Speculation: Mitch Marner Mega Thread Part 5 (Warning in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Mitch don't need no centre. He turned Hyman into a 20 goal guy. You just need somebody who can stand around the net with his stick on the ice so Mitch can pass the puck off of it.
Which is why his corsi drops by 20% when away from Tavares while Tavares' barely changes. He ain't as great as everyone says and alot less than what he's asking for. I ain't saying Mitch ain't good but he got a big boost from Tavares that I don't think the Flames wanna pay.

Reactions: TML1990

FanTheFlames

Aug 20, 2017
Not interested in this trade from the flames perspective add or not. I think Tkachuk is the future captain in Calgary and he plays the type of game and style teams wish they had more of. I dont see the same leadership in Marner, but skill level Marner is definitely better than Tkachuk.

Reactions: davinhimself

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I take Tkachuk over Marner 10 times outta 10. You win with guys like Tkachuk, he does EVERYTHING.

Oh that's why he's a complete nonfactor in the playoffs. 3 points in 9 games and a minus player despite getting 60% offensive zone starts, what a warrior. Good thing he's out there racking up 22 PIMs, that sure helped Calgary get out of the 1st round.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Yes because Hamonic has just been such a stud in Calgary right

I think it's pretty much consensus among Flames fans that he was our second best dman last season. He was excellent in the regular season

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Guadreau+ for Marner. Tkachuk is like 3 tiers below Marner imo. 94 points as a 22 year old. I could see him putting up Kucherov like numbers next season if the leafs pick up their PP.

Don’t wanna see Marner go but I’d ask for something like.

Marner, Lilijgren And Ceci

For

Dobson, Pulock, Ho-Sang And 1st 2020

Or

Marner, Frederik Andersen And Joseph Woll/Ian Scott

For

Rickard Rakel, Hampus Lindholm And John Gibson.

Tkachuk will get payed less because Marner is way better. He could easily Lead the league in points next Season.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
I feel like this would be a one for one with no add ons.
the less money tkachuk makes would even the value.

You always want the better player unless he’s on a below market contract. If they both get market value, bad deal for Leafs — need a second or maybe 1st to even up.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Mitch don't need no centre. He turned Hyman into a 20 goal guy. You just need somebody who can stand around the net with his stick on the ice so Mitch can pass the puck off of it.

Yes he does. The fundamental issue with Marner is not that he’s not a great hockey player and maybe even a top 10 or top 15 player but he’s not as good as Matthews who is a top five player. Marner and his entourage believe they are equal to Matthews — just not true. Can’t get same money.

Hey, it’s an amazing problem for Leafs to have because Marner is so good.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Oh that's why he's a complete nonfactor in the playoffs. 3 points in 9 games and a minus player despite getting 60% offensive zone starts, what a warrior. Good thing he's out there racking up 22 PIMs, that sure helped Calgary get out of the 1st round.

Skewed sample, his 1st playoff run was during his rookie season and he was tied for 2nd in team scoring in his last run (their entire team played bad).

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I'd do it just to see Marner and Gaudreau play together. That'd be one the most skilled, yet possibly softest lines in league history.

They would eat up half the game dangling. Their random linemate would challenge for the a Rocket Richard.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
That's not how it works.....
It actually is...

If Toronto is traded Marner, it's because they after being forced to. If they can get a guy like Tkachuk, who is younger and willing to take less money, they jump all over that. Realistically, a forced trade is unlikely to bring back a player as good as Tkachuk.

davinhimself

Nov 9, 2009
Queens, NY
I think one for one would be fair. Both excellent players.

While Marner is probably a tad “better”, there’s something about Tkachuk that tells me to hang on that kid. I could see him netting 45-50 and annihilating anyone who gets in his way. With his grit, he would probably be better for Toronto’s make-up as well, while coming in much cheaper.

George Clooney

Jan 29, 2014
Oh please, just for the chaos that would create on here. Plz do it. You guys think subban weber or hall and that dman from NJ that i cant remember the name were big? Just imagine a confirmed trade marner-tkachuk thread.

Legit im taking off that day or even leaving work early just to read it.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
It actually is...

If Toronto is traded Marner, it's because they after being forced to. If they can get a guy like Tkachuk, who is younger and willing to take less money, they jump all over that. Realistically, a forced trade is unlikely to bring back a player as good as Tkachuk.

The situation you're describing where Toronto is being forced to trade Marner is making the best out of a bad situation sure and I'd be perfectly fine with that. That doesn't however make Tkachuk at 7M equal in value to Marner at 9M like the person I was quoting was suggesting. It's not as simple as that. Marner is the better player and you pay a premium for elite talent to get your team over the top. Not a knock on Tkachuk by any means because I would love him on my team, but that logic is flawed. No GM in the league even trades McDavid at 12M for arguably the best contract in the league (MacKinnon at 6.3M) because you want the best players on your roster. Well, maybe Melnyk would ;)

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Skewed sample, his 1st playoff run was during his rookie season and he was tied for 2nd in team scoring in his last run (their entire team played bad).

Yeah, skewed example until you realize Marner was excellent in his first three playoffs. Because he's actually the type of player you win with.

Reactions: TML1990

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Enjoy Ceci. He's worse than Zaitsev. Your proposal is awful.
Well yes, i agree, as a leafs fan.... ceci is horrendous.

But there is no way i would downgrade from marner to tkachuck without an enormous amount of compensation. Like multiple firsts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad