Speculation: Mitch Marner Mega Thread Part 5 (Warning in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
giphy.gif

Adjustment required... lopsided trade.
Lol.

How many first round picks are the flames willing to add?

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
Guadreau+ for Marner. Tkachuk is like 3 tiers below Marner imo. 94 points as a 22 year old. I could see him putting up Kucherov like numbers next season if the leafs pick up their PP.

Don’t wanna see Marner go but I’d ask for something like.

Marner, Lilijgren And Ceci

For

Dobson, Pulock, Ho-Sang And 1st 2020

Or

Marner, Frederik Andersen And Joseph Woll/Ian Scott

For

Rickard Rakel, Hampus Lindholm And John Gibson.

Tkachuk will get payed less because Marner is way better. He could easily Lead the league in points next Season.

Might want to change your “username”.

Reactions: Flamesgod and Dack

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Well yes, i agree, as a leafs fan.... ceci is horrendous.

But there is no way i would downgrade from marner to tkachuck without an enormous amount of compensation. Like multiple firsts.
While I agree that Marner is worth more, he's not worth multiple first more. Tkachuk had more goals and brings a lot more intangibles and physical presence. Tkachuk is also a much better leader.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Really high on both players , wanted Oilers to draft Tkachuk bad , but Marner is the superior player and has franchise winger top 5 scoring written all over him in Kane like fashion. Value would be more like Tkachuk +Hanifin For Marner + 1st

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
If I was Toronto, I’d strongly consider Marner to Ottawa for Chabot+. Leafs reduce cap and balance out their roster further (their defense would now be a strong asset and their forward group up front would still be quite formidable), while Ottawa would have a new franchise star to lift their fans out of their (understandable) depression.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Interestingly enough he and Matthews had chemistry back in the day. I wonder if they'd bring Roslovic back on that line if they were to do it. Also, I think Calgary gives Marner what he wants if it did happen.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I take Tkachuk over Marner 10 times outta 10. You win with guys like Tkachuk, he does EVERYTHING.

I dislike the Leafs, but Marner has more talent in the left hemisphere of his ball sack than Matthew Tkachuk does in his entirety. MT is a terrific player no doubt, but Marner may just well be top 5 or top 7 in the NHL. He’s THAT good.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Calgary passes, I expect that Marner is going to pull in 2 to 3 million dollars more against the cap, which makes him a unaffordable luxury.

Plus I like Tkatchuk's other attributes better, the Flames need more players with a nasty streak not less.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Marner makes the centers he plays with better. There's a reason that Tavares had a career year playing with Marner.
You mean when he beat his career best in points by 2 in a year where everyone was beating their career bests? Are you actually going to argue that Marner increasing his career high by 25 points is him just being elite while Tavares boosting his career high by 2 is all Marner magic? Marner's good but he is massively overrated for what he brings.

Marner makes whoever he plays with much much better. You can put a 3C with him and he’ll produce like a top six player.
Yeah except he's played with Kadri and Tavares who are... oh look, top 6 centres. If you want to claim he can prop up weaker wingers put him with players that aren't high calibre for where they are playing. He can dance around with the puck but he won't be scoring without another threat that allows him to sneak through to get to good places. Throw Marner on Spezza's wing and I'm sure he'll produce 100 points while being double-teamed since he'd be the main driver of that line.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
I dislike the Leafs, but Marner has more talent in the left hemisphere of his ball sack than Matthew Tkachuk does in his entirety. MT is a terrific player no doubt, but Marner may just well be top 5 or top 7 in the NHL. He’s THAT good.

There will be like a 10 to 15 point gap between them. Everything else Tkachuk brings to the table more than makes up for that difference in pts.

On top of that you're way less likely to overpay for Tkachuk because his game isn't only measured in pts, he brings so much more to a team (pest/great 2 way/size/talent/grit etc.). That said Marner is among the top in the NHL when it comes to hockey IQ.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
May not seem like it today but I think Tkachuk could bring more value to the leafs lineup than Marner.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
If I was Toronto, I’d strongly consider Marner to Ottawa for Chabot+. Leafs reduce cap and balance out their roster further (their defense would now be a strong asset and their forward group up front would still be quite formidable), while Ottawa would have a new franchise star to lift their fans out of their (understandable) depression.
You don't build your team around Marner.

goblix

May 11, 2013
Because the flames who are at 9.5m cap space remaining wants to trade for a player that is reported to make 10-11m :|

Be a good add for the leafs though, I think Tkachuk would bring the right kind of antics without going full Kadri, plus be cool to have a OTT - Tkachuk vs TOR - Tkachuck type of rivalry.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Even if the Flames could afford Marner (they can’t), it would be tough to pull that trigger. Not on a skill/scoring basis, Tkachuk is looking more and more like he’s going to be our next captain, the extras he gives night in night out would be insanely hard to pry away. No slight to Marner, I don’t expect Chucky to be going anywhere anytime soon unless he explicitly says he wants out.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Tkachuk is a year younger and if he was playing with Tavares instead of Backlund he would have outscored Marner this year. Not even getting into the fact that he's a gritty two way pest and Marner gets blown over by a gentle breeze.

Comically lopsided for the Leafs as all these trade proposals tend to be lol

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
Tkachuk is a year younger and if he was playing with Tavares instead of Backlund he would have outscored Marner this year. Not even getting into the fact that he's a gritty two way pest and Marner gets blown over by a gentle breeze.

Comically lopsided for the Leafs as all these trade proposals tend to be lol
Why didn’t he outscore Marner during their first two years? Or in junior?

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
While I agree that Marner is worth more, he's not worth multiple first more. Tkachuk had more goals and brings a lot more intangibles and physical presence. Tkachuk is also a much better leader.
A much better leader. You really went out on a limb there with something that cannot be proven. I'm curious, since you're an expert on leadership and have clearly sat in both dressing rooms, what makes him more of a "leader" over Marner?

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I’m a neutral and would rather have Tkachuk long term.

Same here, don't think the difference in skill is that great. Some fans obsess over point totals, but there is a lot more to the game than that. Tkachuk is already nearly a PPG player but also one of the top power forwards in the league with 40+ goal potential. Give me the goal-scoring power forward rather than the super skill guy, even if Marner may score more points. But I can see both sides, for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad