Mississauga Steelheads 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part One)

Smithsy

Oct 20, 2023
Seems the Gens have our number this year, good starts both games but weren't able to hold on. Depth has also become an issue, interesting pickup in Gee, unfortunately that trade likely signals that the Fibigr injury might be worse than we think.

I am more surprised that they didn't just call up Spencer on D, and trade for a forward though. Never like playing with only 10 forwards, and also lost MacDonell in the third to a hit to the head. Hope he is alright

Big win against the 67's leading to a tie for 1st place in the east heading into the holiday break. They've definitely exceeded expectations so far, let's see if they can keep it up
What is the Fibigr injury?

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
They haven't announced anything but he went into the boards awkwardly on Friday and had to leave the game early. Looked like an ankle/knee injury as he wasn't putting any weight onto the injured leg. Hoping it's not too serious and for a quick recovery

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Three scratches tonight that do not bode well: Fibigr, MacDonell, and Karmiris.

Looks like Van Volsen will be the centre between Martone and Eggleton on the second line, a good opportunity for him, and Eggleton.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
MacDonnell, Karmiris, Boudreau, Zidlicky, are scratches today on forward with Fibigr a D scratch. Also this is the second game Ivank has not dressed for. Things are getting thin, Haley is actually listed as a forward for the second game. Hopefully thery can weather it out today but they need some bodies back. At least some of the younger players are getting some quality ice time, Witkowski on the first line today with Martone and JVV.

Reactions: Steel Fishbowl

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
It's been tough sledding recently, a few injuries, a suspension and one at the World Juniors. This team doesn't have the depth of the top contenders and it is really showing.

Thankfully Boudreau is back next game, and hopefully we will hear updates on the injured players. Zidlicky could also be back depending on when Czechia is eliminated from the WJC. Also it is very evident that Fibigr is the best PP QB on the backend, the PP looks broken without him there.

We'll see what Richmond has planned for the trade deadline but with an open OA spot and tons of picks, I wouldn't mind to see a depth addition on F to help the team stay competitive this season

mtshapcott

Feb 12, 2019
Dean Loukus incoming OA from Saginaw. Can’t say I know him as we don’t see the Spirit often. Anyone have info on him?

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Dean Loukus incoming OA from Saginaw. Can’t say I know him as we don’t see the Spirit often. Anyone have info on him?
His game isn’t going to blow you away but he’s a pretty steady offensive producer. Playing well as of late. 11 points in his last 10. Built like a truck so he can get close to the net for goals from time to time. Think this is a good fit for you guys.

mtshapcott

Feb 12, 2019
I thought the 4th line (Chiarot-Eggleton-Richmond) had a great game last night in Kingston. Especially in the third period they had one or 2 shifts where the forechecking hemmed the Fronts in the whole time. It’s a shame one of them will likely sit out today to make room for Loukus

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
I thought the 4th line (Chiarot-Eggleton-Richmond) had a great game last night in Kingston. Especially in the third period they had one or 2 shifts where the forechecking hemmed the Fronts in the whole time. It’s a shame one of them will likely sit out today to make room for Loukus

True enough, especially for Eggleton, Chiarot, but they had an open OA and I like the addition Loukus. Tough problem to have, a couple weeks ago they didn't have a full lineup.

Still missing Fibigr, and Ivank has not dressed for a few games, leaving Leenders carrying the workload. Glad McDonnell and Kamiris are back though, see if they can ride some momentum from last nights shutout win in Kingston.

Reactions: Roadhog

Roadhog

May 3, 2020
Toronto
No Simpson for the Knights, Loukus wearing #12 for the fish and playing 3 RW. Chiarot sits and Witkowski to 4LW.

Attachments

• 17045722469985101586667160911602.jpg
    17045722469985101586667160911602.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Reactions: Tarantula

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
London looked like a different team as compared to the first time against Sauga, solid defensively and no give aways like their first meeting in which the Knights were basically a PEZ dispenser. Tough result but a good game.

Reactions: tjziel and Roadhog

Roadhog

May 3, 2020
Toronto
London looked like a different team as compared to the first time against Sauga, solid defensively and no give aways like their first meeting in which the Knights were basically a PEZ dispenser. Tough result but a good game.
Tough loss indeed. A whistle-happy ref waving off a Mississauga goal. Knights first was off a deflection. Cowan's goal was basically into an open net. And the bounce off the end boards misplayed by Ryerson. Should have been a 4-2 win.
Sitting 3rd in the Eastern Conference with a road game today at one of the teams above them. And likely Leenders going three-in-three. I don't like the boys chances on this one.

mtshapcott

Feb 12, 2019
London played well, but without the fluke goal, the terrible short handed giveaway by our best player and some incredibly suspect refereeing….we were right there with them!

On the refereeing…

1. How on earth do you justify a 4 minute penalty for boarding to Leskovar and then 10 minutes later when a London player does the exact same thing assess a 2 minute penalty for cross checking?
2. The Gee fight call was ridiculous. No charge against the Knight player? Karmiris call was correct and I suppose Gee instigated but how is the charge not considered the instigation
Tough loss indeed. A whistle-happy ref waving off a Mississauga goal. Knights first was off a deflection. Cowan's goal was basically into an open net. And the bounce off the end boards misplayed by Ryerson. Should have been a 4-2 win.
Sitting 3rd in the Eastern Conference with a road game today at one of the teams above them. And likely Leenders going three-in-three. I don't like the boys chances on this one.
karmiris playing his first game in his hometown. I’m looking for a multi point game from him. JR has his line starting.

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
Started out great this weekend with the 4-0 win over Kingston (seem to have had their number over the past few years) but left on a sour note losing back to back games. Thought they played well against London and were decent against Brantford.

They've lost some of that early season firepower, and Leenders hasn't been able to cover for all of the defensive lapses.

Unfortunately we're seeing some of the limitations of such a young team. However they are still competitive in every game and I couldn't really ask for more. Loukus was a cheap pickup that will improve their forward depth, wonder if the team will upgrade on Boudreau for an OA D? or if that ship has sailed at this point

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Certainly didn't see this in the forecast...

Jan. 9MISSZander VecciaGUESBY 5 2024
KIT 3 2025
GUE 2 2026
GUE 4 2027*

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
This shocked me. It’s a nice return for Veccia who was a 3rd round pick, but damn I wanted him next year as an OA.

Yeah, I liked him as a potential OA next year, but a return like that can't be dismissed. I don't see him flipping the needle for Guelph, like the return, but what are the prices going to be like next year when the Steelheads will be all in, best to get some high currency before hand. JVV looks better when he's playing the top two lines, hopefully this trade works out well, room for the bench to shine as well.

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
If it was simply to add more picks to the cupboard I would have traded Van Volsen who hasn’t outplayed Veccia by any stretch and likely would have returned a lot more considering his age and 1st rounder pedigree.

It was the combination of the Veccia value this year vs next year. I think the Steelheads will flip their entire OA group next year. The cost of replacing Veccia with a quality OA is likely a 2nd, 3rd, and 5th. For that package, they will get a better player. So, not only will they end up with a better player, they will also likely come out of it with an extra 4th round pick. The only thing they truly sacrifice is Veccia for a few months.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Fibigr is back though listed as the 7th d, still no Ivank, Leenders getting another start. Wolves have a few shiny new guys especially on D tonight, Should be a good game. Sauga is the most penalized team in the league, cut down on the non necessary minors will be a big factor how they do tonight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad