Mississauga Steelheads 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Yes, it was strange having no game this weekend but the next few days will be full with three games. Could be a few twists and turns, hopefully the Trout can keep up the good work, especially defensively. I see Barrie coming out tonight on fire as they have their back to the wall in a sense, not wanting to go down 2.

SteelGirl

Jan 21, 2018
A few of us are making the trek up to Barrie tonight. I agree, the Colts will be on fire and will want to be first out of the post (no pun intended). Hoping for another great game, in our favour. I'm guessing Ingham will get the start again?

Reactions: Tarantula

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
I would believe so, he played well in the win, though the first goal should have been stopped, and I don't believe Vella has any playoff exp. I can't see changing goalies now, not after that win.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Discipline was missing tonight, Hague can't be taking penalties for stick work. They killed it and had a poor pinch after which went down the ice and in the net. Barrie kills you with their crisp passing in the offensive zone with a odd man rush.

The Trout had a lead going into the third however and how about R Mc, nice goal, and sane to the next number up the list 92, Washaruk, his first in the playoffs. He has been a stronger player as his rookie season wound down.

Still have home ice, and the Trout had chances to close the score if not possibly tie it in the third when they were down 4-2. Some discipline and home ice tomorrow while everything is still fresh on their minds should make for a good game.

Reactions: SteelGirl

Wolf2406

Jan 15, 2018
Discipline was missing tonight, Hague can't be taking penalties for stick work. They killed it and had a poor pinch after which went down the ice and in the net. Barrie kills you with their crisp passing in the offensive zone with a odd man rush.

The Trout had a lead going into the third however and how about R Mc, nice goal, and sane to the next number up the list 92, Washaruk, his first in the playoffs. He has been a stronger player as his rookie season wound down.

Still have home ice, and the Trout had chances to close the score if not possibly tie it in the third when they were down 4-2. Some discipline and home ice tomorrow while everything is still fresh on their minds should make for a good game.
I hope it is. The Russian kid in goal for the Colts had a pretty good game last night. As usual the fish had lots of chances. They got away from the cycle game and got back to run and gun IMO.
Too much dippsy doodling both in both end too many turnovers.
They bit too often when the Colt pests got into their faces.
Hope they get enough fans tonight to bring some energy to the chocolate factory.
Penalties really mess up the match ups and line combinations.
Go Fish!

Wolf2406

Jan 15, 2018
Tarantula you are truly a Steelhead enthusiast! It is great to see. They are truly an exciting team. The rookies look promising and the fact they will get a top five or six in this year’s draft is a positive part of finishing low in the standings this year. The youngest McLeod kid will provide an excellent top three centerman to build around next season. Lots to be optimistic about.
I checked and they have the 8th pick in the OHL draft this year.

Last edited:

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Thanks, oh that Lazurus was in net for Ottawa during last years playoffs and stopped 50 one game.
Hoping for a good crowd tonight as well, hopefully the Trout play more patient tonight as well.

Reactions: Wolf2406

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Nice game, M McLeod and Tippet both scored and the Trout fended off Barrie for the series lead. By no means decided, but nice to see the Trout with the lead as Barrie will counter on Thurs.

Quite a few chances for both sides considering the score.

R McLeod is playing like he did during the playoffs last year, three games in so far, big plays in big games.

Reactions: Steel Fishbowl

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
Solid game for the Steelheads and that makes it all three games that they have outplayed the Colts in my opinion. It was amazing to see how much Mikey wanted to win that game, this team knows that they are too talented to go out in the first round and is going to put up a fight right until the end

Wolf2406

Jan 15, 2018
Solid game for the Steelheads and that makes it all three games that they have outplayed the Colts in my opinion. It was amazing to see how much Mikey wanted to win that game, this team knows that they are too talented to go out in the first round and is going to put up a fight right until the end
I totally agree. Mike has taken on a leadership role. The team as a whole is deeper than the Colts IMO- the fish’s third and fourth lines are out hustling and winning puck battles and the top two lines outplayed the Colt’s best two lines last night as well. The pesky guys on the Trouts are really getting under Luchuk’s skin.
Hope they can carry last night’s energy into Thursday. Got tickets to the game- hope there is a good turnout.
I would hate to see the Steelheads move. Go Fish!!

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
The Trout are giving them all they can handle. Thought this was the team we would see this season, glad to see them playing like this. Hope they take advantage of the last game the Barrie kid is suspended for. I know we get Foget back as well, but that is advantage Barrie.

Reactions: Steel Fishbowl

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
I totally agree. Mike has taken on a leadership role. The team as a whole is deeper than the Colts IMO- the fish’s third and fourth lines are out hustling and winning puck battles and the top two lines outplayed the Colt’s best two lines last night as well. The pesky guys on the Trouts are really getting under Luchuk’s skin.
Hope they can carry last night’s energy into Thursday. Got tickets to the game- hope there is a good turnout.
I would hate to see the Steelheads move. Go Fish!!

The depth has been key, Barrie isn't getting much out of their team outside of their first line. If they're going to win they need to take game 4 before the Colts get Svechnikov back as well as home ice.

Hopefully we will see more fans starting to come out, especially with the report coming out about the Steelheads owner potentially looking into selling the team and/or relocation

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Owner talking about selling or moving the team yesterday prior to Barrie game due to poor attendance.

It seems the only hockey in Toronto support are the Leafs. Junior hockey is great hockey, and never seem to get off the ground in Missy.

Wolf2406

Jan 15, 2018
Owner talking about selling or moving the team yesterday prior to Barrie game due to poor attendance.

It seems the only hockey in Toronto support are the Leafs. Junior hockey is great hockey, and never seem to get off the ground in

I enjoy watching OHL more than the NHL.It is great to see the 16 year olds develop & grow.
It easy to be a fan of excellent hockey at a reasonable price. Go Fish

Reactions: cub

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
I have been checking attendance around the league, seems like a few places are lower then one might have thought. Hopefully more turn out, missing some great hockey.
Hopefully they will stay but it's more than having more people turn out here and there,you have to have a season tickets base Oshawa's season tickets base is around 3000 and I think London's there is a waiting list for seasons tickets. hopefully something can be worked out with the city :thumbu:

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
On the other hand they doubled their corporate sponsors this year. There are a few reasons for attendance issues here, the largest being Mississauga is not a stand alone city, the main media is all Toronto based. There are 2 sports stations in the GTA, all they talk about are the Leafs, Raps and Jays. Only the Fan 590 mentions the Steelheads at all, and that is just on updates. For local Steelhead news the secondary Mississauga community paper is the only option, most people hardly read a major newspaper anymore, let alone a secondary one. There is nothing around the arena, nothing, no transit. The location would have had a better chance at Square One, at least it is a hub for transit and activity.

E Kerr was on Prime Time Sports prior to the home opener back in Sept. He wants the city to develop around the Arena, and wanted some other concessions. I believe a short term lease will likely be signed, but who knows after that. They already have sold the arena naming rights to a restaurant named Paramount. At least Humber College is now showing the games on tv, since Rogers bailed out of town.

While the Steelheads leaving is a real possibility seems like attendance has been down throughout a few places as well this playoff season. Peterborough was the subject of speculation last year, so has Hamilton, rink issues for both. North Bay hasn't been drawing any better the Missy this year, Ottawa had under two grand last game.

I do see Elliot K selling at some point. He has been forthright about not living with these losses forever, but only a few markets in the O are solid money makers.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Good point as well about the season ticket base, Missy is low. However I checked ticketmaster to see if the seat next to me was sold as I may bring someone along, but it is sold and so are many others in that section, looks like a better crowd tomorrow.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Big game tonight, either Barrie has their backs to the wall or it becomes the best of three after tonight. I got to think that it will be a higher scoring game, not 2-1 like the last one.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Tough loss, Mikey had a great game and the Trout deserved better. Best out of three now with Missy needing a win at Barrie.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Yes, 16 seconds into OT, ouch! I thought it would end fast, not quite that fast.

Better crowd tonight, saw a good game, too bad about the result. Things get interesting now series wise, after four games they must be getting somewhat annoyed witheach other, que game 5.

Wolf2406

Jan 15, 2018
Tough loss for the trout after out shooting the Colts and winning more than their share of puck battles.
It will be nice to see Forget back. He is a pesky skilled centre who is responsible defensively as well as a scoring threat. He and Tippett have some real chemistry.
Big game in Barrie on Saturday. It would be nice if the fish could get a win and finish off the Colts on Sunday. I have arranged Easter Dinner for a later time so I can go and watch them play on Sunday.
Have a great Easter celebration and remind yourselves of all that it represents. It is my favourite time of year, everything comes alive again.
Go Steelheads!

Last edited:

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Good points, that was a hard one to lose since they have been IMHO the better team over all. The Trout get Foget back, but the Colts get their star player back as well from suspension, I am a horrible speller, so that is why I am referring to him in this mamner, no disrespect.

Veteran move shuffling dinner plans for the game on Sunday! What are we having? Lol!

Wolf2406

Jan 15, 2018
Good points, that was a hard one to lose since they have been IMHO the better team over all. The Trout get Foget back, but the Colts get their star player back as well from suspension, I am a horrible speller, so that is why I am referring to him in this mamner, no disrespect.

Veteran move shuffling dinner plans for the game on Sunday! What are we having? Lol!
I’m predicting that Matt Foget has a good game tonight. Go Fish!
Happy Easter ya all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad