Speculation: Mirtle/TheLeafReport trading Zaitsev or Hainsey

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
So you have no nothing to say and your come up with this nonsense.

I have plenty to say.

There are certain defenders in the league that carry the puck and try to make scoring chances happen. They tend to not be the penalty killers of then NHL. That's ok. They have their strengths and they should always play to their strengths. But suggest that Gardiner be used to kill penalties is a little out there.

Perhaps you could dig up some statistical blip where somewhere down the line he killed a penalty. I just don't see it. I have been watching him play since he was a Marlie and I cannot remember a time when he killed a penalty.

I suppose anything is possible under Dubas, but several coaches have already not used Gardiner to kill penalties.

Reactions: FifthLine

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I have plenty to say.

There are certain defenders in the league that carry the puck and try to make scoring chances happen. They tend to not be the penalty killers of then NHL. That's ok. They have their strengths and they should always play to their strengths. But suggest that Gardiner be used to kill penalties is a little out there.

Perhaps you could dig up some statistical blip where somewhere down the line he killed a penalty. I just don't see it. I have been watching him play since he was a Marlie and I cannot remember a time when he killed a penalty.

I suppose anything is possible under Dubas, but several coaches have already not used Gardiner to kill penalties.
What are you talking about. Haisney and Polak And Zeitsev was the subject and if they were trade, you said who would kill penalties and I said Rielly should be on to start every PK and why. And also included Gardiner as well.

Both would be vastly better then Polak and Haisney as they both lack the skating ability to create puck battles. Something in today’s games is needed in today’s game. Playing a box does not work, same as giving up the ice outside of the dots and sagging into the house all the time as clearly seen by our lack of PK success this past season. The year before we were much better on the pk and we used Rielly as our first Pair Pk d man.

Reactions: Menzinger

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
What are you talking about. Haisney and Polak And Zeitsev was the subject and if they were trade, you said who would kill penalties and I said Rielly should be on to start every PK and why. And also included Gardiner as well.

Both would be vastly better then Polak and Haisney as they both lack the skating ability to create puck battles. Something in today’s games is needed in today’s game. Playing a box does not work, same as giving up the ice outside of the dots and sagging into the house all the time as clearly seen by our lack of PK success this past season. The year before we were much better on the pk and we used Rielly as our first Pair Pk d man.

It's like people forget Kaberle was one of our best PK options because he was able to exit the zone almost every time he got the puck. He was like a pressure valve out there, he helped keep the other 3 guys fresh instead of chasing and blocking the puck for a minute straight.

Reactions: diceman934

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Zaitsev was good in the playoffs and very good at the World Cup, I guess he'll bounce back next season.
But Kyle was against giving him that contract so he might not be in his plans.

Anything under 5 years and it would have made sense, but Lou acted like he was locking up Duncan Keith or something, and Zaitsev clearly isn't.

But I would take the time to rebuild his value before dumping him or see if he can be salvaged over the long run.

On a stable franchise, you don't need to make rash decisions and throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Reactions: Menzinger

HandshakeLineRespect

Respect in the Handshake Line
Apr 17, 2017
Brampton
I expect Zaitsev to be much better this year. Last year was the first year of his new deal I’m sure he felt pressure to preform, had injury issues, birth of a child, came down with an illness where he lost a ton of weight. Those are a lot of things that could have contributed to his lack lustre season.

Reactions: Cams

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
I think our defense is garbage and wouldn't mind seeing any of them gone
Especially Gardiner and Zaitsev
Can't say it any better. Defence is a tire fire and signing Tavares wouldn't fix that. If they blow their wad on JT and go into next year with that defence, it's bye bye in the first round again.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I have plenty to say.

It actually makes a ton of sense. There are less physical battles on the PK and less thinking is required. Most of our turnover trouble on the PK comes from players like Hainsey and Polak who aren't able to get a second of separation to make a solid clear, which is an area Gardiner excels.

Were not a crease clearing team and most battles on the PK are situations where you're outmanned.

Its not a numbers argument for me, it's style. He's not your traditional PKer, but he doesn't need to be. The way teams PK has changed.

Reactions: diceman934

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I can't take it.

Please everyone. Hockey is not a game of keep away. Eventually you are going to lose the puck because of a mistake, losing the draw, a give away. You have to defend. I am not at all saying that Hainsey, Polak, and Zaitsev are the greatest options in the NHL. I do however know that Gardiner is not used to kill penalties by many coaches. Is it possible? Sure. A lobotomy can certainly change things.

Reactions: Cams and FifthLine

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
No. I completely disagree. Ask your nearest Selke winner how they define it. You might be surprised.
I don’t really have a selke winner to ask and you probably don’t either. I know when talking about defencemen which we are there hasn’t been a Norris trophy winner that hasn’t excelled at skating and puck movement in a while. Erik Karlsson and PK Subban, what do you think their best assets are until they get over the opposing teams blueline?

Disagreeing is fine. Again if you don’t think the ability to move the puck is a priority and a defensive asset in 2018 then we have a different mindset on how the game is played and having a discussion probably isn’t going to change our view.

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
It's a shame, Mirtles articles have really gone down hill since he joined the Athletic. Rarely ever does reporting, all just opinion pieces.

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
You get the puck back. I’m just saying puck moving is a priority for defencemen these days, not disregard all other defensive attributes. Of course you can’t keep the puck the full game.
This is true. But I get what the other poster is saying. It's the typical pendulum swing going on in hockey. For so long, defense was all about size, strength and physicality while it didn't matter if you could even handle the puck. Now its swung to far the other way, where it seems a lot of people don't value defensive skill and act as if strength, size and physicality don't play a part in hockey anymore. They both need to be valued.

Reactions: Green Snow Storm

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I can't take it.

Please everyone. Hockey is not a game of keep away. Eventually you are going to lose the puck because of a mistake, losing the draw, a give away. You have to defend. I am not at all saying that Hainsey, Polak, and Zaitsev are the greatest options in the NHL. I do however know that Gardiner is not used to kill penalties by many coaches. Is it possible? Sure. A lobotomy can certainly change things.

The days were you used big heavy feet d man to kill penalties have past us by. Same as playing a box and sagging into the house while defending. You did watch the Playoffs Washington was fantastic as they pressured the puck taking time and space away from their opponents and easily shut down the other teams pp. You need D man who have great feet and can skate to play this style.

Gardiner who be far better then Polak and Haisney as both struggled with pressuring the puck and giving up far to much time and space to the other teams pp. Babcock wants D man who can play on either the PP or PK but needs to put out players who are capable. Gardiner has been misused because he most definitely is capable of using his feet to pressure pucks and if he gets possession getting the puck out of our zone. He could play second pair but Not using Rielly to start the PK is a waste of his ability.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I can't take it.

Polak and Zaitsev are arguably the dumbest players on our team. Neither can read basic contain vs. attack situations and Zaitsev is a horrific partner because he struggles so much with reading pressure and knowing when to make himself an option. Doesn't seem like smarts is the issue.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
So what happens when you inevitably don't have the puck?
You pressure the puck to get back possession. Not allowing teams to carry the puck through the middle of the ice creating speed and backing up defenders. Washington took away Vegas speed by stepping up and creating puck battles and limiting time and space for the puck carrier. The protected the ice in front of them and not behind them. Far to many defenders protect the ice behind themselves and give up far to much ice in front of themselves allowing for scoring chances against and more quality chances as well. We spend far to much time defending the ice behind our selves as we lack the skaters to defend the ice in front of us. This is for our D man. The forwards need to support the DMan by helping to defend the ice behind our D man.

Obliviate

Jun 26, 2018
You pressure the puck to get back possession. Not allowing teams to carry the puck through the middle of the ice creating speed and backing up defenders. Washington took away Vegas speed by stepping up and creating puck battles and limiting time and space for the puck carrier. The protected the ice in front of them and not behind them. Far to many defenders protect the ice behind themselves and give up far to much ice in front of themselves allowing for scoring chances against and more quality chances as well. We spend far to much time defending the ice behind our selves as we lack the skaters to defend the ice in front of us. This is for our D man. The forwards need to support the DMan by helping to defend the ice behind our D man.
You mean play defense.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Polak and Zaitsev are arguably the dumbest players on our team. Neither can read basic contain vs. attack situations and Zaitsev is a horrific partner because he struggles so much with reading pressure and knowing when to make himself an option. Doesn't seem like smarts is the issue.
I said this all his first year about Zietsev and far to many people on here said he was our best D man. He struggles with reads, funny thing is that he was better this past season then he was his first year. I see some light at the end of the tunnel with him. He just needs to play KISS hockey and he will be fine.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
It's a shame, Mirtles articles have really gone down hill since he joined the Athletic. Rarely ever does reporting, all just opinion pieces.
I agree he does a lot of opinion pieces but with the amount of content they have to put out I'm fine with that.

My favorite author has to be Ian Tulloch. He goes so in depth and provides so much evidence in his articles, it's a lot to sink your teeth into.

Reactions: FifthLine

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I kinda imagined Dubas was going to bring in 2 solid, but unspectacular RHD to fill in our defense. Too many people worrying about adding a star player. Just get some guys who can play solid minutes without being a liability.

Perhaps Marlies Graduates?

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
I think trading a guy who had a good rookie season and slumped a bit in his sophomore season is a good way to get BURNED.

Especially with some injury issues during that season. The guy has had past success, it's short-sighted and foolish to trade him after he struggled one season. I much rather discover it was the "sophomore slump" because of his bounce-back season on the Leafs than some other team. We're hurting for D, taking another look at Zaitsev doesn't cost any more.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I kinda imagined Dubas was going to bring in 2 solid, but unspectacular RHD to fill in our defense. Too many people worrying about adding a star player. Just get some guys who can play solid minutes without being a liability.

Honestly, its what the team really needs. A couple stable guys who can also either move or carry the puck out of the right hand side and eat up minutes

Last edited:
Reactions: Cams and Nizdizzle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad