Speculation: Mirtle/TheLeafReport trading Zaitsev or Hainsey

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I think trading a guy who had a good rookie season and slumped a bit in his sophomore season is a good way to get BURNED.

Especially with some injury issues during that season. The guy has had past success, it's short-sighted and foolish to trade him after he struggled one season. I much rather discover it was the "sophomore slump" because of his bounce-back season on the Leafs than some other team. We're hurting for D, taking another look at Zaitsev doesn't cost any more.
His struggles were there in his rookie year. I can see hoping for improvement, but these didn't pop up in year 2 alone.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I would earmark Zaitsev for continual evaluation and possibly trade because of his contract, but he could also stabilize and be a cheap Anton Stralman type. So healthy skepticism, but prepared for different outcomes.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
His struggles were there in his rookie year. I can see hoping for improvement, but these didn't pop up in year 2 alone.

Not to mention his production in that first season was completely reliant on the PP....

It’s questionable how good he really was to begin with

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
I would earmark Zaitsev for continual evaluation and possibly trade because of his contract, but he could also stabilize and be a cheap Anton Stralman type. So healthy skepticism, but prepared for different outcomes.

While I agree with the thought process, the problem is you shouldn't have to be gambling on this type of 'will he, won't he' after you give the player the 7yr term. These are the questions your suppose to figure out before hand. If the outcome isn't in your favour that's a tough pill for a team that needs the cap room.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008

Trading a guy for slumping in his sophomore year and struggling in his rookie season (yet still exceeding expectation) is a horrible reason to trade a guy.

These are the deals that haunt you later on.

Reactions: Cams

The Kessel Run

Jun 7, 2011
Trading a guy for slumping in his sophomore year and struggling in his rookie season (yet still exceeding expectation) is a horrible reason to trade a guy.

Given the length and value of his contract and quality of performance, I can certainly understand why management would entertain options that send him elsewhere. I like the guy and want him to succeed, but he's one more poor season from albatross country.

Reactions: BertCorbeau

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Given the length and value of his contract and quality of performance, I can certainly understand why management would entertain options that send him elsewhere. I like the guy and want him to succeed, but he's one more poor season from albatross country.

If the Leafs sign Tavares, I would be more eager to move Zaitsev. That contract could look bad as early as next year, and with JT the Leafs wouldn't have much room for "bad" contracts.

Then again Zaitsev does not have a NTC kick in until next July. So they can move him "easier" but if his value tanks, that will make a trade more difficult with little assets in return.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
While I agree with the thought process, the problem is you shouldn't have to be gambling on this type of 'will he, won't he' after you give the player the 7yr term. These are the questions your suppose to figure out before hand. If the outcome isn't in your favour that's a tough pill for a team that needs the cap room.

It was a head scratcher at the time and it remains one now, so the best the Leafs can do is preserve value, evaluate and make a decision so he isn't a cap hindrance.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Trading a guy for slumping in his struggling in his rookie season (yet still exceeding expectation) is a horrible reason to trade a guy.

You'd be trading him because he isn't very good and you need to improve.

He may improve to a higher level, but that's no guarantee and it's tough to wait too long with his current deal.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Sell high, buy low. No point trying to trade Zaitsev at this point. He isn’t the first and won’t be the last to have a disappointing sophomore season. With good health, he may well have a better season this year.

Reactions: Cams and Mork

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
I would be curious on the return for a Zaitsev. I've never been sold on him, but D are hard to come by, so you might get a strong return.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Zaitsev may have had a bad season but I think the last type of move Dubas would do is selling as low as Zaitsev would currently get

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
I think you let Zaitsev play this year, and reevaluate after this season, before he's NTC kicks in. He's a RHD in his mid 20's, we know the demand there is for this kind of player. I don't think it will be hard to trade him if we do decide to go that route, no rush needed.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Possible, but I imagine they'd want someone more proven. I'd love to see Holl up with the Leafs this year, and I imagine they'll want to give Marincin another shot as he was great for the Marlies.

If this is the case, then they are in trouble. Holl is a career minor leaguer. Sure he had a crazy debut last season, and too many on here are way to excited about his potential, but let's be realistic. He is only in the lineup for the Leafs as an emergency call up/injury replacement. Marincin makes the Leafs D better by being on the Marlies. Only way he should be on the team is a 7/8 guy on defense.

I'd rather Borgman and/or Rosen be up. Plus...Carrick is better that Holl as an NHL player.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I think you let Zaitsev play this year, and reevaluate after this season, before he's NTC kicks in. He's a RHD in his mid 20's, we know the demand there is for this kind of player. I don't think it will be hard to trade him if we do decide to go that route, no rush needed.

I agree. His cap makes no difference this season anyway.

I think a fair amount of his struggles were in his usage.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

Yeah they'd be selling low on him for sure. I'm thinking (hoping) he can only get better

Zrinski

Oct 10, 2010
I know I'm on a bit of an island in these parts, but I believe Zaitsev can return to his rookie form and wouldn't want to move him. Hainsey I wouldn't be upset to see gone, but a little surprised given how few options we have to replace him with at this point. IMO Borgman/Rosen won't both be ready to handle a full NHL season.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Mirtle: Analyzing the Toronto Maple Leafs' 2018-19 depth...

"Don’t rule out Kyle Dubas promoting multiple Marlies defencemen. And potentially moving some of the incumbent veterans out in trades.

I’d be surprised if six of the seven members of the blueline next season are those listed on the depth chart here. The Leafs defence needs a retooling, and that’s something management is working on currently."

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
With the exception of Rielly and Dermott, I'd be okay with a total overhaul of the backend.

Rielly-???
Dermott-???
???-???

Looks better already lol

Machinae

Jul 6, 2007
Mississauga, ON
Rielly - *****
Dermott - Holl
Borgman - Carrick
Hainsey / Rosen / Marincin / Ozhiganov

You literally can't get worse than last years group.. Would be interested to see if they could turn Gardiner and/or Zaitsev into that coveted right hand d-man to play with Morgan Rielly.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Rielly - *****
Dermott - Holl
Borgman - Carrick

You literally can't get worse than last years group.. Would be interested to see if they could turn Gardiner and/or Zaitsev into that coveted right hand d-man to play with Morgan Rielly.
While i admit last years group was a tire fire at times...with this proposed back end we would be hard pressed to see the playoffs. Also, Zaitsev was Rielly's D partner his whole first year. So quick answer, no.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Rielly - *****
Dermott - Holl
Borgman - Carrick

Then why did not we give up much more goals?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad