Mississauga Steelheads 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part One)

Roadhog

May 3, 2020
Toronto
I had posted previously about the possibility of signing Litvinov from the Junior Canadians. Haven't looked at his numbers lately, but he's a guy with CHL experience. And they have an OA spot open.

Reactions: Tarantula
Jul 6, 2008
GTA
I was impressed with quite a bit today, Zidlicky was clearly motivated against his prior team, his work and tenacity led to the first goal.

Me as well, I like the import, and Von Ritcher seems to pair well with him. I find Sharpe's defensive play has really improved, and it seems like a good top 4 defensively. Saw some extended play in Sauga's D zone, but they weren't back on their heels for very long.

Great to see them atop of the league as a developing squad with a two year window. Of course it won't last, top teams will build up and as the season goes on and things will settle where they may for a younger team, but the potential here is going to be something to watch.
Agree with all you said

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
I see, hope Ivank is back soon, doesn't sound like this will be working solution long term this season going forward.
I agree, wonder if they can make a small trade for a 3rd goalie with OHL experience, or if there's an FA out there that fits the bill. Can't see any of their goaltending prospects sign to sit behind Leenders/Ivankovic for their entire career. Is also even more important with Ivankovic off to the U17 Worlds next week.

Dezoete off to Guelph, opens up a spot for Witkowski to get into more games and for Chiarot to hopefully make his debut soon.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
I know Dezoete was only in Mississauga for a cup of coffee, but any notes on what we should expect? What line was he on in Mississauga?

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
I know Dezoete was only in Mississauga for a cup of coffee, but any notes on what we should expect? What line was he on in Mississauga?
He showed promise when he played in Peterborough. He played with Tucker Robertson, Connor Lockhart, Nick Lardis, Jax Dubois, Jonathan Melee, Sahil Panwar and Chase Stillman at various times last year before he was traded. He played on almost every line. He started out strong early in the season when he played on the top lines. His production decreases when he played on the checking lines later in the first last year.

Reactions: StormWatcher
Jul 6, 2008
GTA
1st period thoughts..

Good chemistry between Von Richter and Fibigr on the D to D passes and quick out to the NZ.

Fibigr 2 great defensive plays on the PK to get the puck cleared and another one on a later shift. Won a board battle against Thibodeau in his own zone. Good keep at the blueline in the OZ. I like his mobility and clearly so do the Steelheads, the puck goes through him everytime he's on the ice. Even had a shift where he was behind the Fronts net. Also took the hit to make the play at the blueline. Good stuff.

Von Richter had a good clear on the PK, shot block on a later shift. A couple good hard shot attempts from the point. Good NZ pokecheck to disrupt the Fronts zone entry.

Martone active in the NZ clogging up lanes. Good deception along the boards leading to a scoring chance off his pass. Nice primary assist on the Boudreau goal.

Misa active in the OZ with a scoring chance and a pass that led to another one.

Ivankovic wasn't busy but made the saves when he had to. I enjoy his game, can't believe how young he is.

Steelheads are the most penalized team in the OHL so far this season. I'm torn because I enjoy watching Martone PK but they should probably try to clamp down on that. Leskovar yelling "Get Up" at the Fronts player on the penalty he took, shoutout to the camera operator in MISS for catching that.

Good forecheck by MacDonell to draw the penalty.

Jul 6, 2008
GTA
2nd period thoughts..

Tone is picking up. The two most penalized teams in the league and it's getting chippier out there. Surprised that wasn't a major penalty for the crosscheck to Martone.

Ivankovic makes a couple more big saves, got beaten on a one-timer. I like how aggressive he is on the PK, coming out of the crease to play bigger than he is. Noticed him play the puck in the 1st but he made a great outlet pass to lead to a passing play between Boudreau, Van Volsen and Martone.

Nice read by Van Volsen in the NZ to intercept the pass. Good DZ faceoff win. Good PK'er.

Quick backcheck by Misa, opens up on 3 on 1 the other way but pass doesn't get back to him. Had another shift with a zone entry and good pass to his linemate

Fibigr distrupts the Thiboedeau play at the blueline. QB's everything - whether its the DZ or OZ the Steelheads love getting him touches. Good pinch and keep at the Fronts blueline. He intercepted a pass on a 2 on 2 rush by KGN and makes the play out of the zone while taking the hit.

Another good period from MacDonell. Active forecheck with good energy and vision when he comes up with the puck.

Martone was robbed. He should've drawn a penalty on that power move for the breakaway and in my opinion that cross-check was a major penalty but the refs rescinded it in favour of a minor. You can tell he's frustrating the KGN defenders. Always a handful.

Jul 6, 2008
GTA
3rd period thoughts..

It's Porter Martone's world, we just get to live in it. Him and Misa look dangerous. Him and MacDonell look dangerous. Hell, if you put him out there with me I'm sure he'd make me look dangerous. A hattrick for him plus the primary assist on Boudreaus goal. Love the way he cycles the puck with his linemates for sustained zone time. His first goal was a carbon copy of the tic-tac-toe we saw a few games ago. His puck retrieval skills are top tier with great reach and it's hard for people to take it back from him. Also had some smaller parts of the game that go unnoticed; streaked for the outlet pass on the PK, it didn't get to him so he circled back and was actually the one to clear it deep when he did get it.

Misa looked good, especially in the 3rd. The lone exception would be when he attempted to clear it on his backhand through the slot while shorthanded. Just rim that around the boards next time. Offensively no issues, good use of his speed and creativity. Like his compete on the 2nd Martone goal to chip the puck into the slot after his speedy rush. He also won a footrace negating an icing, leading to a cycle by the Steelheads.

Glad to see Fibigr get up from that late hit. I thought he had a phenomenal game. I did notice that him and Von Richter got split.. not sure if that was just due to all the penalties or not. Von Richter with a couple of assists. Not as flashy of a game but super effective and I like his zone entries on the PP

Van Volsen just under 50% in the faceoff circle but an effective all situation forward. Won 3 OZ faceoffs in a row at one point during the 3rd.

Harding and Zebeski both with 4 shots tonight.

Love the effort level from MacDonell. 50% on draws tonight (10/20)

Ivankovic is so poised at 16. Small goalie (at this point) but the way he battles and tracks the 2nd/3rd chance opportunities is impressive. Him and Leenders are a treat to watch. Wish him the best at the U17's.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Ivank a scratch tonight...

Knew Sauga would return to a regular orbit but hoping they snap the two game losing streak (3 out of 4) and return the favour to Barrie for their last meeting.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Road trip to Kingston and Ottawa. I'd be OK with a split personally, Kingston is a different team since they replaced "old yeller" with a qualified coach. Ottawa is a well coached team and Sauga has had their hands full the last few years against them, especially on the road. Hopefully the penalty box parade calms down somewhat this weekend.

Leenders has not been able to keep up his season start but TBH, there was no realistic way he could. He still is making high light saves, I would like to see the Dcorps tighten up in their own zone limit the big opportunities.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
I thought that handsome young fella who had the shoot for a car in the second intermission was very impressive. Great shot. They should give him the car because it was so close.

I'm probably somewhat slow but I'm guessing that "handsome young fella" with the great shot looks back at you in the mirror every morning! :naughty:

Reactions: mtshapcott

mtshapcott

Feb 12, 2019
I'm probably somewhat slow but I'm guessing that "handsome young fella" with the great shot looks back at you in the mirror every morning! :naughty:
I was also worried about Kingston. I bought the CHL stream package for November because we have so many road games and “scouted” Kingston on Wednesday in their school day game Vs Ottawa. They looked so good and last night we made them look somewhat ordinary. Although I was nervous when they made it 5-3 early in the third.

Side note: the Kingston broadcast team might be the best I’ve heard. Very professional with no home team bias.

Smithsy

Oct 20, 2023
Any update on where this team could play next season? I belive the teams lease is up with the rink at the end of this year.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Nice win last night vs Peterboro, chippy from the start, and their first meeting this season. I like how they stick up for each other but the penalties need to be reduced. Only 2 teams have over 300 penalty minutes, and Sauga is one of them. Tough 3 in 3 with a roadie against a much better Otters team sandwiched between the two home games, I expect them to have their hands full tonight in Erie and tomorrow against the Soo.

I thought the game was closer the the score would indicate. For a sophmore Leenders continues to impress.

Like watching Misa, he certainly began to find his way after last years trade deadline with the increased role he inherited. Also I've noticed Eggleton seems to be hitting his stride this year. Van Volson was a scratch last night, wonder if he is nursing something, it is flu season.

Reactions: Roadhog and dirty12

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Ivankovic first OHL shutout on 48 shots to wreck eries teddy bear toss. You guys got a good one holy crap
It's quite the tandem, will be interesting to see how it plays out going forward, I'm sure one will be flipped for assets, my guess is the next offseason, but that's a guess.

How do I redeem buddy vouchers or a unused ticket? I've never done it since they switched from a physical ticket book to the virtual, TIA!

Reactions: frontsfan67

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Line up posted, #14 JVV a scratch, hoping he's back soon as I wanted him to establish a true role. He's gotten better results on face offs since the season began. He hasn't seemed to find his way since coming here the way that Martone and McDonnell have been able to.

Four points in the bank this weekend so far, first 2 against a well playing conference rival (Peterboro) and the next night got a shutout and another clean pair of points on the road against an improved Erie squad. Soo has a pretty solid team, I'd be happy if they get a point to go 5/6, I'm thinking it could go either way.

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
Tough game against the Soo, you could tell they had a day off between games and were fired up from puck drop.

As Tarantula mentioned, they really need to stay out of the box. Was not impressed with MacGregor Richmond taking a couple of poor penalties that both led to Soo PP goals.

4/6 is not bad at all with two convincing wins. Hope they can keep it rolling tomorrow vs Guelph.

Last note, the goaltending continues to be outstanding. Likely the best goaltending tandem in the league and as 17/16 years old....wow

zaluty

May 30, 2007
Kingston
The problem with your goaltending is both deserve to be a number 1. Probably not this year but sometime down the line one of them will want to be traded to showcase themselves as a number 1. It is a good problem because you will receive a nice package for one of them.

Reactions: RB76 and Tarantula

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
The problem with your goaltending is both deserve to be a number 1. Probably not this year but sometime down the line one of them will want to be traded to showcase themselves as a number 1. It is a good problem because you will receive a nice package for one of them.

I'm sure that has to be the plan when they drafted Ivank so high. Leenders looked pretty solid as a rookie and this is his draft year so of course he'll get the bulk of the work with Ivank being a rookie. However next year will be his draft year and no doubt will want to be a #1 and getting a good workload himself. Something will give in the offseason I'd expect, should be able to grab a modest return. Wonder with their surprise start and no one looking like a power house in the East if they don't " budget" possible off season acquisitions and perhaps do a "soft" buy at the deadline with some their picks they've already stock piled? Will certainly be a interesting trade deadline this year league wide.

Kai Schwindt in exchange for Guelph’s ninth-round pick… they have a spot open and Schwindt has played for Sarnia. Seems odd since they have a spot open and a relationship since they've drafted his older brother Cole and traded for his younger brother's rights.

Reactions: Steel Fishbowl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad