Mississauga Steelheads 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part One)

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I’m sure you guys have seen this already but I saw a post on Instagram saying you guys may get relocated to Brampton as early as next year? Have you heard anything about that?

mtshapcott

Feb 12, 2019
I’m sure you guys have seen this already but I saw a post on Instagram saying you guys may get relocated to Brampton as early as next year? Have you heard anything about that?
I have not heard that. Doesn’t seem to make much sense unless the lease deal at the Powerade (or whatever it’s called now) blows Hershey (or whatever it’s called now) away.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I believe the steelheads committed to a one year lease in the off-season. I don’t remember if it was for this year, or a one year extension beyond this season. I do remember it being said to be an opportunity for Missassaga to show it wants the team.
I thought the threat at the time was to move to Hamilton in two years

• Wow
Reactions: frontsfan67

Roadhog

May 3, 2020
Toronto

I believe the steelheads committed to a one year lease in the off-season. I don’t remember if it was for this year, or a one year extension beyond this season. I do remember it being said to be an opportunity for Missassaga to show it wants the team.
I thought the threat at the time was to move to Hamilton in two years
One-year extension for 23-24.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
They won't fare much better in Brampton attendance wise, the lease would have to be more favorable then Mississauga. Mr. Kerr has complained about lease negotiations with Mississauga in the past.

If that's the case then at least they are still close enough for me to continue being a STH, unlike a move elsewhere.

The trademark design does seem to confirm them moving this off-season.

Roadhog

May 3, 2020
Toronto
They won't fare much better in Brampton attendance wise, the lease would have to be more favorable then Mississauga. Mr. Kerr has complained about lease negotiations with Mississauga in the past.

If that's the case then at least they are still close enough for me to continue being a STH, unlike a move elsewhere.

Reading a thread on Reddit, one poster said his/her buddy looked at buying season tix, but bussing to the arena from Meadowvale wasn't viable. That's puzzling. I'm in Scarborough, and it's 2 hours door to door for me easy peasy with a bus stop right outside the rink. I refuse to drive the 401 across the city if I can help it. Going to Brampton, for me at least, takes a little more planning and was a longer trip IIRC.

Reactions: Tarantula

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Reading a thread on Reddit, one poster said his/her buddy looked at buying season tix, but bussing to the arena from Meadowvale wasn't viable. That's puzzling. I'm in Scarborough, and it's 2 hours door to door for me easy peasy with a bus stop right outside the rink. I refuse to drive the 401 across the city if I can help it. Going to Brampton, for me at least, takes a little more planning and was a longer trip IIRC.

I live 20 minutes away by car from the rink. Would take 1 hr 15 min by transit, and there's over a km of walking involved each way, so I don't doubt Meadowvale would be a hassle.

Actually the Powerade Centre would be a slightly less drive by a few minutes for me but I doubt that applies to many of the current STHs or regulars.

Reactions: Roadhog

Jawk

Sep 29, 2021
I live 20 minutes away by car from the rink. Would take 1 hr 15 min by transit, and there's over a km of walking involved each way, so I don't doubt Meadowvale would be a hassle.

Actually the Powerade Centre would be a slightly less drive by a few minutes for me but I doubt that applies to many of the current STHs or regulars.
Sucks for fans like you if the team moves, atleast the drive won't be too bad.

The Bulldogs move took my drive from 10 to 45 minutes. Niagaras rink is actually slightly closer to me now.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis

Brampton is an Asian Pacific community; they never have particularly cared for hockey and those teams long were subsidized; if they are to get fans, it'll have to existing Steelheads fans or opposition coming in.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Glad to see the two points in regulation against a div opponent though the net minding was the difference, IMHO.

Good to see Ivan k back friday, he does not look like a rookie by any stretch and lightening the work load of Leenders. Spoiled having these two.

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
MLSE moving ECHL team to Missy

They don't own an ECHL team to move.

According to ECHL website, ECHL’s Newfoundland Growlers of St. John’s are an affiliate of Marlies and Leafs. If the move is true, this will be unfortunate for the fans of St. John’s as TML remove an affiliate for a second time.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
I haven’t been to the Brampton arena in ages since the Battalion were there, but if nothing has changed, not a good move to say the least lol. That arena is cavernous with zero atmosphere. It’ll be by far the worst arena to watch a game in across the entire league.

yacky

Jun 28, 2018
I haven’t been to the Brampton arena in ages since the Battalion were there, but if nothing has changed, not a good move to say the least lol. That arena is cavernous with zero atmosphere. It’ll be by far the worst arena to watch a game in across the entire league.
cant be any worse than watching a tv feed from Missy

hardclimate

Jan 7, 2015
Sucks for fans like you if the team moves, atleast the drive won't be too bad.

The Bulldogs move took my drive from 10 to 45 minutes. Niagaras rink is actually slightly closer to me now.
Missy to Hamilton would have been good namewise - Hamilton Steelheads makes a good name for a steel city.

mtshapcott

Feb 12, 2019
The CAA is smaller than the PFFC so I wouldn’t call it cavernous. The atmosphere at a Missy game is non existent. The only noise comes when the scoreboard requests it and then it’s piped in from the speakers anyway. It’s a horrendous game experience. The music is so loud you can’t carry a conversation during stoppages in play. Everything about Mississauga is terrible except the players. I will support them in Brampton (shorter drive for me too)

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
The CAA is smaller than the PFFC so I wouldn’t call it cavernous. The atmosphere at a Missy game is non existent. The only noise comes when the scoreboard requests it and then it’s piped in from the speakers anyway. It’s a horrendous game experience. The music is so loud you can’t carry a conversation during stoppages in play. Everything about Mississauga is terrible except the players. I will support them in Brampton (shorter drive for me too)

Every point I agree with, at times at the PFFC you honestly could hear the jumbo jets taking off from Pearson.

The music is so loud it's distorted, it could easily be turned down some, still be loud and much less aggravating to at least talk to someone. I just hope I can get aisle seats on the redline like I do now. It's a slightly shorter drive, but I do have the luxury of less then a half hour drive to either one.

I liked the PFFC though, I went to all 15 OHL arenas (Brantford pending) and the rise angle of the seats gave a better view 10 rows up or so then some more modern arenas. Hope the beer nut guy follows them, always bought an extra one to take home.

The Mikestro

Apr 5, 2015
Hamilton, ON
For the first three months of the 2021-22 season, I used to be a communications intern for the Steelheads when they returned to play hockey after the COVID shutdown. The staff was great to work with and learn from. It is tough when the arena isn’t accessible by transit and outside of the airport a few km away.

With that said, I hope the team becomes a good draw for the region, as they should be competitive for the OHL Championship next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad