Value of: Mitch Marner next contract

klamla

Jan 3, 2016
you'd think they would be trying to get their players more money, not less...:sarcasm:

haha honestly, people should be required to actually watch a player play before engaging in discussions about them.

but maybe that makes too much sense, i dont know

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
McDavid also didn't demand a max term either. His side initially asked for five years like Crosby, Malkin, and others got after their ELC.

Chiarelli described contract talks as a "partnership" and not a negotiation. These players aren't stupid and ask for unrealistic salaries that will destroy their teams. Matthews signs an 8-year extension next summer with the Leafs that's fair for both sides and that poster will be nowhere to be seen.

Sounds about right.

NHLPA*

Jul 26, 2017
This was a few years ago when I was still living in NJ, so I suppose it's possible.

He hasn't shrunk. I saw him at the Flames garbage bag day at end of this season. He is between 5'8" and 5'9". The NHL and various statistic website have him at 5'8" to 5'9" as well.

It's one thing to be smaller than average in the NHL but being smaller than average and having a slight frame will hurt you.

Johnny Gaudreau is easily the most skilled undersized player in the game and it's not even close between him and Marner.

NHLPA*

Jul 26, 2017
McDavid also didn't demand a max term either. His side initially asked for five years like Crosby, Malkin, and others got after their ELC.

Chiarelli described contract talks as a "partnership" and not a negotiation. These players aren't stupid, asking for unrealistic salaries that will destroy their teams. Matthews signs an 8-year extension next summer with the Leafs that's fair for both sides and that poster will be nowhere to be seen.

Partnership? [mod]

By taking a 12.M/Y deal that is a player that is consuming the money you would normally pay TWO 1st line players or 1st pair Dman.

McDavid costs as much as Gaudreau + TJ Brodie.

Anything north of 9M per season is handicapping a teams ability to fill out the roster with good depth players. Instead of having veteran NHLers you will rely upon young AHL quality players that will play at league minimum.

McDavid did them a favor by giving them 1.5M off the max to make him look like a good guy.

Matthews scores 40 goals this season he is easily worth the same 12.5M McDavid got if not more. He scores 50-60 and you are looking at a player with close to 100 goals in his first 2 seasons before the age of 20.

If you look at the money Ovie got and extrapolate that with today's cap you'd be looking at the 14M max if not more.

I personally think any team paying 1 player this much money has no shot at winning. McDavid or not you make the rest of the team so much weaker.

Pittsburgh is a good example. They won 2 cups with 2 high price players. Had the salary cap not continued to go up they would not have the money to ice a competitive team. This exact same reason is why Chicago is now struggling to balance the team.

News Flash salaries aren't going up anymore. If anything the next CBA is going to require another reset from players using the escalator when the revenue hasn't nearly increased as much as they have pushed it.

Matthews is a great player but I wouldn't want him on my Calgary Flames. No chance in hell.

In Matthews I see Ovechkin 2.0. Good luck with that. Will score a pile of goals and get you stuck in the 1st and 2nd round of playoffs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Partnership? Are you on crack?

By taking a 12.M/Y deal that is a player that is consuming the money you would normally pay TWO 1st line players or 1st pair Dman.

Anything north of 9M per season is handicapping a teams ability to fill out the roster with good depth players. Instead of having veteran NHLers you will rely upon young AHL quality players that will play at league minimum.

McDavid did them a favor by giving them 1.5M off the max to make him look like a good guy.

Matthews scores 40 goals this season he is easily worth the same 12.5M McDavid got if not more. He scores 50-60 and you are looking at a player with close to 100 goals in his first 2 seasons before the age of 20.

If you look at the money Ovie got and extrapolate that with today's cap you'd be looking at the 14M max if not more.

I personally think any team paying 1 player this much money has no shot at winning. McDavid or not you make the rest of the team so much weaker.

Pittsburgh is a good example. They won 2 cups with 2 high price players. Had the salary cap not continued to go up they would not have the money to ice a competitive team. This exact same reason is why Chicago is now struggling to balance the team.

News Flash salaries aren't going up anymore. If anything the next CBA is going to require another reset from players using the escalator when the revenue hasn't nearly increased as much as they have pushed it.

Matthews is a great player but I wouldn't want him on my Calgary Flames. No chance in hell.

In Matthews I see Ovechkin 2.0. Good luck with that. Will score a pile of goals and get you stuck in the 1st and 2nd round of playoffs.

from the proverbial Horse's mouth:
http://nationalpost.com/g00/sports/...77a6ba11?i10c.referrer=https://www.google.ca/

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
The Penguins just won the Cup with a $9.5M player.

The Blackhawks just had their second best regular season in team history with two $10.5M players.

The Capitals have won multiple President's Trophies with a player making over $9.5M/season.

He took $2.5M off the max. You are having a problem figuring out what a max contract is.

I'm sure you wouldn't take a 40-goal scoring teenager.

Let us know when that great Flames roster you wouldn't trade actually wins a playoff game.

That guy is more interested in spouting his opinion as fact and ignoring reality.

Last edited:

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I don't Marner's size will ever be an issue. The few times he got levelled last year, he got right up and was back in the play.
When Kessel was a Leaf he avoided contact at all cost, despite being a strong guy. He never leaned on an opponent to retrieve the puck. But the times that Kessel was levelled by body checks, he got right up and continuing playing. So I was disappointed/surprised that Phil would avoid "defensive" contact when he quite capable of the either initiating contact or taking a hit.

Players not wanting to play in Canada. Actually a lot of this fantasy was started by the very incompetent GM Brian Burke. He played the media and the media attention of the Leafs not playing well. Of course was a diversion to take away the truth that Burke had put together such a crappy team.
Look at the Leafs and especially the young ones, it they love it Toronto. I really don't think the media is at all a factor at least in Toronto. To me they are "soft" on the team, even the non performers. If you have TV you really don't need the media anyway. You can judge who is playing well or not.

Taxes, this blah blah about players paying more taxes in Canada is probably not factual. Often player pay the tax of their "home country" not Canadian taxes. Players have many of their taxes paid at the lower Canadian corporate rate rather than the personal tax rate.

I might say though the weather in Edmonton and Winnipeg might not be attractive to some players, And the travel schedule for Vancouver, Edmonton and Calgary might be among the worse.
If you have school aged children, playing in Quebec might be issue with the "French first" policy. But if are single, playing in Montreal might be quite attractive.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Gaudreau is easily the most skilled undersized player in the game and it's not even close between him and Marner.

That's one opinion. He's in the mix for sure. If Marner isnt ahead of him, he's right there with him

one77

Dec 22, 2013
Marner and Nylander will both cost around 6.5-7M/year for 6 years.
Matthews will cost I would say $9M/year for 8 years.

Crazy but well worth it.

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
Partnership? [mod]

[mod]

Also if you want to dispute it go ahead, but I think most fans would take McDavid over those two flames players :dunno:

Last edited by a moderator:

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Funny how the big 3 gets hyped up like crazy until we're talking money.

''oh, Matthews will get 8mil and Marner 6mill''

Yeah right man!
In this NHL's era, these two will fetch nearly 20mil together

Our young guys are all very good and deserving of the hype. But that doesn't mean it's unfair to claim Matthews won't get 12.5m per. That's just being realistic. Connor McDavid got 100 points, won the Art Ross, Hart and Ted Lindsay in his second season to get that figure. Unless you're expecting Matthews to replicate that feat, he should be clearly a notch below. Most Leafs fans I know expect him to come in around 10m

And guess what? I can make generalizations too!

All Leafs fans have been told is that Matthews isn't on McDavid's level, but of course he's gonna be paid exactly the same.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
LOL I was thinking the same. I don’t know about your $20 million number, but if they are the players Leaf fans keep telling us they are I can’t see their combined number being under $18 million.
Our young guys are all very good and deserving of the hype. But that doesn't mean it's unfair to claim Matthews won't get 12.5m per. That's just being realistic.
But unless he stagnates or takes steps backwards suggesting anything under 10 is unrealistic as well.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
My best case scenario realistic expectation is 10 Matthews, 7 each of nylander and marner

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens banked on the cap going up. Yes both Crosby and Malkin chipped in, but if the cap stagnates to only 2 million per from here, tough to pay 25 million to three players who have won nothing. Talent aside, 33% of your cap is a lot to financial flexibility. Center are going to be paid. Wingers, I take a harder stand. Pens had a blend of stars, mid level players and ELC guys. Pens are starting to pay those contracts coming off ELC or bridge deals. Dumo. Schultz on D. Next up Rust, Jake and Sheary.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

''oh, Matthews will get 8mil and Marner 6mill''

Yeah right man!
In this NHL's era, these two will fetch nearly 20mil together

Matthews could easily get 10+ in fact I expect it but ONLY Mcdavid gets 12.5

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
There is no way in hell Marner gets what Leon is about to get.

You can see that far into the future? IF Marner builds off what he did in his rookie season and does even better than this past season then Yes, there is a chance that he does get what LD makes.

My guess right now is that Marner gets 7 year 7 mill.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Are you saying that because you think Marner isn't as good or because you think he'll get paid less than market value?

Leaf fans are hoping all players take huge hometown discounts. Leon D got 51 PTS when he played a full season at the same age as Mitch. Mitch got 61 PTS at the same age. While mcdavid got more points... Those 40 goals by Matthews is a statement. If he scores 50 next season?

NHLPA*

Jul 26, 2017
Any player that comes close to be a franchise player is worth giving up 10M for.

From the perspective of any other team you are giving up THREE 1st round picks, NOT 4 and gaining a 1st line player or #1 pairing D man.

Idea being this player is going to put you in the Final 4 each year whereby the compensation is 28th to 31st overall pick.

Need to remember that player you offersheet and acquire is taking the place of your 1st round pick that year so you are in theory only losing out on 3 prospects for the guaranteed ability to acquire a star player.

Do some searching. You'll find the 1st round rate of success is around 25%. Unless your team is drafting above average it actually makes a lot of sense to steal other players using offer sheets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad