Proposal: Mitch Marner for young potential #1D

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
The offer was tanev juolevi and a 2nd. I said an unconditional first and I think hard about it. That's a great package. Marner is a great young player and will only continue to develop. But you can't tell me a top 4 dman a prospect drafted top 5 and a potential top 5 pick this year doesn't make you think about making a trade. Offence isn't and won't be the leafs problem for a long time.

That's a horrible offer for us. Juolevi wouldn't go top 10 in a re-draft and it's a stretch to say even top 15-20. No elite young player on his ELC will get traded for that, let alone Marner. Leaf fans would riot if that trade occurred.

I don't know where this top 5 pick nonsense came from but that wasn't in the OP. As an aside, the Canucks really aren't that bad. It's certainly not a given that they will finish in the bottom 3-5. And I've been saying this since the off-season.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
The offer was tanev juolevi and a 2nd. I said an unconditional first and I think hard about it. That's a great package. Marner is a great young player and will only continue to develop. But you can't tell me a top 4 dman a prospect drafted top 5 and a potential top 5 pick this year doesn't make you think about making a trade. Offence isn't and won't be the leafs problem for a long time.
value-wise I agree, I don't think that Van would do that though - probably too much to give up if they think that pick is really high

It sorta messes up our timeline too, Marner is the highest impact of those guys today...the 1st rounder could be Svechnikov/Dahlin next year, or it could be a Veleno/Tkachuk/Hughes that needs a few years until being an impact player

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
That's a horrible offer for us. Juolevi wouldn't go top 10 in a re-draft and it's a stretch to say even top 15-20. No elite young player on his ELC will get traded for that, let alone Marner. Leaf fans would riot if that trade occurred.

I don't know where this top 5 pick nonsense came from but that wasn't in the OP. As an aside, the Canucks really aren't that bad. It's certainly not a given that they will finish in the bottom 3-5. And I've been saying this since the off-season.
Buddy. I said if the offer included a first. Then you commented on my post. Is it a guarantee van finishes at the bottom. No. But I'd make a bet they finish dann close. Anyways it doesn't matter. Marner is very good and I'm happy to have him on the leafs.

Mar 26, 2010
Toronto hangs up the phone.

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
value-wise I agree, I don't think that Van would do that though - probably too much to give up if they think that pick is really high

It sorta messes up our timeline too, Marner is the highest impact of those guys today...the 1st rounder could be Svechnikov/Dahlin next year, or it could be a Veleno/Tkachuk/Hughes that needs a few years until being an impact player
Just curious if you think that marner is untouchable when it comes to trades? If not what would it take for you to not hang up the phone?

Mar 26, 2010
Just curious if you think that marner is untouchable when it comes to trades? If not what would it take for you to not hang up the phone?
No offence, but Vancouver does not have a single player that would get you Marner. Not even Horvat.

To answer your question, it would take a ridiculous overpayment to pry Marner out of Toronto. I think you would have to pry him out of Lou’s cold dead hands. None of the big 3 will be moved in T.O.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I wonder why the Blues with all their apparent #1 Dmen for years, Parayko, Pietrangelo and Shattenkirk didn't have more success. Or Winnipeg with all their Trouba, Buff and Myers didn't achieve more. There seems to be this illusion that having this fathom # 1 Dman brings all this success. Having a seven competent to good Dmen is more important than having this alleged #1 Dman who will instantly lead a team to success.
PS. Not saying it isn't a good trade.

Excellent post. Couldnt agree more about the Blues and Jets fans going head over heels about their guys with absolutely no results. Now Parayko is the next Chara?? Yeah right :laugh:

Reactions: WTG

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
I think Toronto's D just needs time and will grow internally. Trading Marner is a bad idea. Even though the Leafs made the playoffs last year and are off to a good start, remember they're still a young team and are still rebuilding in a way.

Reactions: BVG

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
I think Toronto's D just needs time and will grow internally. Trading Marner is a bad idea. Even though the Leafs made the playoffs last year and are off to a good start, remember they're still a young team and are still rebuilding in a way.
Seth Jones or Zach Werenski would fit perfect in Toronto problem is Columbus wouldn't give up either for Marner

Gandalf The Habs Fan

Oct 29, 2012
Québec
I know It won't happen but Galchenyuk+Mete+something else maybe is faire value....As a habs fan I don't want to trade Mete but we are just having a discussion

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Seth Jones or Zach Werenski would fit perfect in Toronto problem is Columbus wouldn't give up either for Marner

That's cool because we are not asking to trade up Marner for Seth or Zach...

(do you see Lou on the phone making deals for a defensman now?)

firstemperor

May 25, 2011

The Leafs aren't looking to move Marner either. We just have a lot of fans on this board that like talking hockey.

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
I wonder why the Blues with all their apparent #1 Dmen for years, Parayko, Pietrangelo and Shattenkirk didn't have more success. Or Winnipeg with all their Trouba, Buff and Myers didn't achieve more. There seems to be this illusion that having this fathom # 1 Dman brings all this success. Having a seven competent to good Dmen is more important than having this alleged #1 Dman who will instantly lead a team to success.
PS. Not saying it isn't a good trade.

Well, one could just as easily argue that having "elite offensive talent" in the way of #1 OA picks (looking at you Oilers fans) doesn't guarantee success either.

Can you build a Cup winning team without an elite Dman, sure, the Pens have done it. Can you build a Cup winning team around half-assed offense and elite defense, sure, the Ducks did it. However, more times than not there is a mix of good offense and good defense with one or 2 elite level players at each end that ends up winning the Cup (see Wings, Avs, Hawks, Bruins, etc).

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I think he's the least untouchable of the big 3, but also that it would take an overpayment to make it worthwhile to trade him. If you take him away it takes a big bite out of what should be an elite offense. So for me it's a young #1D or I keep him

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Marner has regressed horribly and looks lost out there.
The Leafs need help on D.
Senators offer Ceci, Jaros and a 3rd in 2018. Yes, the Leafs would likely be underselling but it's for the good of their franchise. :sarcasm:

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver

Geeez... I think that offer is respectable enough that it garners a conversation, rather than getting hung up on haha.

Juolevi hasn't tracked well since his draft, BUT, most people knew he was a project that was several years away from the NHL when he was selected. As such, he shouldn't really drop off much from where he should have been drafted (7th I'd say).

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Senators offer Ceci, Jaros and a 3rd in 2018. Yes, the Leafs would likely be underselling but it's for the good of their franchise. :sarcasm:
Enjoy Phaneuf......you're welcome.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I can't imagine a trade to be made between these two clubs unless its a Horvat + Juolevi for Marner type deal. Even then I'm not sure the leafs bite. Nothing against Horvat, who I feel is gonna be a low 1C or high end 2C but
this is a kid who has 65pts in his first 81 NHL games.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

Marner would lead the sens in scoring, would have tied hoffman for most pts among forwards last year.
Karlsson would get the sens marner, nothing else. Ceci might get you Kapanen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad