Speculation: Mitch Marner has been kidnapped

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Because his line is constantly matching up against the Bergeron line?

And if Marner is playing deep in the zone, yes, Bergeron will be tracking him as is his duty as a centreman. Not Marchand whose job is to defend his circle and point.

Why are you so hung up on this? :laugh:

If Brayden Point can get it done against the Bergeron line I'm sure Marner can one day.

But I don't look too much into it personally, matchups are a strange thing at the end of the day.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
Seems like this fanbase has all but forgotten that Marner is the only reason you didn't get swept in the playoffs last year. He had more points than Matthews and Nylander combined.

Reactions: Al14

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
If Brayden Point can get it done against the Bergeron line I'm sure Marner can one day.

But I don't look too much into it personally, matchups are a strange thing at the end of the day.

Certainly.

And Bergeron has his bad days too just like any other player. As he gets older, those will happen more frequently.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Perhaps Mitch is being asked to do too much, and some maybe believed he was better than he is.

He's very good, but he's playing against very good players.

He isn't MacKinnon.
Your right he is not Mackinons age yet. Mitch will only get better. He has 4 points and more playoff points then any Leaf the last 3 years. I say he is doing fine.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
Your right he is not Mackinons age yet. Mitch will only get better. He has 4 points and more playoff points then any Leaf the last 3 years. I say he is doing fine.
I agree that he will get better and that he is already a very good player.
But he has been a non factor in 5 out of 6 games this series. That's not fine.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
If I am being homest JT is not distributing the puck very well. He is not passing to the one player who can get him the puck when he is in scoring position. JT has had 17 shots on net and has one goal. He has missed several good scoring chances and has taken far to many shots from outside of the prime shooting area. He has turned the puck over a lot on attempts to do it all him self.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
He's only 22. Not many 22 y/o's can handle the role he's in right now. Of course theres going to be some bumps in the road. Would love for him to get some offense going again, but its not easy.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
If I am being homest JT is not distributing the puck very well. He is not passing to the one player who can get him the puck when he is in scoring position. JT has had 17 shots on net and has one goal. He has missed several good scoring chances and has taken far to many shots from outside of the prime shooting area. He has turned the puck over a lot on attempts to do it all him self.
Tavares has had no patience. He tries to take difficult routes to the net, making plays that would make him look like a hero if they worked but is likely to not get anywhere. We've seen him try to go through three guys without speed. He needs to start making better decisions out there.

Reactions: diceman934

Luminiferous

Oct 11, 2018
I have zero problem with his play in any of these playoff series. I mean, sure, he faded a bit, recently. However, He has given more than anyone. Right up there with Andersen. I refuse to have a " what have you done for me recently " attitude.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Seems like this fanbase has all but forgotten that Marner is the only reason you didn't get swept in the playoffs last year. He had more points than Matthews and Nylander combined.
I don't think we have forgotten what Marner has done this season and before. It's possible to remember and cherish that while acknowledging that his play this postseason has not been what we are used to. In fact, I'd say it's vital to a fair evaluation.

Reactions: Menzinger

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I don't think we have forgotten what Marner has done this season and before. It's possible to remember and cherish that while acknowledging that his play this postseason has not been what we are used to. In fact, I'd say it's vital to a fair evaluation.

He's not skating out there like he usually does, it's very noticeable on the PK as well. I believe he must be playing hurt.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
He's not skating out there like he usually does, it's very noticeable on the PK as well. I believe he must be playing hurt.
Yeah I believe so too. There's a pop missing in his skating, he doesn't seem to have that ability to play at speed with perfect control that makes him so shifty.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Marner and Tavares haven’t produced enough this series. They have one game to figure it out. We NEED them to have a big game.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The goal going into this series was for Marner/Tavares and Hyman to offset the offense of Boston's big trio. At this point that hasn't happened, only at ES, but not on the PP.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
That simply is not true.

Even as his biggest fan you have to see the number of bad passes that he has thrown up in the D zone.

The OP is as dumb as the Matthews one. Marner has been fine. People are expecting way too much.

But Marner has been careless with the puck in his own zone and makes routine plays look overly complicated by flopping around like crazy.

Beyonder91

RASMUS
Oct 13, 2006
Toronto
The goal going into this series was for Marner/Tavares and Hyman to offset the offense of Boston's big trio. At this point that hasn't happened, only at ES, but not on the PP.
Does Hyman play on the power play? They are doing their job 5on5.
The power play is a completely separate story and has many more players involved.

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
Rantanen has 5 goals and 9 points this playoffs.
Rantanen scored 84 points last year and 87 this year. Rantanen scored far more goals than Marner.

Yet everyone on the leafs board and main board says Marner will sign for substantially more money than Rantanen this offseason.

That BETTER not be the case. If Marner makes even one PENNY more than Rantanen, leafs fans should start protesting against Dubas outside the acc.

Where are you going to find the time to bitch about Marner's contract next season when you already have a full time job complaining about Nylander?

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Dude has been buried in the defensive zone against the highest possible competition. Dude has 4P in 6GP, including an epic shorty.

You know who else has 4P in 6GP? Patrice Bergeron.

Fake Leaf fans GTFO.

Reactions: frog and DarkKnight

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
Even as his biggest fan you have to see the number of bad passes that he has thrown up in the D zone.

The OP is as dumb as the Matthews one. Marner has been fine. People are expecting way too much.

But Marner has been careless with the puck in his own zone and makes routine plays look overly complicated by flopping around like crazy.
When a guy has his dad and agent telling the media that he should be among the highest paid players in the league, he needs to perform when it matters most.
You can't say you should be the among the highest paid and then disappear when you are matched up against some of the leagues best.
I hope he scores 5 goals tonight and they win..... but if he plays like he has been lately, the leafs are in tough.

CarterD

Dec 20, 2018
I agree that he will get better and that he is already a very good player.
But he has been a non factor in 5 out of 6 games this series. That's not fine.

I thought this entire thread was a joke, this post confirms it.

Everyone needs to take thwir heads out of their asses jfc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad