews' extension).

Then Pasternak's extension will also color negotiations for Nylander's extension, which I doubt comes in at less than 7x6 and likely is closer to 8x7 given the length of negotiations (reports saying he turned down 6x6). Johansen signed for 8x8 after a 61 pt season at 25. I honestly believe that the Leafs should have signed him already and made an offer for 6x7 before any other notables sign extensions and give his agent grounds to hike his price.

Marner's contract is going to be the cheapest given that he isn't expected to play center, but if he exceeds 70 pts this coming season then he may warrant a match to Nylander's extension.

In short, if the Leafs can sign this trio for under 25 a season, they've done well. I expect to see their cap hit come in closer to 27 and depending on their performance next season, that may climb too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad