Mississauga Steelheads 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Lazurus again, he seems to have his best games against the Trout during the playoffs. Is it possible to Grandfather in the goalie ban on imports by tomorrow at 2:00 pm?

Wolf2406

Jan 15, 2018
Not the outcome we hoped for. The fish only have a few hours to lick their wounds and be ready fo an afternoon game tomorrow. Pretty crummy scheduling IMO but.....
Go Trout!

Reactions: Tarantula

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Not the outcome we hoped for. The fish only have a few hours to lick their wounds and be ready fo an afternoon game tomorrow. Pretty crummy scheduling IMO but.....
Go Trout!
Yes, I thought of that myself and wondered if a afternoon game would be more appropriate today, but on the other hand both teams play the same games and same travel. Maybe "Brickwall" Leo will be a tad sleepy. I just ordered 20 large pizzas to his Billet address for last delivery.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Double anchovies as well, it's how I roll, about to secure game 7 tickets in Barrie as I have faith there will be one!

Reactions: OSA

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Do or die today, I would guess Ingham will be in net. No Michnac last night, wonder if he was a scratch or hurt.
Expect the Trout to come out flying today, hope they can get a couple behind Lazurus early. That guy seems to play his best against Missy.

Wolf2406

Jan 15, 2018
Do or die today, I would guess Ingham will be in net. No Michnac last night, wonder if he was a scratch or hurt.
Expect the Trout to come out flying today, hope they can get a couple behind Lazurus early. That guy seems to play his best against Missy.
A couple were not enough this afternoon. Sorry to see the season end. Hope they stay In Missy next year. Think I will buy seasons tickets next year. Hope they do well with the midget draft. JR is in my opinion a pretty good coach.
Go Fish

Buzzin

Apr 1, 2018
So now..... when will we find out where this team is heading for next season!

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Can Tippett and M. McLeod report to their respective NHL teams or do rules prevent this?

Deif

Sep 20, 2014
So now..... when will we find out where this team is heading for next season!
It will be quite the roster turnover.

Graduating
Foget (F)
Fox (F)
Gibson (D)

Likely gone, Overagers
M. McLeod (F)
Hague (D)
Moverare (D)

Returning Overagers
McKinnon (F)
Carter (F)
Michnac (F)
O'Grady (D)
Vella (G) (doesn't count as an overage spot)

Forwards
McKinnon (98)
Carter (98)
Michnac (98)
Tippett (99)
R. McLeod (99)
Little (00)
Canade (00)
Washkurak (01)
Schwindt (01)
Varga (01)

Defense
O'Grady (98)
Wells (99)
Walker (00)
Hardy (00)
Harley (01)

Goaltenders
Ingham (00)
Vella (98)

Not sure if there are any other 2001s ready to step in (assuming no Jack Hughes), and four 2002s will be added to the lineup, as well an import spot will be opened up with Moverare graduating (possibly).

It will be a busy offseason for sure, lots of holes need to be filled to make this team competitive next season.

Personally, I don't think McKinnon would make for a quality overager, so I hope he gets replaced. I don't love O'Grady but given how weak our defense is next season I am sure he will be back. We will need steps forward from our group of 2000s including Ingham and 2001s to be competitive. As well, there is a chance Michnac doesn't return, but he could be back for his overage season.

Thoughts?

SteelBud

Apr 1, 2018
It will be quite the roster turnover.

Graduating
Foget (F)
Fox (F)
Gibson (D)

Likely gone, Overagers
M. McLeod (F)
Hague (D)
Moverare (D)

Returning Overagers
McKinnon (F)
Carter (F)
Michnac (F)
O'Grady (D)
Vella (G) (doesn't count as an overage spot)

Forwards
McKinnon (98)
Carter (98)
Michnac (98)
Tippett (99)
R. McLeod (99)
Little (00)
Canade (00)
Washkurak (01)
Schwindt (01)
Varga (01)

Defense
O'Grady (98)
Wells (99)
Walker (00)
Hardy (00)
Harley (01)

Goaltenders
Ingham (00)
Vella (98)

Not sure if there are any other 2001s ready to step in (assuming no Jack Hughes), and four 2002s will be added to the lineup, as well an import spot will be opened up with Moverare graduating (possibly).

It will be a busy offseason for sure, lots of holes need to be filled to make this team competitive next season.

Personally, I don't think McKinnon would make for a quality overager, so I hope he gets replaced. I don't love O'Grady but given how weak our defense is next season I am sure he will be back. We will need steps forward from our group of 2000s including Ingham and 2001s to be competitive. As well, there is a chance Michnac doesn't return, but he could be back for his overage season.

Thoughts?
Next year will be quite interesting with regard to the roster. I guess the only way Tippett does not return is if he makes the NHL.

The big wildcard going into next year is if Hughes actually commits (or any other of the US players drafted last year, though appears unlikely). Hughes would be intriguing. Not only because he makes the team better, but I guarantee he would help boast attendance next year, which is most important IMO.

If Hughes doesn’t commit, I wouldn’t be surprised to see management trade some assets and restock the draft cupboard and do a rebuild. Tippett (if he’s back) would get an enormous return.
This is one of the more interesting off seasons in recent memory, it all starts with draft l. Saturday!

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
If Tippet doesn't stick NHL wise he has to return to the O, as Mikey did this year. McLeod will be a pro next year, either with the Devils or their farm team in Utica as is N Bastian.

Lots to watch next year as the second McLeod continues to almost literally grow. I expect a better season from Ingham, he can be incredible at times and then cold as tap water. I am sure he will play more like a veteran next season.

Been a head shaking season, saw some great plays and saw some instant tire fires, junior hockey.

I am disappointed, but mostly as I enjoyed going to games and had hoped to fill another month with good hockey.

Puck Rounder

Apr 1, 2018
If Tippet doesn't stick NHL wise he has to return to the O, as Mikey did this year. McLeod will be a pro next year, either with the Devils or their farm team in Utica as is N Bastian.

Lots to watch next year as the second McLeod continues to almost literally grow. I expect a better season from Ingham, he can be incredible at times and then cold as tap water. I am sure he will play more like a veteran next season.

Been a head shaking season, saw some great plays and saw some instant tire fires, junior hockey.

I am disappointed, but mostly as I enjoyed going to games and had hoped to fill another month with good hockey.

Too much talent for 7th place finish.
Big divide between JR and players.

BarDownskie

Feb 3, 2018
The trout had the Colts chasing the puck for the 1st 30 minutes of the game. Big saves from Ingham and fairly sound defensively for what they had. The second half though. That was just the svechnikov show. The move he made when he came out of the box in the 2nd and the pass he made to Luchuck was a thing of beauty. It's not hard to see why he's a top 3 pick. Size, skating, hands, speed. He's got it all. I thought Tippett played a great game the bounces just didn't go his way. He had atleast 3 "grade A" chances alone. Mcloed came out ready to play from the start. I thought he and Tippett were the hardest workers on the ice today. You could really see the emotions when barrie went up 5-2. I wasn't impressed by fox's game I don't know if it was just an off day today but he looked almost clumsy (can't think of a better description) I'd think Hague will be back next year as he needs improvement on his passes out of his own zone. That will come with time. I see the trout selling next year and given Tippett is sent back he will be the prize of the deadline. Granted getting Tippett back is a coin toss he's already got his 1st NHL goal and stayed up with Florida for some time. Regardless of where Tippett goes he will be on the World junior team. IMO. I think it's time for the team to reset and rebuild, and I really hope the Steelheads stay in missy. The Hershey centre is by far my favourite rink to watch the OHL. On a side note given the Steelheads sell at the deadline, Hague would fit nicely in Guelph IMHO, as they will be fairly thin on the back end with the graduation of Garrett McFadden and Mark Shoemaker.

Last edited:

MJFAN

Sep 17, 2015
I think same goaltending tandem of Ingham-Vella will get a shot next year as Vella proved to be decent option and Ingham should improve on what can only be considered a disappointing year.

Interesting to see a 5"9 goalie in LL for Barrie play so well and maybe an outlier for his size but speaks to OHL model of continuing to draft large goalies with potential instead of good goalies regardless of size.

Lastly if Euro goalie ban lifted and goalies don't count on OA # next year you could see Fish look at another option.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I think same goaltending tandem of Ingham-Vella will get a shot next year as Vella proved to be decent option and Ingham should improve on what can only be considered a disappointing year.

Interesting to see a 5"9 goalie in LL for Barrie play so well and maybe an outlier for his size but speaks to OHL model of continuing to draft large goalies with potential instead of good goalies regardless of size.

Lastly if Euro goalie ban lifted and goalies don't count on OA # next year you could see Fish look at another option.

It’s not just the ohl, it’s lead by the nhl.

they’re not doing it just to screw small goalies, they’re doing it because there’s data and logic to support it.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Not a huge O'Grady fan either, he seemed steady when he arrived but I saw him make some real questionable plays at times like he wasn't paying attention.
I expect Ingham to be better next year, more was expected from him and goaltending would be their consistant weakness overall. Many of the games they lost they outshot and outplayed the opposition overall.

Hughes would be great, but otherwise I would think this might be a selling year, their draft board has a few holes.

I hope Vella can return as a over ager and not count, has that been made official yet, or still rumoured?

The Trout will be here next year at least, I am renewing my ST, I went to 15 arenas this year and the Hersh is one of the best overall. Lots to keep a eye on this offseason!

Draft Sat, see how the off season unfolds. Disappointing year overall, if they had steady average goaltending they likely would have finished high enough to open the playoffs at home and would likely have won at least one round. They had some other breakdowns as well of course.

Steelman

Sep 26, 2016
Mcleod, Tippett, Hague, Moverare, Fox and Foget will all be gone next year and Jack Hughes will not report. The team will be bottom of the barrel next year. You might see Tippett half way through the year if he struggles, but Florida has no depth up front. Mo will start in the AHL 100%, might see him return if he struggles. Hague and Mcleod are 100% AHL ready

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Forwards
McKinnon (98)
Carter (98)
Michnac (98)
Tippett (99)
R. McLeod (99)
Little (00)
Canade (00)
Washkurak (01)
Schwindt (01)
Varga (01)[/QUOTE

What about Cameron Gaylor? I just figured he must have been injured?
He is still listed on the team site but it doesn't seem up to date.

Puck Rounder

Apr 1, 2018
This team underachieved huge all season.
Time for a change behind the bench.
How do you feel if your Michnac, CHL player of the week then get buried in the lineup. He won’t be back.
They all stopped playing for coach in December then mailed it in the first round.
No one wants to come back. Tippet and R.mcLeod will want traded come October if there here.

Ingham will be left to hold the bag.
No playoffs next year. Hardly made it this year with stud lineup.

Future good for Harley and Ingham.

JR got mugged at trade deadline.
Gave up waaaay too much.
Need someone in here to clean up the mess.
Shanahan available ??

Niagara
Oshawa
Barrie
Pete
NB
Kingston
Ottawa
Ham
All on the rise

Sudbury
Mississauga