Mississauga Steelheads 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part One)

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I listened to the game against Guelph on the radio and it seemed that Ivankovic stole the game. Were the Steelheads badly outplayed?
The ice was heavily tilted for periods 2 & 3, I did not see any of the 1st period. A lot of Guelph shots also missed the net, maybe another sign Ivankovic played incredibly well.

Reactions: Tarantula

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
I listened to the game against Guelph on the radio and it seemed that Ivankovic stole the game. Were the Steelheads badly outplayed?

Guelph certainly owned the third period, wasn't able to catch the first two.

Exciting start of the season for the Steelheads.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Looking forward to what should be a test for the Steelheads and seeing the younger Misa play. He was injured last year when Saginaw rolled into town.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Speaking of today's and tomorrow's games what does everyone think of the 4 PM puck drop. I'm not really a fan, kind of splits the day up awkwardly for me, especially when it's both days of the weekend. I know they sent a poll out before the season so I guess enough people were in favour of it.

mtshapcott

Feb 12, 2019
Speaking of today's and tomorrow's games what does everyone think of the 4 PM puck drop. I'm not really a fan, kind of splits the day up awkwardly for me, especially when it's both days of the weekend. I know they sent a poll out before the season so I guess enough people were in favour of it.
It allows me plenty of time to play 18 holes before game time. I love it. 😄

Reactions: Torts and Tarantula

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Looking forward to what should be a test for the Steelheads and seeing the younger Misa play. He was injured last year when Saginaw rolled into town.

This aged well, once again the younger Misa was a scratch due to injury and wasn't on the ice.

2nd night in two where they were outshot and gave up good scoring chances and their netminding was the difference. They're winning some games they shouldn't and it certainly won't project the way it has for the rest of the season, but I'd take this team against what they had a year ago when they were expected to make a run. Getting Martone and McDonell for the next couple of seasons seems arguably worth what they sent to Sarnia, let alone the draft picks, both players have been great here.

I've become a fan of S Leskovar as well, not flashy like some we've had here, Hauge, Harley, and DelMastro by any stretch but he's pretty solid.

Erie is back in town tomorrow, not a good start for Stan Butler's team so far, would be nice to snag another point or two if possible to cap the weekend.

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
This aged well, once again the younger Misa was a scratch due to injury and wasn't on the ice.

2nd night in two where they were outshot and gave up good scoring chances and their netminding was the difference. They're winning some games they shouldn't and it certainly won't project the way it has for the rest of the season, but I'd take this team against what they had a year ago when they were expected to make a run. Getting Martone and McDonell for the next couple of seasons seems arguably worth what they sent to Sarnia, let alone the draft picks, both players have been great here.

I again tried to watch Michael Misa live only to find out an hour before the game that he wouldn't be playing, might have to try and catch him at a Storm or Rangers game to get a live viewing this season.

The Steelheads played relatively well on Friday for a road game against a strong Storm team, Ivankovic definitely held them in late in the 3rd. Saginaw had the Steelheads on the ropes, Leenders was the main reason they came out with the win.

I've become a fan of S Leskovar as well, not flashy like some we've had here, Hauge, Harley, and DelMastro by any stretch but he's pretty solid.

I can appreciate what Leskovar brings to the table but I thought he could have hurt the team on Saturday with 2 dumb penalties in the 3rd. If he can stay out of the box then I can see him as an effective part of the defence.

Erie is back in town tomorrow, not a good start for Stan Butler's team so far, would be nice to snag another point or two if possible to cap the weekend.

Glad that the Steelheads seem to have the Otters' number, what a great game by everyone on the team but especially Luke Misa. I admit I was concerned that he may have another gear. Turns out I was well wrong, looks way more confident out there and his shot is now a weapon

Jul 6, 2008
GTA
Some thoughts after the 1st..

Ivankovic is incredible for being 16 years old. Kid doesn't stop battling, huge save on the 2 on 1 and even the shot that beat him his positioning was decent, he just got beat.

Von Richter had a few good shifts, Specifically; he broke up a 2 on 1 one shift, a couple shifts later he had a point shot on net, got back on D quickly and had a zone exit and then on his last shift of the period he flipped a puck into the neutral zone while all the Steelheads were gassed but avoided taking the icing.

Martone, great finish at full speed on the 2 on 1, nice pass by Zidlicky and outlet by Van Volsen. What effort at the end of the period to earn what should have been a penalty shot IMO, still earning a PP with less than a second left in the period is always a good thing for a young player to do. Impressed that both Martone and Misa were put out for the last minute of the period.

Jul 6, 2008
GTA
Some thoughts after the 1st..

Ivankovic is incredible for being 16 years old. Kid doesn't stop battling, huge save on the 2 on 1 and even the shot that beat him his positioning was decent, he just got beat.

Von Richter had a few good shifts, Specifically; he broke up a 2 on 1 one shift, a couple shifts later he had a point shot on net, got back on D quickly and had a zone exit and then on his last shift of the period he flipped a puck into the neutral zone while all the Steelheads were gassed but avoided taking the icing.

Martone, great finish at full speed on the 2 on 1, nice pass by Zidlicky and outlet by Van Volsen. What effort at the end of the period to earn what should have been a penalty shot IMO, still earning a PP with less than a second left in the period is always a good thing for a young player to do. Impressed that both Martone and Misa were put out for the last minute of the period.
2nd period...

5 goal 2nd period for NB

Unfortunate that Ivankovic got shaken up and had to leave the game. Leenders came in and made a hell of a save on the first chance he faced, unfortunately he didn't do as well on the 2nd attempt or many of the others. Definitely don't fault him, it's always tough to come in without a warmup and it's showing.

man, Martone is impressive. 3 for him tonight (so far) Obvious nose for the puck but on his hattrick goal he kept his head up and read the play the entire time, he was in the right spot to tap it in but not by accident.

Weak call on Leskovar but good kill by the Steelheads.

I thought Procyszyn had a good 2nd period for the Battalion as a draft eligible player, primary A on Romani's first goal and a dangerous rush with some strength towards the end of the period.

Steelheads need to find some saves in the 3rd and contain Wakely and Romani

Jul 6, 2008
GTA
What a game!

Steelheads didn't quit and Leenders settled in well for the 3rd.

What can you say about Martone? The strength/composure on that 6th MISS goal was great.

Martone is a hell of a player, really noticed him in the playoffs last year. Entertaining game. Hope your rook goalie is alright, another stud in the making
Ivankovic is so much fun to watch. I hope he's not too banged up. Steelheads goaltending is stacked.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Rangers in town today, looks like recently returned Mesar (Canadiens) is making the trip but won't see the ice today.

Any word on Ivank? Will be interesting to see the lineup today once it's posted and who the BUG is. Hopefully Ivank is or will be back soon, would not like to see a high first rounder have his development delayed by injury.

Reactions: three dog night

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Martone is a hell of a player, really noticed him in the playoffs last year. Entertaining game. Hope your rook goalie is alright, another stud in the making

For a rookie Martone was very noticeable from the time he got here and McDonnell as well. It really did seem the team was actually better overall after the unexpected "sell" last season. A team just isn't a list of good players, chemistry and effort is more important as we saw last year. Really like what those two bring every game.

Van Volson with some points, looks like the team is spreading out the talent on the tops lines lately.

Luke Misa has greatly improved and I'd still like to see him on the top line. Wonder what his chances of getting drafted this year or sign a FA deal. I think the odds of him getting some pro attention is higher then Hardie who was neglected in the draft despite high production.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
For a rookie Martone was very noticeable from the time he got here and McDonnell as well. It really did seem the team was actually better overall after the unexpected "sell" last season. A team just isn't a list of good players, chemistry and effort is more important as we saw last year. Really like what those two bring every game.

Van Volson with some points, looks like the team is spreading out the talent on the tops lines lately.

Luke Misa has greatly improved and I'd still like to see him on the top line. Wonder what his chances of getting drafted this year or sign a FA deal. I think the odds of him getting some pro attention is higher then Hardie who was neglected in the draft despite high production.
Misa should be drafted for sure. He’s on the small side but he’s skilled and he’s Michael Misa’s brother lol. I’d say top 3-4 rounds. If his production stays the way it is top 1-2 rounds. He could be the big riser for this draft.

Roadhog

May 3, 2020
Toronto
Rangers in town today, looks like recently returned Mesar (Canadiens) is making the trip but won't see the ice today.

Any word on Ivank? Will be interesting to see the lineup today once it's posted and who the BUG is. Hopefully Ivank is or will be back soon, would not like to see a high first rounder have his development delayed by injury.
Anthony Paolini is up from Schomberg Jr. C for Ivank. 4-1-0 2.41 .914 in 5 games. I was at the Rangers game vs WSR last Sunday, I think they'll be a bigger test than SAG was expected to be.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2008
GTA

I think Misa will get selected. He's around the 15 mark for OHL skaters that are draft eligible on most lists I've seen... A strong season and he could move up a bit.

Jul 6, 2008
GTA
Some thoughts on the 1st period..

These jersey combinations are NOT it. Both teams wearing blue helmets, neither team wearing whites, and both teams rocking a whole lot of blue.

Big hit by Misaljevic causes a scrum and gets everyone into the game early. Refs missed a spear on Martone.

Steelheads forecheck as a team was solid. Thought the 4th line did well.

Martone had a good zone entry which led to a shot. He also got robbed on a SH breakaway. I was impressed when he came into win the draw when his centre got kicked from the circle. He's always dangerous out there

I thought both Von Richter and Fibigr had great periods. Von Richter alleviated the pressure in his own zone that led to the Steelheads first goal. He made a couple other sound defensive plays. Fibigr despite his delay of game penalty was everywhere in the 1st. Great read of the play to pinch at the line and keep the puck in. Also the shift where he tried the hail mary pass that didn't work out he got the puck back and had a zone entry + nice pass that led to a scoring chance.

Misa had a great period. Robbed on a scoring chance but he stuck with it and was able to centre the puck to the slot for what could have been a secondary scoring chance. He had a zone exit leading to a MISS rush. On the Steelheads 2nd goal he helped the centre win the draw and made the pass to the open man in the slot for the goal.

Leenders looked great as usual. Hopefully that knock towards the end of the period didn't do any damage.

Linesmen reeeeeeeally want to get the faceoffs right. I counted at least 4 instances where someone was kicked out of the circle, including with 11:43 left in the period when BOTH teams centres got kicked

Roadhog

May 3, 2020
Toronto
I like Boudreau's compete level. Didn't see what happened behind the net, but he eventually got up and skated the entire length of the ice, made a couple hits, and then went off to the room for a couple minutes.

Jul 6, 2008
GTA
2nd period thoughts...

RYERSON LEENDERS. What a period. About 5-6 crazy saves, I don't even think he knows how to give up a rebound even if he wanted to. Rehkopf didn't even try to pick a corner he just tried to shoot it as hard as he could, you can tell Leenders is frustrating the Rangers forwards.

Really liking the young pairing of Von Richter and Fibigr. Both of them are great at making the little plays to get the team from DZone to NZ or OZone and both can get the puck on net from the point.

Great period from Misa despite the penalty. Tonnes of scoring chances. Looks like he's playing the wing for the most part this afternoon (0/2 in the faceoff circle).

Martone is a handful. Doesn't matter if it's even strength, PP, PK or 4 on 4. His combination of speed, skill and size is going to cause issues for most teams. I like when he adds that edge to his game, a couple of whacks to the goalie just before the whistle, mixing it up post-whistle. He also looks good in the faceoff circle (when needed) for a winger.

Great power forward move by Dezoete for the 3rd Steelheads goal

Also want to acknowledge the heart play made by Boudreau when he was down for 15-20 seconds on the ice but got up and separated his man from the puck and skated it out for the zone exit to the NZ. Love to see it.

I like Boudreau's compete level. Didn't see what happened behind the net, but he eventually got up and skated the entire length of the ice, made a couple hits, and then went off to the room for a couple minutes.
Agree. All heart on that shift. And when he came back for his next shift he got right into the play.

Jul 6, 2008
GTA
3rd period thoughts...

Leenders starts right where he left off with 3 saves right on the doorstep. Phenomenal performance by him today. Rehkopf finally got one by him after looking frustrated all afternoon. Kitchener had 36 shots and only beat him once, his rebound control was impeccable.

Angus MacDonell is a beast in the faceoff circle. 19/23 on draws and had about 50% of the Steelheads 40 total faceoff wins today.

Misa active period. Dynamic speed and a handful of zone entries including two on one shift. Made something out of nothing on the 1v3 that led to the Van Volsen shot on the PK.

Van Volson active stick in the passing lanes, great forecheck and neutral zone play and a scoring chance as well.

I think my favourite situation to watch Martone is when he kills PK. Tough to decide though. Good to see him get on the scoresheet with the ENG but he was all over the ice before that. Frustrating the Rangers and lots to like from his play this afternoon. Hell of a game. I like how savvy he is with his stick defensively.

Veccia?!?!? You can't do that up 3 goals and your goalie is on a shutout. He looked like he was playing tee ball.

Fibigr a couple good plays, one where he cleared the puck to the NZ from in front of the crease and than the rush where his shot hit the side of the net. Impressed by him today, even with the 2 penalties.

Steelheads played a hell of a game today. The forechecking structure is awesome. PK is great. Offensive players look dangerous and the D core is solid defensively while moving the puck. I liked the energy Boudreau brought today and that pairing of Von Richter and Fibigr as they play more together will get better and better.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
I was impressed with quite a bit today, Zidlicky was clearly motivated against his prior team, his work and tenacity led to the first goal.
Really liking the young pairing of Von Richter and Fibigr. Both of them are great at making the little plays to get the team from DZone to NZ or OZone and both can get the puck on net from the point.

Me as well, I like the import, and Von Ritcher seems to pair well with him. I find Sharpe's defensive play has really improved, and it seems like a good top 4 defensively. Saw some extended play in Sauga's D zone, but they weren't back on their heels for very long.

Great to see them atop of the league as a developing squad with a two year window. Of course it won't last, top teams will build up and as the season goes on and things will settle where they may for a younger team, but the potential here is going to be something to watch.

Reactions: Roadhog

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Anthony Paolini is up from Schomberg Jr. C for Ivank. 4-1-0 2.41 .914 in 5 games. I was at the Rangers game vs WSR last Sunday, I think they'll be a bigger test than SAG was expected to be.

I see, hope Ivank is back soon, doesn't sound like this will be working solution long term this season going forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad