Speculation: Mirtle/TheLeafReport trading Zaitsev or Hainsey

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
The Leaf Report - Post Draft Breakdown podcast. Around the 7 min. mark of the show.

"I think there could be some trades that people aren't expecting. I could see Kyle Dubas trading Nikita Zaitsev or Ron Hainsey. I don't think they are going to bring back Roman Polak either."

Wow. Our entire right defense could be on the move?

What do you think?

Reactions: bonjovi0308

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
It sucked last year. It needs fixing. No secrets there. How it gets done, who knows... .

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Man, it's not even July 1st, and between JT's decision and all this speculation, it's already killing me.

Dubas is such an unknown that it is impossible to predict what/where he is thinking. Not sure I trust him, but he sure seems to think he knows what/where he wants to go. I think Dubas is a lot more likely to go in a direction Lou would never do, or even think of, for better or for worse.

I'd feel more comfortable with Lou still at the helm as the GM's really are an old boy's club that I'm not sure Dubas fits into, but you can't say that Dubas lacks the 'nads or the confidence to work his plan, and he does have a big gun in Shanahan backing him up.

It all starts with Tavares' decision, and goes from there, but either way, I think we are in for one hell of a ride over the next few weeks/months.

Reactions: hullsy47

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
if they can trade zaitsev and not take back an anchor contract, that would be amazing. the entire defense needs an overhaul and i want to believe dermott and possibly reilly are the only untouchables on the backend.

Reactions: Cams

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The Leaf Report - Post Draft Breakdown podcast. Around the 7 min. mark of the show.

"I think there could be some trades that people aren't expecting. I could see Kyle Dubas trading Nikita Zaitsev or Ron Hainsey. I don't think they are going to bring back Roman Polak either."

Wow. Our entire right defense could be on the move?

What do you think?
Sounds like he's speculating the same as people here do.
What makes these thoughts special?

Reactions: ToneDog

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
You overestimate the GM's in this league.

Chiarelli will look at his point totals in his rookie year, see that he is an RHD and trade a first round pick for him.

That would be my dream!!

Oil suck and we draft Hughes next year.....

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Man, it's not even July 1st, and between JT's decision and all this speculation, it's already killing me.

Dubas is such an unknown that it is impossible to predict what/where he is thinking. Not sure I trust him, but he sure seems to think he knows what/where he wants to go. I think Dubas is a lot more likely to go in a direction Lou would never do, or even think of, for better or for worse.

I'd feel more comfortable with Lou still at the helm as the GM's really are an old boy's club that I'm not sure Dubas fits into, but you can't say that Dubas lacks the 'nads or the confidence to work his plan, and he does have a big gun in Shanahan backing him up.

It all starts with Tavares' decision, and goes from there, but either way, I think we are in for one hell of a ride over the next few weeks/months.

Keep in mind old boys club ages out just like players do, and Dubas has 30 - 40 years before he ages out.

Tempus fugit

Dubas was left with a mess on his defense, thanks in part to the Old Boys Club.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
There'd be acquisitions, or the internal replacements could produce a right side of Carrick/Holl/Ozhiganov. (Edit: To be fair, it said Zaitsev or Hainsey). Still, I don't expect more than one of the three to be in the opening night lineup.

Wouldn't be surprised with not re-signing Polak, but I don't know that there are six D to make Hainsey expendable, and I don't think a trade return on Zaitsev is going to be worth it, even as a RHD with term.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Could easily see Dubas tossing Hainsey out, think we'll wait a season on Zaitsev. But think there has to be a min. Top 4 quality RD coming back in a different trade to trade either

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Peddle the brain surgeon and zaitsev for d, then trade our first for tanev.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Sounds like he's speculating the same as people here do.
What makes these thoughts special?

It's hard to answer or respond to the judge, jury, and executioner.

I don't believe there is anything "special". The point of posting this is to create Leaf hockey discussion. I am not posting this because I think it's special.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad