Proposal: Mitch Marner for young potential #1D

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
And it's not like the Leafs D is terrible. Rielly, Gardiner and Zaitsev are 3 very good defensemen. So unless an absolute monster is coming back, there is zero reason to breakup the Big 3 forwards. The same way I don't see the Jets breaking up their young core 3F of Scheifele, Laine, Ehlers.

If the Leafs traded Marner for Tanev, there would (and should) be riots in front of the ACC.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
It's funny how you'll have some fans of other teams projecting their D-men as top pairing/#1 or that potential due to underlying statistics but for years when Leaf fans did that with Gardiner or Rielly or Zaitsev the notion was completely shut down. Or how when the situation is reversed it doesn't matter.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Did I miss it, or has no one suggested Hanifin <--> Marner? Seems like someone would have thrown this out there given both teams relative yute strengths and that they were taken 1 slot apart in the 2015 draft.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Uhh pretty sure Marner has quite a bit of value too. I wouldnt say way more than Mitch. thats ridiculous.

Not really. 6'5", RH, moves well, long reach, booming shot and doesn't shy away from physical battles to say the least.

>

small scoring winger, unless you're thinking Marner is going to be as good as Pat Kane, which i guess would be personal opinion then.

Mitch obviously has a ton of value, but Parayko is the type of dman GM's salivate over.

Last edited:
Reactions: Snowman

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
It's funny how you'll have some fans of other teams projecting their D-men as top pairing/#1 or that potential due to underlying statistics but for years when Leaf fans did that with Gardiner or Rielly or Zaitsev the notion was completely shut down. Or how when the situation is reversed it doesn't matter.

All fan bases do projecting within their own forum and all fan bases down play other teams prospects/players. This is not unique to the Leafs, literally look in any trade thread.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
And it's not like the Leafs D is terrible. Rielly, Gardiner and Zaitsev are 3 very good defensemen. So unless an absolute monster is coming back, there is zero reason to breakup the Big 3 forwards. The same way I don't see the Jets breaking up their young core 3F of Scheifele, Laine, Ehlers.

If the Leafs traded Marner for Tanev, there would (and should) be riots in front of the ACC.
The jets and leafs are different in that the leafs look to contend for a division title and the jets look like they may miss the playoffs. The jets are still building. The leafs may have maxed. the top end talent they have for the next 10-15 years.

The ORB

May 27, 2009
GTA, Ontario, Canada
He doesn't get you a young, up and coming 1D. Parayko, Lindholm, Trouba, Provy etc he doesn't get you at all. They have much more value due to position. Marner is overrated and the worst of the big three imo.
If these D prospects are so much more valuable than forwards, why dont they all get drafted first?

Why did Marner get picked ahead of any D, including Hanifin, Provorov, Werenski, Chabot etc etc?

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Did I miss it, or has no one suggested Hanifin <--> Marner? Seems like someone would have thrown this out there given both teams relative yute strengths and that they were taken 1 slot apart in the 2015 draft.
No offense to Hanifin but no one mentioned him because they're not comparable in terms of value currently.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
No offense to Hanifin but no one mentioned him because they're not comparable in terms of value currently.

I agree with you, but that doesn't seem to stop a lot of trade proposals here, lol. The OP did say "potential #1 d-man" which I believe Hanifin still is, but I probably should have specified an add that would offset the additional risk that the difference in their development currently presents.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012

Fair enough. I'm a pretty big Hanifin fan and if he was a RHD I'd probably be more interested. I think he can be a top-pairing guy in the Jbo mold.
Unfortunately the Leafs are so heavy on LHD on the team and in the pipe its becoming a bit of a problem

Mar 26, 2010
To Vancouver
Mitch Marner

To Toronto
Chris Tanev
Olli Juolevi
2nd round pick

:p
Marner is not for sale. Especially for table scraps like that.

Canucks fans, you are not getting Marner or Nylander for Tanev. Stop proposing it every 2 days. Never going to happen.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Fair enough. I'm a pretty big Hanifin fan and if he was a RHD I'd probably be more interested. I think he can be a top-pairing guy in the Jbo mold.
Unfortunately the Leafs are so heavy on LHD on the team and in the pipe its becoming a bit of a problem

Similarly, from a positional perspective, if the Canes were to add much to Hanifin it would much more likely be for a center. Still, a little surprised the two names haven't been brought up in any context given that they could easily have been reversed at the 2015 draft and that many on here don't consider the level of detail that you brought up (left vs right).

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
If these D prospects are so much more valuable than forwards, why dont they all get drafted first?

Why did Marner get picked ahead of any D, including Hanifin, Provorov, Werenski, Chabot etc etc?

Because D are generally harder to project until they're actually playing against NHL players, and generally take longer to develop.

Most people want instant gratification from a top 3 or 'early' pick, and forwards are able to jump in and provide that more often than defensemen.

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
If they
Marner is not for sale. Especially for table scraps like that.

Canucks fans, you are not getting Marner or Nylander for Tanev. Stop proposing it every 2 days. Never going to happen.

If they Changed the second to an unprotected first. I would think hard about it. Since I fully expect Vancouver to be bottom 3 this year

Mar 26, 2010
If they

If they Changed the second to an unprotected first. I would think hard about it. Since I fully expect Vancouver to be bottom 3 this year
Joined yesterday. I wonder what Nucks's fans alter ego this is. lol

and NO, Marner is not for sale.

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
10 Tanev’s will not get you a sniff of Marner.

Teams do not trade players like Marner. Championships are build around guys like him.
The offer was tanev juolevi and a 2nd. I said an unconditional first and I think hard about it. That's a great package. Marner is a great young player and will only continue to develop. But you can't tell me a top 4 dman a prospect drafted top 5 and a potential top 5 pick this year doesn't make you think about making a trade. Offence isn't and won't be the leafs problem for a long time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad