News Article: Mirtle: Maple Leafs Ownership Could Make Massive Changes if 'Really Disappointing First-Round Exit' Happens Again in the Playoffs

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I can't see any scenario where u really owe anybody loyalty except mathews
Continuous losing 8n playoffs is ludicrous
I don't see the connection between your post I replied to and this one?

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
No other league is as different in contrast from the regular and playoffs than the NHL. Look at the history of Leaf playoff successes over the last 40 years, the team was never near the top as far as I can remember though Quinn had some 99 point teams I believe. He was also GM AND coach.

The term "President Trophy curse" is real. This is because the type of team that accumulates points in the regular is not the type of team that succeeds in the playoffs.

In the past the Leaf teams I had most faith in to win it all were not the most dominant in the regular season and some fans had lower expectations than I did.

The reason being is that too many look at stats and standings instead of "type" of team. Brad has done well to build the right type on the back end. He needs some work up front, this has to come from shedding some salary, I've said this for three years.

In fact, this offseason I stated I would move on from both Nylander and Marner, at minimum one of them. Build around Matthews and even a discounted JT come renewal.

There are many teams in the U.S who could use their flash and star power to sell tickets and help them get into the post-season. Leafs need a team built primarily (solely) for the post-season and just enough skill to get in.

Reactions: weems

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Having to overpay Marner because you overpaid Willie is so Leafy.
Letting Marner walk for nothing because you overpaid Nylander for a 2 month hot streak is BEYOND idiotic. And you can already tell just from watching the rest of this season play out that Nylander is NEVER going to have another season like this and this is going to go down as a deal as stupid as the one Trev gave Huberdeau last year...

Honestly, the right play now would be to start trying to trade Nylander the second the playoffs end, because you have to do it before the NMC kicks in July 1st. Honestly, he's the expendable one here (well, except for Tavares, but he ain't going anywhere until the end of next year period).

freshwind

Mar 23, 2002
Letting Marner walk for nothing because you overpaid Nylander for a 2 month hot streak is BEYOND idiotic. And you can already tell just from watching the rest of this season play out that Nylander is NEVER going to have another season like this and this is going to go down as a deal as stupid as the one Trev gave Huberdeau last year...

Honestly, the right play now would be to start trying to trade Nylander the second the playoffs end, because you have to do it before the NMC kicks in July 1st. Honestly, he's the expendable one here (well, except for Tavares, but he ain't going anywhere until the end of next year period).
willie's nmc is active now, kicked in the minute he signed the new deal

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
No other league is as different in contrast from the regular and playoffs than the NHL. Look at the history of Leaf playoff successes over the last 40 years, the team was never near the top as far as I can remember though Quinn had some 99 point teams I believe. He was also GM AND coach.

The term "President Trophy curse" is real. This is because the type of team that accumulates points in the regular is not the type of team that succeeds in the playoffs.

In the past the Leaf teams I had most faith in to win it all were not the most dominant in the regular season and some fans had lower expectations than I did.

The reason being is that too many look at stats and standings instead of "type" of team. Brad has done well to build the right type on the back end. He needs some work up front, this has to come from shedding some salary, I've said this for three years.

In fact, this offseason I stated I would move on from both Nylander and Marner, at minimum one of them. Build around Matthews and even a discounted JT come renewal.

There are many teams in the U.S who could use their flash and star power to sell tickets and help them get into the post-season. Leafs need a team built primarily (solely) for the post-season and just enough skill to get in.

While I agree about the type of team needed, those players have NMCs so would need to be convinced to waive.

What's worse? Our cap structure or this websites ad structure? I am on mobile and good God the entire lower half of the screen is a reactine ad and both vertical panels are framed in by Garnier fruit shampoo where I can't even see what I'm typing

Ad-blockers work really well. I don't see any ads at all.

Reactions: 56 Years No Cup

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
From kypreos' article in the star today:

But if these playoffs go south, maybe a new voice at the top would finally say enough is enough.

A domino effect of massive off-season change could follow, including moving on from Mitch Marner and finally ending the Core Four era. If anything, it would be Marner’s contract status, with one year remaining before free agency, that would dictate this decision the most. If the rumblings are true and he’s looking to surpass Nylander’s eight-year, $92-million (U.S.) deal, what other choice would the Leafs have but to trade him?
Lol

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

But if these playoffs go south, maybe a new voice at the top would finally say enough is enough.

A domino effect of massive off-season change could follow, including moving on from Mitch Marner and finally ending the Core Four era. If anything, it would be Marner’s contract status, with one year remaining before free agency, that would dictate this decision the most. If the rumblings are true and he’s looking to surpass Nylander’s eight-year, $92-million (U.S.) deal, what other choice would the Leafs have but to trade him?
Kypreos had head injuries, right?

• Haha
Reactions: ToneDog

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007

It's easier to trade Marner, as he only has one year left. Tell him you're not re-signing him and he's free to make a deal with a team that he wants as long as the Leafs' get a decent return. Probably won't get much but the 11 million in cap space plus Brodie's money can be used to re-balance the team by spending on a true #1 D and better tender.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
It's easier to trade Marner, as he only has one year left. Tell him you're not re-signing him and he's free to make a deal with a team that he wants as long as the Leafs' get a decent return. Probably won't get much but the 11 million in cap space plus Brodie's money can be used to re-balance the team by spending on a true #1 D and better tender.
Make him the face of the Utah Yetis/Saints/Coyotes. They have a wad of picks and high end prospects and he could play with Cooley. Love to pry Guenther+1st+dman from them and give them the pleasure of overpaying him.

Last edited:

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
About time people recognized what the team is with the core 4 leading the way and grew tired of it.
Best news I’ve heard in years. :thumbu:
Don't want to burst your bubble, but I think it means scouting and coaching staffs. The corps 4 is here to stay until contracts expire.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Seems kind of like "My buddy Kyle got the boot...so now Shanny should get it too"...I don't disagree in that Shanny is probably the guy who gets shot out of a cannon...with Mitch in tow if he does his usual thing.
Maybe Mirtle got that quote from Dubas last year and just noticed it among his notes. Looking it over he thought it sounded about right and then using his finely honed journalistic skills, crafted an outstanding pulitzer prize level piece of shlock.

Marner's contract is up at the end of next season.
Yes, and?

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
Maybe Mirtle got that quote from Dubas last year and just noticed it among his notes. Looking it over he thought it sounded about right and then using his finely honed journalistic skills, crafted an outstanding pulitzer prize level piece of shlock.

Yes, and?

Exactly. Jim Mirtle is a laughable hack with ZERO “connections” other than information his buddy Kyle Dumbass spoon feeds him.

Mirtle is EXTREMELY bitter that Dumbass was fired in Toronto. It’s even more embarrassing to see his failure in Pittsburgh.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
I hope you know that with the current contract situation, the only change to the core 4 possible now is letting either Marner or Tavares (or both) walk in free agency. For nothing.

It sucks, but yes that’s what it’s come to

Tavares makes no sense, he will sign for much, much cheaper

Marner is going to want a raise though.

Nylander already signed.

If someone walks, it has to be Marner. But that doesn’t mean the team will be worse. It could end up being the single move that gives this team the help in other areas of the ice to push to the cup

Or they could prove me wrong and just do it now. Up to them, I guess

What has Marner done to even deserve a raise? He’s not improving, he’s peaked.

If the leafs sign Marner for more than he’s making now I’ll f***ing lose it

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Nylander already signed.

If someone walks, it has to be Marner. But that doesn’t mean the team will be worse. It could end up being the single move that gives this team the help in other areas of the ice to push to the cup

Then get ready because he is not taking less than Nylander. Said it before, if he shits the bed again in the playoffs, you have to trade him or let him walk. We can lose in the playoffs with cheaper players.

Reactions: egd27 and rumman

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Then get ready because he is not taking less than Nylander. Said it before, if he shits the bed again in the playoffs, you have to trade him or let him walk. We can lose in the playoffs with cheaper players.

I’ve been ready, bro

Reactions: rumman

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007

Yes, and?
You said the Corpse 4 is here until their contracts expire. Marner's contract is going to expire at the end of next season. As is, now that I think of it, Tavares'.

Nylander already signed.

Bingo.

Reactions: Strangle

Strangle

May 4, 2009

Attachments

• IMG_3519.png
    IMG_3519.png
    144.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Haha
Reactions: ULF_55

Matthews4Calder

Nov 27, 2016
BC Western Canada

Nylander already signed.

Start losing it now because he will get a raise. This team or management hasn't learned anything in the past few years. Nylander's contract was an overpayment Marner's will be also.

Reactions: ToneDog

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Start losing it now because he will get a raise. This team or management hasn't learned anything in the past few years. Nylander's contract was an overpayment Marner's will be also.

I don’t understand how they could think that way.

These are supposed to be professional sports management people

How does paying more for, presumably less (over the assumed length of the contract) make any sense in anyone’s head who’s goal is to win a Stanley cup?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad