Mississauga Steelheads 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deif

Sep 20, 2014
You're right, Gaylor should be back, I don't expect much of a contribution however. Any of Gaylor, McFarland or Titus could see their way onto the roster in depth roles.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
How does taking Jack Hughes last year impact the draft for Missy? Is there a compensation pick in lieu of a player who won't report?

I have already heard talk about him being first overall two NHL drafts from now, probably from 550 am Buffalo. Was that a reasonable gamble to take him with a first round?

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
How does taking Jack Hughes last year impact the draft for Missy? Is there a compensation pick in lieu of a player who won't report?

I have already heard talk about him being first overall two NHL drafts from now, probably from 550 am Buffalo. Was that a reasonable gamble to take him with a first round?

It was a huge gamble because teams cannot use the defect rule for compensation in consecutive years

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
They had 2 firsts last year as a result of the Russian they traded to Barrie originally as he wouldn't report, sorry I am bad at spelling names, so no go for the Hughes pick?

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Then why draft him, I know he is a hot prospect but they had to know it wasn't very likely he would report, they need a solid player with that pick considering how they would be thinning out after this year.

Buzzin

Apr 1, 2018
This team is going to be in a massive rebuild and if you know the Hughes family there is ZERO chance of the kid coming to play OHL.... especially here.

KeeganPBO84

Mar 21, 2018
This team underachieved huge all season.
Time for a change behind the bench.
How do you feel if your Michnac, CHL player of the week then get buried in the lineup. He won’t be back.
They all stopped playing for coach in December then mailed it in the first round.
No one wants to come back. Tippet and R.mcLeod will want traded come October if there here.

Ingham will be left to hold the bag.
No playoffs next year. Hardly made it this year with stud lineup.

Future good for Harley and Ingham.

JR got mugged at trade deadline.
Gave up waaaay too much.
Need someone in here to clean up the mess.
Shanahan available ??

Niagara
Oshawa
Barrie
Pete
NB
Kingston
Ottawa
Ham
All on the rise

Sudbury
Mississauga
Leaking oil

do you think he gets fired??

Buzzin

Apr 1, 2018
How do you feel if your Michnac, CHL player of the week then get buried in the lineup. He won’t be back.
They all stopped playing for coach in December then mailed it in the first round.
No one wants to come back. Tippet and R.mcLeod will want traded come October if there here.

Gave up waaaay too much.
Shanahan available ??

Niagara
Oshawa
Barrie
Pete
NB
Kingston
Ottawa
Ham
All on the rise

Sudbury
Mississauga
Leaking oil

I’m assuming Inghams agent will be wanting him moved as well. Struggled this year with a good team in front of him and I doubt very much they will want to stick around and see what numbers may look like during a rebuild. Two very important years coming up for the kid and will want to play behind a strong club.

INTENTIONALLYOFFSIDE

Feb 20, 2017
Buzzin, that is another problem with the Canadian development model; goalies don't want to work through adversity so they ask for a trade to play on a stronger team. You do realize that Patrick Roy won nothing in Junior, never had a G.A.A below 4 and had to battle every night....look how he turned out. Ingham had a under performing but skilled team in front of him and the issues on D caused some trouble for him but I didn't see much of an advancement in his skills the entire year.
It definitely showed in the playoffs as the team picked up their play and the goaltenders didn't.

Buzzin

Apr 1, 2018
Buzzin, that is another problem with the Canadian development model; goalies don't want to work through adversity so they ask for a trade to play on a stronger team. You do realize that Patrick Roy won nothing in Junior, never had a G.A.A below 4 and had to battle every night....look how he turned out. Ingham had a under performing but skilled team in front of him and the issues on D caused some trouble for him but I didn't see much of an advancement in his skills the entire year.
It definitely showed in the playoffs as the team picked up their play and the goaltenders didn't.

I agree 100% with the Roy comparison. Difference was Roy had impressive save%. GAA don’t really mean much. Tells you what the team in front of a goalie looks like rather than an indication of a goalies skill. It’s that save% that a goalie can’t hide from. Kids and agents would rather not deal with always defending a kids numbers to scouts. They always want the easy route nowadays.

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
Disappointing end to a disappointing season. They had a few good runs throughout the season but were never able to get everything to click. I think this team was really hurt by the injury to Moverare, they were so dependent on him and Hague and when he went down they had no one to replace his minutes.

This years team was let down hard by both their goaltending and defence. Close to the worst tandem SV% in the league and easily the worst of any playoff starter. And talking about their defence, Hague is unquestionably a #1 dman in this league but was playing way too much and you could tell he was burned out in the playoffs. After that you have O'Grady who is maybe a #4, Harley started to play a bit better as did Walker but no one else was able to step up into a top 4 role. I had hoped that Gibby would have been able to take a step up this season but I am glad he was able to finish his career in a Steelheads uniform. Lots to digest and it will be a drastically different team on the ice next year but it was a treat to be able to watch a stars like M. McLeod and Hague during their time here!

Reactions: Tarantula

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
Also the posters talking about the teams compete level and coaching staff is a bunch of BS. I have never seen a player try to will his team to victory like Mikey and coach JR does have this team under control. Unfortunately they didn't have enough depth to compete with the top teams in this league and could not win a playoff series trying to run 6F and 3D essentially

Reactions: Tarantula

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Goaltending was a big factor for most of the season, and they were thin on the D. They still played better then the results they generally got, but it is on to next year now.

INTENTIONALLYOFFSIDE

Feb 20, 2017
Buzzin, I understand your stats reference and agree about scouts looking at numbers. FYI...Roy had average at best save%...mid 800's. The reason why I gave Roy as a comparison was because of his battle, his attitude and unwavering confidence in himself. Ingham is a good young goalie who missed the boat on some important lessons this year. Playing last year behind a strong team gave him a false impression of himself and to scouts....Sub 3 GAA and 900+ save% as a 16 year put him at elite status. Unfortunately it was all window dressing as this year was a battle year and he was too self absorbed in himself, his stats and draft status to learn and improve.
He has the skills and should bounce back.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
I know I enjoyed watching 9 McLeod and will miss seeing him chase down a puck in his defensive corner then lead a rush a pass later into the other teams end. He hustled and hit as well, great player for the Steelheads.

Steelman

Sep 26, 2016

Gave up waaaay too much.
Shanahan available ??

Niagara
Oshawa
Barrie
Pete
NB
Kingston
Ottawa
Ham
All on the rise

Sudbury
Mississauga
Leaking oil

You obviously weren't around much last year, you know they made the OHL finals right? It was JR's first year coaching in the OHL and he made the finals, now you want him gone? This team had 5/6 good players and that's it, no depth, half their team was borderline ohl players and your blaming someone who's the first year GM. LOL

Obviously a disappointing year by projections at the start of the year but that happens, James Boyd couldn't draft if his life depending on it and you blame JR. LOL

This team won the Eastern Conference last year, winning it two years in a row is hard, rebuilds are necessary in the OHL. Figure it out

KeeganPBO84

Mar 21, 2018
You obviously weren't around much last year, you know they made the OHL finals right? It was JR's first year coaching in the OHL and he made the finals, now you want him gone? This team had 5/6 good players and that's it, no depth, half their team was borderline ohl players and your blaming someone who's the first year GM. LOL

Obviously a disappointing year by projections at the start of the year but that happens, James Boyd couldn't draft if his life depending on it and you blame JR. LOL

This team won the Eastern Conference last year, winning it two years in a row is hard, rebuilds are necessary in the OHL. Figure it out
Im not a steelheads fan but i like to follow them because im near by. do you think being the GM and the coach is to much responsiblity like it was for James Boyd? The moves at the deadline make me think the coach shouldnt be your gm too

Steelman

Sep 26, 2016
You can look at it in a couple of ways. First is the team could have beat Barrie, but they didn't get good goaltending and a couple other reasons. The addition of Foget, Carter and O'Grady made the team better this year, with the potential of having 2 of them back as OA's. They were good addition for mid to high level picks.

Second is the team lost to barrie, they gave up picks they could have used to draft and they could have also sold offf HUGE and got ALOT for Mcleod, Hague, Tipett, Moverare, Fox and so on.

Everyone has a problem with deadline moves when the team loses, it's just how it is. If the team wins, JR looks like a genius. This team could have won this year, they just didn't. They could have sold huge and been REALLY good in about 2 years but they didn't, its just the way she goes.

Having someone Coach and GM is not ideal but the budget demands it for some teams.

MJFAN

Sep 17, 2015
I think Ingham stays with Fish and has very good year 2018-2019. Easier to stand out on mid pack team

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Tough year for the kid, he can and did make several highlight saves, but he seemed to run cold, going down too early and getting beat up top. Seemed to be a pattern, however he didn't enjoy the same D he had the year before.

He should be better next year with another year under him.

Reactions: Steel Fishbowl

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
Who is more deserving of the Max Kaminsky trophy this year?? Nic Hague or Evan Bouchard?? Both had an amazing year, and I’m gonna stay impartial... ;)

Wolf2406

Jan 15, 2018
The fish certainly missed the Swedish defenseman for sure, soft goals hurt them as well.
Firing JR is certainly not called for. The three kids that he brought in at the deadline all contributed and IMO exceeded expectations The four game suspension to Forget really hurt the team and really exposed their lack of depth. They played in the playoffs with rookie defence men taking on big roles and inexperience hurt them a lot. And I don’t think having your owner announce three games into the playoffs that he wants to sell the team does a lot for team moral and security.
I don’t feel the doom and gloom feelings some folks are painting is merited.
They have a number of young players who will arrive at the end of the summer bigger stronger and faster.
They will get a #8 prospect in the draft, according to those in the know(whoever they are) that are saying this year’s draft is deeper than some in the recent past. I hope the team doesn’t move and JR stays.
Cheers
Wolf2406

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad