Speculation: Mitch Marner has been kidnapped

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I don’t fault Marner and Tavares for getting shut down by the the best defensive C and one of the best defensive wingers in the game, just like how I didn’t fault Matthews and Nylander last year. I just hope it puts to rest the dumb as **** argument that Matthews and Willy lacked heart or didn’t try last year.

This is a really good point. Maybe the Bergeron line is really tough to play against for our 20 year old superstars?

With that said, we have a chance to exorcise these demons tomorrow night. This ain't over.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Wait what?

Some guy who plays Selke level defense and just put up 100 points in the season is now considered a "top top player"?
Marner should be eating this guy for breakfast.
Same with Tavares and that guy we've never heard of "Patrick Bergeon" or whatever. What the hell has he ever accomplished in his career? That's right, nothing.
There's a guy with no playoff experience, no defensive acumen and who likely have never put up a 35 point season.
I'd bet he's never even won any personal or team hardware since he was a Timbits player in Regina, or wherever he comes from.
Why isn't Tavares just completely dominating him and scoring on every single of his 21 shifts per game?

Is there a point to this drivel?

I think you have mistaken what I said on the first place

The90

Feb 27, 2017
For someone who is apparently great defensively, and should be captain, he has not played like it. Nylander has been better then Mitch.
Hold on here, I thought marner was god and nylander was being burned at the stake. Or could it be that there are peaks and valleys to a hockey season?

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Has Mitch Marner been kidnapped and swapped out with a player from the OHL?
For the last five games, the guy wearing number 16 has been a complete non factor.
Does his agent still believe he deserves Auston Mathews money or should he be spending his time searching for the real Mitch Marner?

Get back under your bridge you troll

Reactions: DarkKnight

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Is there a point to this drivel?

I think you have mistaken what I said on the first place

Take a step back.

Read what you wrote, read my response.

Look up the players being commented on.

Read my response again.

I guess, look up the players again.

Read my response again.

Now you've (hopefully) gotten my point.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Has Mitch Marner been kidnapped and swapped out with a player from the OHL?
For the last five games, the guy wearing number 16 has been a complete non factor.
Does his agent still believe he deserves Auston Mathews money or should he be spending his time searching for the real Mitch Marner?
The first is a silly question. You haven't been watching the series apparently.
The second is much like the first, but a silly statement rather than a silly question.
The third is something only his agent would know and in kind follows the needlessly sensational theme of your thread starting post.

The real Mitch Marner has been doing his best and it's clear that he has been doing his best. He's been a catalyst on either side of the puck. He deserves to be paid like the premier player he is and will continue to be.

We're not done. And even if we were, none of what you've asked or stated reflects an informed person who has actually watched Mitch Marner play.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Take a step back.

Read what you wrote, read my response.

Look up the players being commented on.

Read my response again.

I guess, look up the players again.

Read my response again.

Now you've (hopefully) gotten my point.

You wrote marner plays head to head with Bergeron I replied he plays head to head with Marchand.

You seem to be running off with the thought that I am somehow diminishing marner.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
You wrote marner plays head to head with Bergeron I replied he plays head to head with Marchand.

You seem to be running off with the thought that I am somehow diminishing marner.

Well played sir.
I actually had to go back and read my own responses, just to confirm that I did, in fact, never write that at all.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Marner is fine, it's a tough go for everyone. Playoffs aren't easy especially when facing one of the top lines in the league.
More points would be nice but I think Marner and Tavares have been great.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Perhaps Mitch is being asked to do too much, and some maybe believed he was better than he is.

He's very good, but he's playing against very good players.

He isn't MacKinnon.
He (Marna) a better PK player though for example. Mackinnon can't do dat. He ain't like that. These is both offensive monstas, but Mitch got that twerk. He a real good PK killa. Mackinnon can't be spend on that.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Mitch is playing head to head against one of the best centres and lines in the game.

Not sure why that's not registering with you but then I remembered you're the Fire Babcock guy :laugh:

Does this not say “Mitch is playing head to head against one of the best centres and lines in the league”

Why the centre distinction if you aren’t implying marner is playing head to head against him. If you weren’t you would of said “best lines in the league” or more accurately “one of the best wingers in the league”

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
I do not hate marner. I love the guy.
But when Mitch, his agent and his dad are all telling the world that he should be paid like Matthews and essentially become the highest paid winger in nhl history I can't help but get extremely annoyed.
The guys just had his best year. He scored 24 goals and ranked behind several other wingers in goals and points. No, he does not make up for the lack of goal production with defence. He simply does his job on defence.
He is nowhere near the player Matthews is and does not deserve to be paid like him (or any elite center for that matter).
When you have his agent and dad spouting off to the media, you better produce when it counts most; the playoffs.
If you don't then fans are going to be really pissed off.
The only times I noticed marner for the past couple of games was when they aired his visa commercials.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Does this not say “Mitch is playing head to head against one of the best centres and lines in the league”

Why the centre distinction if you aren’t implying marner is playing head to head against him. If you weren’t you would of said “best lines in the league” or more accurately “one of the best wingers in the league”

Because his line is constantly matching up against the Bergeron line?

And if Marner is playing deep in the zone, yes, Bergeron will be tracking him as is his duty as a centreman. Not Marchand whose job is to defend his circle and point.

Why are you so hung up on this? :laugh:

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I do not hate marner. I love the guy.
But when Mitch, his agent and his dad are all telling the world that he should be paid like Matthews and essentially become the highest paid winger in nhl history I can't help but get extremely annoyed.
The guys just had his best year. He scored 24 goals and ranked behind several other wingers in goals and points. No, he does not make up for the lack of goal production with defence. He simply does his job on defence.
He is nowhere near the player Matthews is and does not deserve to be paid like him (or any elite center for that matter).
When you have his agent and dad spouting off to the media, you better produce when it counts most; the playoffs.
If you don't then fans are going to be really pissed off.
The only times I noticed marner for the past couple of games was when they aired his visa commercials.

I think they are somewhat separate issues. We can’t judge the series through the lenses of perceived contract demands in the summer.

When it comes to the contract. Comparing yourself to one of the best ELC goal scorers in the past 25 years who accomplished this feat while playing less min with rookies

when you are a playmaking winger who has scored 38th, 38th and 11th in scoring is a bit nuts.

We will see what he gets. I hope we let the rest settle first and use them as a base

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad