Proposal: Mitch Marner for young potential #1D

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Ok Leafs fans don't freak out. I'm not advocating trading him. Just curious if any team out there would trade a young #1 potential D for him like when Columbus traded Johansen for Jones.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I wonder why the Blues with all their apparent #1 Dmen for years, Parayko, Pietrangelo and Shattenkirk didn't have more success. Or Winnipeg with all their Trouba, Buff and Myers didn't achieve more. There seems to be this illusion that having this fathom # 1 Dman brings all this success. Having a seven competent to good Dmen is more important than having this alleged #1 Dman who will instantly lead a team to success.
PS. Not saying it isn't a good trade.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Nope. We're not trading Mitch Marner. I just don't think a young defenseman solves our problems. If that is the case, Liljegren would solve all our problems next year and I wouldn't trade Marner for a 24-25 year old D.

Young D are unpredictable. Ekblad looked like a surefire superstar and now his contract looks really bad because of the multiple concussions he sustained but even without the concussions, he's never been the same as his rookie year.

I think the Leafs need for a defenseman is way overblown. They were just fine last season after taking some time to get their feet wet under Babcock's system. There is way less turnover this season and they should be a ~top 12 D unit this year.

Pittsburgh is terrible defensively and they had no problem beating a team who many believe has the best collection of defense in the league.

If the Leafs can score ~3.25-3.5 goals a game, they will go far without a single change to their D.

Last edited:
Reactions: lifelonghockeyfan

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Pi. Like what you wrote. Shultz and Hainsey were the best Dmen on the Cup winning Pens. Two top Dmen in the league, Hedman and Doughty never made the playoffs last year. But for some reason, some folks figure the Leafs absolutely need this high end/ high priced Dman. Of course, many don't take into a the cap situation. Leafs were poor defensively early last season, and then about average. Even if Leafs are just average over the course of the year this year, it might be good enough, and they still have Marner or whoever so many want to sacrifice in a trade. After the Pens first week giving up 15 goals in two games, I guess Rutherford is on the phone wanting to trade Crosby and Malkin.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I wonder why the Blues with all their apparent #1 Dmen for years, Parayko, Pietrangelo and Shattenkirk didn't have more success. Or Winnipeg with all their Trouba, Buff and Myers didn't achieve more. There seems to be this illusion that having this fathom # 1 Dman brings all this success. Having a seven competent to good Dmen is more important than having this alleged #1 Dman who will instantly lead a team to success.

Oh I don't know maybe because we haven't had consistent goaltending and our forwards went on dry spells during the playoffs. That is a very uneducated statement. Blues playoff woes have nothing to do with the defense as much as the goaltending.

Also Kevin Shattenkirk never was a #1 d man. If you look at both teams you will realize that consistency in goaltending has been the issue.

You're honestly sitting there and trying to tel me that you would rather have 7 decent d men as opposed to 7 #1 type d men?

Reactions: rumrokh

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Pi. Like what you wrote. Shultz and Hainsey were the best Dmen on the Cup winning Pens. Two top Dmen in the league, Hedman and Doughty never made the playoffs last year. But for some reason, some folks figure the Leafs absolutely need this high end/ high priced Dman. Of course, many don't take into a the cap situation. Leafs were poor defensively early last season, and then about average. Even if Leafs are just average over the course of the year this year, it might be good enough, and they still have Marner or whoever so many want to sacrifice in a trade. After the Pens first week giving up 15 goals in two games, I guess Rutherford is on the phone wanting to trade Crosby and Malkin.

I would never trade one of Nylander or Marner for a defenseman. It makes your line up weaker. The reason why we will beat teams this year is because we can roll three lines that are unmatched by 95% of this league. I doubt there is a single team besides the Leafs that has a guy who scored 20 goals on their fourth line.

There is going to be growing pains on D again this year but as the season goes on they will tighten up just like they did last year. We played 6 extremely close games (all of them went to OT) against a team that allowed the least goals against last year. We allowed nearly an entire goal more per game than the Caps last year in the regular season and it was still end to end action coin flip OT games in the playoffs.

I don't think having a potential #1D in place of Nylander or Marner would have helped us last year. Might have hurt us.

Only way the Leafs should try to acquire a #1D is through UFA. Doughty sounded like he was done in LA based on his comments. Push hard for him, otherwise continue to gradually upgrade the D. We upgraded on Polak and Hunwick this year, next year upgrade on Carrick and see if Liljegren is ready to take a spot. Go from there.

If we can get 6 guys who can skate really well, we will be fine even if there isn't a single superstar D on the roster.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
BleedBlue: Of course all teams wish they had seven # 1 Dmen. The reality is that in a cap league it is unlikely teams can accumulate so many of these alleged # 1 Dmen. And how many are there in the league. 15 at most?
If a team had a average defence they would have the rated Dman like this 15th best, 46th best, 77th, 108th, 139th, 170th, 202nd. Gee, looks something like the Leafs defence. So for Leafs fans (and please be real) if they were to get a top 10 Dman, the other six guess on the team would have the same rating.
BleedBlue. But in your post, you kinda just proved my point, having a top Dman, is no guarantee of success, which is what I was implying at the start. Gee, if goaltending was the problem in St Louis, trade Parayko and Tarachenko for Price and all the Blues problems would be solved. Of course I'm joking. Filling one hole often just creates another.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario

And ironically, we have one of those DMEN on our team now lol (Hainsey).

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA

Because we are weak at positions other than Defense such as goaltending and center which I hear are mildly important for winning the cup

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Threads like this is stupid. We all know Marner isnt going anywhere and will be a cornerstone player for years to come, so why even speculate? Parayko is damn good but I wouldnt trade Mitch for him either.

All this does is spew irrelevant nonsense back and forth

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Even Pittsburgh when they had a stacked blueline didn't have a ton of playoff success. It was only when they had great forward depth, that they went to back to back cups.

I've said for years that you do not need a #1D to win a Stanley Cup. Sure it makes things easier, but if the team is built properly, it's not a need. So while Toronto could use a little more depth on the blueline, I don't think they need a top pairing D. It would be nice, but it's far from a need. Add a couple of 4-5D between now and the TD who can move the puck up to the forwards, and I think they'll be an extremely formidable team.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Flyers wouldn't trade Provorov for Marner.

Ok. Just naming two names that I would be ok with.

I'm sure most leafs fans and management wouldn't want to trade Marner for those two names either.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Threads like this is stupid. We all know Marner isnt going anywhere and will be a cornerstone player for years to come, so why even speculate?

Might have something to do with the fact that this is...um...a discussion forum. Where people...well...discuss stuff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad