News Article: Mirtle: Maple Leafs Ownership Could Make Massive Changes if 'Really Disappointing First-Round Exit' Happens Again in the Playoffs

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018

They lose in the first round, there's going to be pretty big changes. And there could be big changes this year and potentially the year after. (Brendan) Shanahan's got the one year left on his deal. There's a new president of MLSE," Mirtle said.

"There's a lot going on up at the top of the Leafs, and I know for a fact ownership is not happy at all with the performance of the team in the playoffs. Like, they're pissed. If there's another really disappointing first-round exit, they're gonna want blood. And I don't know if just firing the coach is enough. I think they're gonna want more than that."

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
"There's a lot going on up at the top of the Leafs, and I know for a fact ownership is not happy at all with the performance of the team in the playoffs. Like, they're pissed. If there's another really disappointing first-round exit, they're gonna want blood. And I don't know if just firing the coach is enough. I think they're gonna want more than that."

Comedy level lip service / disinformation

If you believed that for one second you’re a gullible fool.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
I’m good with that, have been for about 3 years lol

If they fall again, it just continues to prove everyone who doubts them right

Tbh a second round exit is marginally better than a first, maybe not at all.

It’s not fully cup or bust, but we gotta at least make the conference finals and compete. No getting swept like that canes do, that shouldn’t be enough

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
Mirtle is pretty well connected no? He had a fairly accurate read on Dubas and his contract being in hot water if I recall correctly

Honestly I'd have been less upset if we lost to Tampa in 7 last year than make it to the 2nd round and get dusted in 5.

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
About time people recognized what the team is with the core 4 leading the way and grew tired of it.
Best news I’ve heard in years. :thumbu:

Reactions: ToneDog

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I feel like for a professional organization like MLSE this is definitely not a direct quote. If they feel that way I fully understand and agree, just doubt they’d have voiced this, to Mirtle of all people in that exact way

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
This is click bait… IMO, no professional sports franchise would ever speak like that to the media.
Well it’s not like media types aren’t prone to twisting words and sensationalizing.
I’d find it harder to believe there isn’t a considerable level of disappointment amongst the ivory tower gang. They can’t all be blind or have low standards.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Comedy level lip service / disinformation

If you believed that for one second you’re a gullible fool.
Ownership only cares once they're losing money/ticket sales or the brand is being damaged in some way. Both were happening when Shanny had "the meeting" with ownership years back.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
It's an article that would only show up in Toronto right before the playoffs start. Just a waste of space. Good thing it won't be relevant when the Leafs get to the conference final.
Perhaps somebody high up is indirectly sending a message to Shanny, the coaching staff and players just before the playoffs start. Some might call it a wake up call.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I tend to predict MLSE decisions to likely favor s more conservative, "don't rock the boat" too much approach when it comes to this sort of stuff

That said it's also worth acknowledging though that Shanny's contract is set to expire after next season..which in turn presents ownership with opportunity and motive to make changes if they do choose

Mirtle is pretty well connected no? He had a fairly accurate read on Dubas and his contract being in hot water if I recall correctly

Honestly I'd have been less upset if we lost to Tampa in 7 last year than make it to the 2nd round and get dusted in 5.

He's not known for click bait or rumor mongering at least not with his written articles. His embrace of stats certainly seems to irritate some people though.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Ownership only cares once they're losing money/ticket sales or the brand is being damaged in some way. Both were happening when Shanny had "the meeting" with ownership years back.
How much money have they lost by being punted early in the playoffs for 8 straight years ? How many Leafs fans have stopped watching the payoffs once the Leafs are out? At some point, somebody has to say enough is enough and I think the dummies at MLSEL are close to their breaking point. Tre in for Dubas looks like it has made a positive impact on the team. Maybe another first round exit will be a signal that it is time for a change at the top, behind the bench and possibly the core.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'm fine with Shanahan at the helm because I've seen so much worse with other teams even with the Leafs. He's at least been able to rebuild this mess years ago into something that is a lot more respectable, on and off the ice. People put far too much emphasis on blaming Shanahan for the lack of post-season success and not enough with what he was able to do when he took over. We'll see if his gamble with Treliving pays off, but I think keeping Keefe was a mistake when there should have been a bit of a reset both at the management and coaching level.

With that said, you gotta make changes when success hasn't been there in the post-season. Nature of the business. It is fairly unacceptable to not have been able to reach at least the ECF.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad